Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi

I found that it is now on par with the UK reguarding prices.
Wine for a bottle was very expensive where we were about £15 a bottle of red.
Beer about £2.80 heineken and stella, their own make sakara (sp?) was the same price.
Spirits were about £4 with mixer on top.

If A1 then its all free.

Food 3 years ago was dirt cheap, a 3 course meal, large bottle of water, two spites, a starter and chicken dinner with jacket pots etc cost us around £15 total.

Now for the same meal tis more like £25 ahead.

Generally spirits are more expensive and beer.

Coke about £1.20
Spirte £1.20.

I would estimate that for a week for two of you to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and drinks approx £400, so £800 for 2 weeks, thats eating normal foods.

Personally speaking its cheaper going A1.
Thanks Michelle. The more I'm learning about Egypt, I'm tending to agree that AI would suit us better. Thanks for answering my query :)
Eating out in Egypt Shirleyh isn't something i'd recommend. We've been there twice now and i'd say you need to go AI. Just returned from Taba as you know, we left the hotel once to eat out, and hubby was ill the day after. We stayed AI and apart from that 1 day we were both fine. You'd have to go 4* plus to go AI (my opinion). Egypt has also gone dearer since we were there last. The movenpick where we stayed hosted a HB or an AI. Thank god we opted for AI as it cost 50 egyptian pounds for a beer, which is approx £6.50.
it cost 50 egyptian pounds for a beer, which is approx £6.50.

:really Ridiculous price Marlou. Lucky you were AI, as you say. I think we might be re thinking our destination after researching prices. Goa's back on the cards again :rofl
Now I've remembered Shirleyh, a bottle of red banrock station was available at the bar, with the price of £95. Honest to god I even asked if it was a miss print, but no that was the price!! :really :really
I buy that in Morrisons for under £7. My goodness with this supposedly world wide recession you'd think prices would be coming down in order to entice more tourists. The Egyptians are obviously one nation that haven't cottoned on to the credit crunch
Helen, can we cross it off our list please? :duh
No just go AI Shirleyh, you won't be sorry :D
Yes i noticed that wine by the bottle is very expensive in the restaurants to buy, and a glass was £3.50, a bottle of decent champagne was about £100 per bottle, which from Morrisions would be around £15 :que
Cross it off for now Shirl - but I'm sure it'll worm its way back on before we're ready to book.
Don't know how you and OH coped Marlou. Didn't you say you only had your AI until 5pm :really
That was on the last day Shirley. The AI on other days started at 9am and finished at 11pm. Couldn't get alcohol before 11am though.
One must remember that the exchange rate has gone from nearly 12E to 8E in the past 14 months so everything is 50% dearer even without the price rises :(
The prices you are quoting are enough to put people of Egypt forever !!!!!!!

We have visited Egypt .the last time being Dec 2008 [ The Red Sea Area ] 8 times...............the most we have ever paid for a bottle of wine is 110LE [ Omar Khayam which is a nice wine ]..........a meal consisting of : a meat platter, a fish platter , bread, rice, salad, 2 Sakarra,3coke was 140LE for 4 people..........We have eaten in Dahab where a meal for 3 , including drinks cost 90LE, and also in Nuweiba City where it cost 100LE for 4 people...............shish kebabs, meat platter, fish platter, rice, salad, bread, dips, water, juices !! and have never been ill once [ as long as you take normal precautions] . Also in Sharm, the Market where we ate at Sinai Star, the food great and really cheap !

So........... You can eat out cheaply !!!!!

I find it odd that the 3 people that are posting on this thread, except for Derwentrocker, Chelsea 1 , are related !!!!!!!

Why communicate via HT ?
I was generlising on a 3 course meal as we are pigs :cheers . Although we go A1 at my usual haunt, i still prefer to eat out under the stars :) That meal would also be something out of the ordinary maybe a squid or pigeon, although i eat steak till the cows come home :really

I eat what i fancy as well, so i always go over budget although saying this i dont really have a budget ;)
How strange that Flamingo has only made 1 post,yet knows who and who is not related. :que
Jay Trip wrote:
How strange that Flamingo has only made 1 post,yet knows who and who is not related. :que

I was thinking that as well jay. Seems odd. :que Perhaps they own an apartment out there or something and have a vested interest in keeping people out of AI hotels. Funny post for a first post.
I am staying out of it :rofl Don't want my membership revoked :cry But i did think the same, you never know i could be a relative in disguise as an Egyptian Cleo :think
Being related has nothing to do with it Flamingo!! We are talking about the subject as stated, so does that mean that the three of us can't make posts in the same thread because we're related. I didn't realize that was in the guidelines :que :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.