Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Gambia
7 Posts
We have booked our first holiday to Gambia, and will be going at the beginning of December. Found this about the weather

http://www.gambia.co.uk/Docs/Gambia-Holidays/Reasons-To-Visit-The-Gambia/Weather.aspx

We received information from the Travel Agent that states some injections are recommended - Tetanus, Typhoid, Polio, Hep A, Meningitis, Yellow Fever and Diphtheria. As well as Malaria tablets.

Most of them we have already had because we went to India last year. They were free but I'm sure you have to pay for of the others. x
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2008-07-26 11:12:01
    To remove copyright material and replace with link
Hello

I havent had any vaccinaions since i was at school... How much do the jabs cost? I hear Yellow Fever is £60....

We dont want to spend hundreds each on jabs.. We'd look to go eleswhere, maybe the canary islands ifso.
you wont need yellow fever in the gambia unless you are going into other countries from there or in land and camping
I paid £50 each for our Yellow Fever jabs. It protects for 10 years. I don't think it's too high a price to take a risk for, same applies to Malaria tablets.
You can save the £150 extra it will add to a 2 week holiday for 2 people by going to Tenerife but you will probably spend more than that on the higher prices there.
Always consult your doctor for the most up to date advice on vaccinations and malaria tablets. Sounds boring I know, but if you don't bother and come down with a nasty disease then you will regret it. There have been quite a few posts of the Gambia Tourist Support website about this since we went in 2004. Most routine jabs should be free (Diptheria, Tetanus, Polio etc) at your own doctors, we have only ever paid for yellow fever which was about £50 each but it lasts for 10 yrs and we have been back to Africa since so we reckon we will get our moneys worth.
Dont forget the Malaria tablets, this is very imprtant in Gambia.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.