Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Fred Olsen tends to attract an older clientele. However their ships are smaller and more friendly. Hopefull some will have more specific information.

luci :wave
Hi
We have enjoyed 10 cruises with Fred Olsen on all their ships but have never been on Boudicca.
As you can imagine we must enjoy Freds cruises.

The food is first class.

The crew cannot do enough for you and some even remember you when you return :D

O and we have booked exactly the same cruise as you ( that is if you have booked the first cruise in Feb 2013 as there is also another one later in February 2013)

We wanted to do the 2012 Northern Lights cruise but it was fully booked :cry

Hope to see you on the cruise! O and the Northern Lights :cheers
We've booked to go on the Black Watch in September 2012 to go see Norway. Im hoping we get to see the northern lights. Anyway from what i'e been told, the ships do have a lot of the older end passengers on and it is a bit posh, but it's supposed to be very enjoyable.
It depends what you mean by old people. :que There are older passengers (after all they do need a holiday) but age ranges are more often mid/late 40s to late 60s but the advantage is that even though there may be some youngsters on there there are only a handful and usually well behaved. It also depends on the destination of the cruise as regards age range. As I stated earlier we have been on 10 cruises with Fred and always enjoyed ourselves. O, I am 56 and my wife is 42 and the old people don`t bother us. In fact we find some of them have some very interesting life stories to tell. ;)
my wife and i had two cruises on this ship last year we both had a wonderful time...no problems whatsoever... :tup :tup :tup
A bit off topic but Fred Olsen won cruise line of the year at the Cruise International Awards !
:)
We went to the Christmas Markets on the Balmoral and really enjoyed it, the staff couldn't do enough for us. It isn't too big and we found it a very friendly ship, there were lots of elderly people on in fact one lady was 98.
just returned from a wonderful christmas/new year cruise on the balmoral .
had a great time ,many thanks to the entertainment hosts.you were fantastic.
I am considering a Fred Olson Cruise this year have previously only used Thomson as it's very informal - so I need to investigate a bit more, I don't like the ball gowns and tiara's not for me at all, just casual - it seems Fred Olsen is informal too. The only thing that did put me off a little was the fact that it appeared to cater for the 60+ age group, but thats been covered off here and not quite that age group.
Still deciding what to do re Xmas markets - a cruise or a land trip.

Anyway, have found a similar itinerary on 2 of Fred Olsen's ships - Black Watch and Boudicca. Would really appreciate any advice from people who may have been on one or both ships.

Rosalyn
There are two massive (well they look massive to me) Fred Olsen cruise liners just arrived in what I think is George V dock or whatever is the name of the last London Dock that was ever built, the really deep one. I wonder if they have brought in people who are going to compete in the games or maybe they are for extra accommodation ?

Anyway to me who knows nothing about cruises I though they looked really swanky and we nearly crashed the car trying to see the of the names on them, I beleive one was called Gemini but couldn't see the other one. Most impressive, I certainly wouldn't turn down a week on one. Maybe they will be there for the full six weeks or so?

:sun2
northantsj went on a Christmas markets cruise last year and enjoyed it. Perhaps if you post in this topic she may reply if she is subscribed to it

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/fred-olsen-balmoral-t154198.html?hilit=northantsj
anybody going on the iceland cruise on boudicca on the 26th august 2012?
back from my iceland cruise on the boudicca, enjoyed it so much have booked to go to madeira on the 4th nov, sailing from portsmouth on the boudicca. vivien
We went on a Fred Olsen cruise to the Christmas Markets on the Balmoral last December and really enjoyed it even though we had force 9 gales but the ship was brilliant. The food is good and staff very friendly and helpful and there was something to do every day. We visited Amsterdam, Denmark, Sweden and Germany and would certainly recommend it. We've booked to go on the Black Watch later in the year to Gibraltar,Spain and Portugal which we're looking forward to. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but didn't see your post.
Just returned from a Baltic cruise on the Thomson Spirit the passengers on that I would say were 70+ but we all had a good time I had considered Fred Olsen but had been put off by reviews commenting about mainly elderly passengers and the fact that it is more formal, However I still have them on my list.
I think there are a number of reasons they attract the older end including sailing from UK (No flying) visiting more cooler cultural destinations as opposed the sun spots.
I'm sure you'd enjoy the Fred Olsen cruises I admit there are a lot of elderly persons on the ship including an 98 year old woman on the Balmoral I couldn't believe it. There were also some young families with children. I'd recommend the Christmas Markets that trip was brilliant.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.