Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Fuengirola
49 Posts
tim, sorry you had this experience of fuengirola, we are going out next week, me hubby and 7yr old daughter and am a bit dissmayed to hear that you wouldn't take your family to this resort !
we are first time visitors to the resort and I will take on board what you have said in your post.
However, I will go with an open mind and, judging by the other reports on H.T, will use all the caution I would at home and have a great time as , having saved hard for my family holiday any negative reports are pretty minor as opposed to positive ones !
will certainly report an honest revue of my experience, as you have, so roll on next wednesday !!!!!!
cheers,
juby
Me and my missus have been going to Fuengirola for over thirty years and haven`t experienced anything like Tim`s report. They are called looky-looky men and we have always found them polite. As with the timeshare touts, a "no thank you" seems to do the trick. Regarding the muggings, the reason for the heavy police presence in Benalmadena is because there has been a mini crime wave there recently involving mainly East Europeans. Also a lot of local youths drinking in the streets which the Bill is clamping down on. Everybody needs to be vigilant in all CDS resorts these days.
All I can say is that I have been to fuengy for the last 4 years, and yes there is the lucky lucky men,but a kind no thanks is all you need to say, as with the ladys of the night and the hair braiders outside the las palmeras/el puerto yep they are there but just ignore them be vigilent,and have your wits about you, you get scumbags in every country/city and I have not seen any other crime, muggings whilst there, the reason why benalmadena has such a high police presence is that it has a 24 hr square with loads of drunken idiots, gangs of youths boozed up and kicking off cos they cannot handle there drink, watch costa del crime, its always benalmadena that has the trouble, thus loads of police and the spanish police dont put up with any trouble!! and I am staying where all the brading hair women and lucky lucky men are(the las palmeras) and opp the harbour and yep its buzzing but is fine...I live in manchester and we get beggers/chavs selling cheap watches/ etc and again this does not make manchester rough, deansgate is lovely, but again will get the odd idiot..dont let this put you off fuengiriola make your own mind up and go with an opened mind, and have your wits about you and you will have a happy funfilled holiday...its brilliant!!!
I have been to Fuengirola this year and didn't feel uneasy, its not my favourite resort but certainly didn't seem any more threatening than any other resort, maybe we were just lucky, or maybe you guys were just unlucky withnessing what you did.

LOOKY LOOKY men are found in every resort / city in Spain, Italy etc. and I actually have had quite a good laugh with them.

As with anywhere, people just need to be aware that just cos its a holiday resort it does not mean that low life aren't around.

I hope what you witnessed and heard were only isolated incidents, its the first I've heard about Fuengirola having a crime problem.

As for ladies of the night, its the oldest profession in the world and occurs in all corners of the globe probably in every village, town & city without most people even realising.

I appreciate your warning but would say to people don't be put off, just be aware.

Mark
Having been to Fuengirola about 5 times a year for the last 7 years, I can safely say you've nothing to worry about regards the looky looky men. Every one I have come across has been friendly and a polite no thanks is all it takes for them to move on. They're harmless.
Many times I have been eating a paella along the front only to be approached by someone trying to sell me a glove puppet, an elvis impersonating battery operated pig, a fake rolex or a DVD of something not yet released in UK cinemas. A polite wave of the hand and they move on to the next table, trying to sell some German a fake copy of Harry Potter.
I was once half cut in fish alley and ended up buying a battery operated dancing Jamaican for 10 euros. When I woke up next day I just laughed about it, after all it's a holiday, it's about having a bit of a laugh.
The ladies of the night do occasionally prowl up and down the busy stretch near the London Pub but if you choose to ignore them you'll be fine. I'm amazed that a group of lads would be offended by these people.
Muggings go on in every resort and I've yet to come across any bad experiences with regard to this in Fuengirola. In no doubt goes on, but as previously put as you would at any resort use your wits. Don't go walking along the back streets late at night on your own, play it safe, stay along the busy parts and get a taxi.
Fuengirola to most people is an excellent resort. Loads of very good restaurants, bars, shops, a huge stretch of beach and a bus station that allows you to visit most other parts of the Costa Del Sol at a very convenient and cheap cost.
I wonder what time of the day this was all happening.
I live up the road in Mijas and only see or hear of that sort of stuff in the early hours of the morning in Fuengirola. The targets of the thieves are normally very drunk tourists, not hard to find in all the CDS resorts and the "ladies" target blokes on their own or in all male groups, because that is who normally partake of their services ;) The looky lookies are very passive, a polite no thank you has always worked for me. Bear in mind that they will be deported if they are caught by the police so it is not in their interest to be aggressive and take a chance on being arrested.
As for the drug dealers, is that the only time you have been approached in the street by one? Believe me it happens all over the world, you don't have to say yes.
Other than the bag snatching which is a horrible experience but VERY rare, I would have thought a group of blokes aged between 20 and 40 would have had a great old time in Fuengirola.
I doubt very much you would be approached by drug dealers, prostitutes and aggressive looky lookies if you are walking around Fuengirola with your family during the day and before midnight.
We were in Fuengirola last month and saw NO trouble whatsoever. Lovely place infact. The looky looky men were irritating when you're trying to eat your dinner, but ignoring them or saying "no" was always adequate. They never sat down next to us. Looky
looky men are everywhere in Spanish tourist areas, Fuengirola is no different. At the end of the day, the hair-braiders and looky looky people are there to make a little bit of money, and to escape from probable poverty in Africa. They aren't doing any real harm.

