Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Forum so quiet?
42 Posts
Most of HT is quiet these days and I doubt very much that it's because people aren't taking holidays. In the past it was a large and friendly community and the forums were a hive of activity but that has long gone. Some of us who knew and loved it then may have our ideas as to why this has happened but we have learnt to keep our own counsel.
Yes, it is very quiet! I come on because I know I can ask people like Aslemma for advice but I find very little else to grab my interest.
Whilst I can still offer a little advice occasionally I'll stick around prawn, and I'll also still ask for advice when I need it, as I'm sure several of the other old hands will continue to do. Things are bound to change over the years but it's a moot point whether this is always progress.
Facebook has a lot to dowith it ..people setting up groups on there it's easy to access etc
Facebook can no doubt be blamed for a lot of things but I don't think it can be blamed for this as its ethos is completely different. As its name implies, HT was set up to provide unbiased and truthful information for holiday-makers in a friendly setting and at some stage an area for more general chat was set up, but that was not the main purpose of the site, Some of us made good friends on here, a few of which have since become friends on FB, but that is incidental. It is also worth noting that the spin-off from HT, the Off Topic Lounge, seems to have plenty of activity.
greetings aslemma ,wee-john here .I am a reasonably newby to goa ,only one previous visit in Feb 2013 but we enjoyed it immensely and are off to Calangute on Wednesday 5Th .
I have gleaned quite a few snippets of info in my visits to the forum thanks to all who contribute
I am a Turkeyite ,visited for last 15 years and find it difficult to go anywhere else but Goa has me hooked Iam in mid 70's and old dogs and new tricks apply .
I shall write a little epistle of my hol on my return .regards Wee-John
Hi John, it's nice to meet you. I too am one of the older members on here and your previous addiction to Turkey sounds much like mine to Tunisia, which I have been visiting a couple of times a year for over 14 years. I think as one gets older, whilst your sense of adventure may be in no way dimmed, you do have a reasonable idea of your limitations, and with osteoporosis and a somewhat dodgy heart the fact that Tunisia is reasonably flat suits me fine. Added to this I have a smattering of the lingo now, which is a help when 'negotiating' in the souks. :wink:

Have a good flight on Wednesday and a great holiday and I look forward to reading your report on your return,
I used to post very regularly on here (been a member since 2005) but when it closed down for a while (do I have that right?) I started using TA more.
That's very busy but less organised than HT as the mods on here keep topics 'tidy' whereas on TA, you might have dozens of separate visa threads.

I think some people moved to the Facebook Meet & Greet but I don't 'do' Facebook.

Have a great holiday, John.
I never seem to find much time to come here lately facebook mafia wars has me hooked its so addictive and time consuming but I still pop by here when I can ))
I've never played any of the games on FB and only use it to keep in touch with the family and a few friends, all of which I know either personally or through this site, so it's certainly not that which has lured me away from HT.
Thanks to those that come on and continue to post its appreciated :)
Not a problem Phil, but when one posts updates on stuff, and other members immediately follow up with "who cares", it makes you wonder why you bother?
Hi Botany Bay :wave
I completely agree it would make you feel like that, but I care :) And if there any are specific instances you want to share with me, you can always PM me and ill do my best to help.

I am guilty of being absent recently, but I will make an effort to pop in and see how everyone is and contribute when I can :)
I'm always around, a lack of trip reports is a let down though.. but the photos and videos that elephant and Max the biker put up are great to see. Still, it's only 10 days 'till we jet off 'back home' to Goa so expect a write up on my return.
Spike :sun2
botany bay wrote:
Not a problem Phil, but when one posts updates on stuff, and other members immediately follow up with "who cares", it makes you wonder why you bother?

That's appalling. It's bad enough when people don't bother to even acknowledge information and assistance freely given in response to their questions but that is inexcusably rude.
...but when one posts updates on stuff, and other members immediately follow up with "who cares", it makes you wonder why you bother?

Not something I can actually ever think of noticing and definitely not something that we would allow on HT, open friendly discussions yes but NOT down right rudeness.
I will use this opportunity to remind everybody, although most members don't need reminding :tup that here on HT we pride ourselves on providing informative and very importantly FRIENDLY replies and advice on a huge variety of holiday and general travel topics and as per our T&C's we expect all posts to be respectful and courteous to other users.

Graham
HT Moderator
I thought I remembered reading the "who cares" remark and thought it was about the new airport in Goa ( and Kiltman has now added to that post ) to be fairly balanced here the remark was made over 6 weeks ago !! As I read it the airport opening is long overdue , the remark wasn't just "WHO CARES " it was preceded by it will be open when it's open , said in a way that people seem to have given up waiting for when its open :que I don't think it was made in a way to be rude to anyone , and the fact that a couple of days later the same poster did apologise for making a flippant remark , but that was how he felt ( about the long awaited opening ) seems to be totally forgotten .

..... So perhaps that's why it was never noticed because it was a little spat , nothing aggressive or personal , someone said sorry for being a bit flippant , shake hands , move on and the end .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.