Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
It doesn't :think

last one I did was the same both ways(within a few minutes) somewhere that close couldn't have such an extended flying time-i've known longer routes be extended by that sort of timeframe.

Unless fuel was a problem and they needed to get a top up somewhere that would equate to 2 hours delay- that has happened on a Cape Verde flight before.
According to the Thomson web site outbound Dep 10:00 Arrive 13:50 Shown as 4.5hrs Dept Cape Verde.14:50 Arrive 22:35.Shown as 6.45hrs Cape Verde is BST-3hrs Something doesnt add up.
What dates are you travelling one? If local time in the Cape Verde Isles is BST -3hrs then this means that they are on GMT -2 hrs. So if you are travelling there after October 26th when BST ends this year then it does add up and gives you an outbound flight time of 5hrs 50mins and an inbound flight time of 5hrs 45mins, which sounds about right. Most TOs quote a flight time of around 5hrs 30mins from the UK.

SM
It doesn't :think

Yes it does, my mates went last month and it was 2 hours longer on the way back.
qatarman,

The flight is operated by a Boeing 767-304/ER that has more than enough range to make the journey non-stop (can do double the distance / flying time). There haven't been any aircraft changes over the last couple of months and none scheduled for the rest of the summer season. The flight is direct unless there is a problem onroute. There may be a problem with the flight times quoted. I've just been going through the aircraft schedule list and unless they are expecting a fair tail wind or brought Concorde out of retirement, you aren't going to get to SID in under 5 hours! LGW-SID is 2684 miles. If there are strong northerly winds at this time of year, eg 40-50kn, then that could explain the shorter outbound journey and longer inbound, but not 2 hours.

Darren
Problem solved! According to this website

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/africa/cape-verde/time.htm

the Cape Verde Isles are on GMT-1 so are currently two hours behind BST and still will be when you go in September. So the times do add up if that is the case. I did think it a little strange that they should be 2 time zones away from the UK as it looks to be an almost due South flight path on the map. Being only one hour behind GMT does seem to make more sense!

For future reference the following site lets you check local time in the UK against local time anywhere else in the world really easily

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/convert_time_in_GB.aspx

Using this converter gives you flight times in each direction of a little under 6 hours,
SM
It is about 5:30 each way as Cape Verde is is GMT-1, but doesn't have BST, meaning that between March-October it is two hours behind.
Thank you for the replys,I think Thomsons need to address the way they put flight times.The question was for a freind who is going in september.
I think Thomsons need to address the way they put flight times.

It is standard practice to give flight arrival and departure times in local time as Thomson have done and brochures do normally state this as well indicating the average duration for flights. There was only confusion in this instance because your friend was basing their calculations on inaccurate information re the time difference between the UK and Cape Verde. Did the brochure or information sheet from Thomson's say that Cape Verde is on GMT-1hr (BST-2hrs)? In which case this inaccuracy does need to be pointed out to them but otherwise I can't see that this is Thomson's problem - they've just followed standard industry practice.

SM
It's alright SMa, Qatarman is our resident Thomson basher. Every website needs one ;)
As the resident Thomsonfly basher I suggest you check Thomson holidays web site where it says Duration 6hrs 45mins on the return flight to Manchester. Last time I checked duration in the dictionary it gave "the period in which an event continues" and people would take that as FLYING TIME,so maybe you could advise Thomson holidays to amend this.
And for BY-TOM-AMM-FCA nobody was bashing anything just asking a question so please if you dont have anything constructive to add to the question dont respond.
Actually MAN-SAL-MAN is quoted as 5:50out and 5:45rtn on the Thomson website
not 6:45
BY-TOM-AMM-FCA
THOMSON HOLIDAYS WEB SITE not THOMSONFLY,it states 6.45min whats wrong do you think people cannot read only you.
http://www.thomson.co.uk/
Qatarman, "only respond if you have something constructive to say"- I do not believe what I think has any relavence on an airlines flight schedule?

I AM ON THE THOMSON HOLIDAYS WEBSITE AND IT STATES 5HOURS 45MINUTES/50MINUTES

copy and pasted from the THOMSON HOLIDAYS website

10:35 15:25 5hr 50mins Direct Thomsonfly
16:25 23:10 5hr 45mins Direct Thomsonfly
Ok everyone, let's please keep this topic friendly.

I suggest you familiarise yourselves with the t&c of the site. In particular number three.

3. Show respect and courtesy to all other users

Ta

Kath x
If you check out the dates for say 9th September, it actually shows a duration of 4.50 out and 6:45mins on the return leg.

Kath x
It is just an error on the website, the aircraft is scheduled to make it in 5:45 that day according to the fleet schedule I have access to. So it is just a website error!

all this excitement over a random website error! :rofl
See Qatarman- replies can be constructive when correcting people.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.