As for the "ladies of the night", it's the oldest profession in the world! They are everywhere, in every city, town in the world. It is naive to think that Fuengirola won't have any. Besides, we never noticed any.

The police in Benalmadena will be there to arrest drunken tourists. If you're stupid enough to start being obnoxious near a man or woman with a gun in their holder, then you are a fool and deserve to get arrested.

I felt safer in Fuengirola than I do in Leeds City Centre of an evening. In Leeds (as in any other city), you get hassled by smack heads off their face, drunken men and women falling out of pubs and getting into fights and as a woman in a club, you are at risk of getting your drink spiked.

As I am given to understand, serious crime in Fuengirola is rare. Yes, there will be petty crime such as pick-pocketing, but you get that everywhere. You just have to be careful and not look like an easy target. Not having your bag open or leaving camera's or mobiles in easy reach is a sensible precaution anywhere in the world. We never saw anyone pickpocketed.

Anywhere on the planet where there are tourists getting drunk you will find prostitutes, pick-pockets, people selling knock-off tack and gambling. Easy money. It has gone on since the beginning of time, and will last forever.
:offtop The one thing I have never understood about prostitution being the oldest profession in the world, how did the first customers erm pay for their services as the prostitutes would have been the only ones with a job :que :rofl
Well, I'm glad others replied before me because I've stayed in the hotel Las Palmeras twice, and we visit Fuengirola every time we're in the area, and went there last month.
During the afternoon we walked on the Paseo Maritimo and saw all the Africanos on that bit which the OP mentions, some were sat on the steps as you go into the shopping square/area at the side of the hotel Las Palmeras.

None of them tried to sell me anything, but, I've no doubt that if I'd have stopped walking and taken an interest in something, then like anybody else, they would be eager for a sale"¦..these lads walk miles and miles during the day and night, hoping to sell something.
Like big chiv, I wonder what time of the day this happened because we have never had one of these lads stop and pull up a chair, they walk pass and momentarily pause to show you their tray of sun glasses or the pile of "copied" cd's/dvd's that they're clutching.
We had a meal in "fish alley" and they were walking through every 5 mins, but some didn't even pause to show us anything"¦.the only time I've known them pull up a chair, is if you show any interest and are taking your time to sift through their piles of cd's/dvd's.
Normally, either a shake of the head, a hand movement or a saying a straight "no" and they move on, so I'm wondering if it's because it was a group of all males and these lads thought they might have a good chance of a sale.? Just a thought.?

In La Carihuela, these lads lay their goods during the evening on a cloth on the promenade as you walk towards Benalmadena Puerto, and they really are no trouble or cause any problems, they do not want any confrontation, but it shouldn't be assumed that they are all illegal immigrants"¦..the hair braiders sit on the little promenade wall.

