Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
There are plenty of cheap places to eat Shirley and you can always get "menu del dia" at very reasonable prices. Another way to eat cheaply is to find some Tapas bars and just pick an assortment off the menu.
We were in Torremolinos December and January and found that it was much cheaper to eat in Fuengirola than Torremolinos from what I saw advertised.

luci :wave
Thanks both for your replies. Do you think the weather will be o.k at the end of March? I have asked this in a separate thread but haven't had any replies. Thanks
It's difficult to predict March. It can be lovely and sunny and quite warm, but it can also rain and the evenings can be a bit chilly. I suggest you take a mixture of clothing.
Try to find an aparthotel. This is a mixture of a hotel and apartments. All rooms have a kitchen. If you have days when you don't want to go out for dinner or lunch, you can stay in the hotel without having to make use of their restaurants.

In Torremolinos you have the Benalmadena Palace, they cater for British. In Fuengirola you will find hotel PYR, located close to the harbour and city centre.

When you go to a supermarket, make sure you find one in a residential area as they tend to be cheaper.
Thanks for the advice. Not quite ready to book yet.
If you are self catering it doesn't really matter which resort you choose. I live nearer to Torremolinos and love it - Benalmadena is on the door step but it does depend on what kind of holiday you want.
There are lots of supermarkets in both areas - Lidl (very cheap and very good quality) Euromarket, Supersol - Carrefour etc. Like Asda and Tesco in UK.
Depends what kind of food you want to cook but very good range of meats like pork chops, steaks, chicken, mince, burgers or lamb chops.
Spain does not have a large choice of ready meals like uk - you can buy lasagne and pizza etc to put in the oven.
The french sticks are good to put in any of the meats you can buy in Lidl (our favourite shop) along with salad stuff and pickles for a nice lunch along with a bottle of wine or a beer from there. They do a nice pack of smoked salmon at 3.29 Euros - £2.25 - which we have for 2 meals and some very nice ham - look for a green packet - Jamon Cocido Y Ahumado extra - is about the same price - 5 big slices - like UK york ham. The wine and beer is a good price and tastes good.
If you want to know anything else just ask.
If you eat out for dinner it will cost you from about £7 each (11 euros) unless you just have burger and chips etc - eat at home if you want a cheapie - have a couple of drinks on the balcony and go out for a drink later and meet other people on holiday and have a laugh.
If you like Chinese food these are the best value for money restaurants on the Costas - you can get a meal for about £3.50 but beware of the drinks prices - can cost as much as the meal.
Goodnight for now
Thanks Narial. The last part of your message answered my question. It was eating and drinking out prices that I was after. Eventhough we go Self Catering, I never cook in the apartment (what kind of holiday is that?). We tend to wonder round the resort sampling different eateries and bars. We MIGHT have the occasional breakfast on the balcony but that's it. Lunch and dinner everyday is eaten out.
Thanks again!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.