But getting back to Fuengirola"¦.
In all the years I've been visiting the place, I've seen one woman robbed because she stupidly walked around with one of these back-pack type handbags on her back, I didn't think we had eyes at the back of our heads yet, :roll: and a shady looking single male who stopped us and asked if we spoke Spanish, but he asked in English and immediately that rang alarm bells, so I gestured a :shrug and carried on walking.
I've never seen or been offered drugs, I'm no good for hair braiders because my hair is about 2 inches long and I'm in bed before the ladies of the night sell their wares.

IMO: People forget that Fuengirola is first and foremost a large Spanish working town, the fact that it is situated by the sea, gave the opportunity to make it into a tourist spot.

All towns have crime, I don't care where in the world they are, they will all have some type of criminal fraternity and it gets blown out of proportion at times.
Nobody wants to be a victim of crime, but if you take into consideration the size of the town, the number of residents and the amount of tourists who are there at any given time of the year, and who enter/leave the town without anything happening to them, and the number of reported crimes"¦.you can then put it into perspective.
That's not much use if you do become a victim of crime, but people leave their brains at home, throw all sensibility out of the window and forget that this is Europe 2008....some unfortunately only have themselves to blame for making themselves a sitting target....the Spain/Europe of 10 years ago is well and truly gone and the sooner people realise that, the better.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Good post Sanji, echoes my sentiment.
Well, I can only endorse Sanjiiiiiiiiii`s post , it mirrors our experience of Fuengirola. I would point out that the law now states that any bar or restaurant that allows the looky-looky lads in is liable to a 2000 euro fine but I have never heard of it being enforced. A bigger nuisance is the crowd of Irish bums that sit on the steps next to the London pub.
so glad you all posted these comments in response to the original posters post. as I say we've never been to fuengirola before, but we have been to loads of other resorts around europe and we have laughed off the scratch card touts, hair braiders, looky looky men and indeed drug dealers !!!!
so, we are going next wednesday with a wide open mind and a mission to enjoy ourselves immensley !!!!!!!!
cheers, will let you know how we get on,
juby
Juby
Have a nice holiday, just be sensible, think about what you're doing before you do it, don't put yourself in a situation that makes you a sitting target and be wary of everybody of whatever colour, sex or nationality.

It's a shame that we have to say these things, but that's the way it is throughout Europe or indeed the world, today.
If you listened to every tale of sorrow, then you wouldn't go away, but at the same time you should never dismiss the warnings that people try to pass on.
IMO: Fuengirola isn't paradise city,it would be foolish to suggest it is, but at the same time it isn't a den of thieves, vagabonds, drug dealers, prostitutes or serial killers either.

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Thanks sanji, I know what you mean, we always go to any resort with an open mind and are sensible in our actions and do our research about places as we have our 7 yr old to think of, and fuengirola will be perfect for us for our summer holiday !

just counting the days now, had a dificult few weeks just lately, so it can't come sooner for us !!
cheers,
juby
Here Here....fuengirola and spain beats the rip off britain.....
Thanks for all your replies.

In answer to some of your questions:

The Looky men were mithering us with their raybans and handbags day and night.

The dealers weren't very discreet when trying to push their gear onto us day and night.

The 'lady's' weren't to be seen during the daytime, however we were approached at will upon leaving the hotel when we headed out at night about 8pm whilst still daylight.

We were in Benalmadena during the afternoon, sat on the sea front promenade just to the Fuengirola side of the marina, and police patrols were frequent and you didn't get the same hassle.

The muggings I guess could have happened in any quiet street in any built up area.

I have holiday'd on most of the spanish costas, balearics and canary islands, and have not witnessed what I have discussed to this extent.

I'd like to point out I don't have any hidden agenda here, the point I am trying to make is that the majority of what I pointed out is occuring in a very central part of the tourist area, and it would be very easy for the police stop if they wanted to, which begs the question with their very minimal presence, do they?

I wasn't making a sweeping generalisation about Fuengirola, I said what I saw it and apologise for any offence caused.
You didn't cause offence, Tim. It's what you experienced. I just can't understand it, and keep thinking you were in another resort to me.
I felt a lot safer there than I do in Leeds City Centre at night.
Hi has anyone seen an trouble while holidaying in fuengirola over the last few weeks just read reviews from last summer08 we are a couple going to yaramar end of august.09. :yikes :thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.