Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Gambia
6 Posts
Unfortunately, we havent any reviews since 2006 :yikes
If anyone has stayed HERE please add your review.

TIA
Kath x
We stayed next door to the Kombo Beach, at the Sunset Beach (highly recommended). The Kombo looked very nice.
It's perfectly safe to go out in the evenings but you will get hassled by "runners" for the various eating places. They get a small fee for each customer they deliver. If you happen to have chosen the place they represent just say yes and they will lead you there.
Getting hassled is something you have to get used to. Don't let them bother you or upset you. Every one wants to be your friend and offers you a hand of friendship. The request for money etc comes after a few minutes conversation. Just say No and they will go away.The less confident you appear the more they will hang around. Those that give in encourage the practice to continue. In the long run it's harmful to the Gambian economy which needs tourists to return.

It's worth taking a torch for walking out at night as some places are pretty poorly lit.
Eating and drinking can be very expensive in some places but it is also possible to get a meal for two with a couple of drinks for about £15. We tried quite a few of the 6 or 7 places in Kotu and we were happy with them all. If you walk out of the Kombo, turn left and in a few yards, go past the money exchange and turn left into a little square. The restaurant tucked in the near left corner is brilliant. Try the grilled prawns on a skewer..... you'll go back for more !
We didn't bother going to Kololi in the evenings but taxis are plentiful if not particularly cheap.You can walk there along the beach too, very pleasant , takes about an hour.
Hello ,Icannot comment on the hotel, but it is better to be safe than sorryunless you are in a busy area,well lit do not go wandering yourself ,look the areas over during the day, Sennigambia area is safe enough, On the other hand KOTU highway I would not recommend you walk alone along,
Ther is a local lad next to mikal camaras bar/shop/bristol restaurant(Now run by his brother Idris) all (old wood built) ask there in the daytime for (FODDIE) he stays in the family compound behind the shop, He will be happy to show you the area, take you at night safely to where you can go .I never recommend bumsters but over the years he is more of a friend( he is a good lad for buying the things you need at a lot less than any tourist (TOOBAB) will ever pay,most important he wont fleece you for his help , go and enjoy and haggle your taxi fares they will rip you off at the first chance
cheers maxie, pm me for info if you wish
Foddie is a good bloke and is sending his kids to school so needs all the work he can. Alex who is usually at the Senegambia is excellent also. Dont be afraid to jump in a local taxi or tanka tanka though. Just ask yourself what the trip is worth to you and how much it would cost if Thompson were organising it> Dont always feel that you are being ripped off.

If you want to fish for the day (local fishing boat or fishing from the beach in the evening) ask for Omar and his son Osman at Bakau or Cape Point. You can see some footage on GamabiHoliday You tube.

This may all sound a bit hit and miss with just a name, but if you turn up at the fish market and are surrouned with offers of help, saying "no I am here to see Osman, Omar, Alex" will mean they set off to find them and you look like you know what you are after
HI Sorry cant agree with yout dont feel ripped off,I often buy basics knowing the price,if I am charged well over the odds I refuse to pay the amount asked or in some cases demanded, if I am charged a reasonable amount a genorous tip is always give by me, the apprentice on local taxi buses ( the old vans) is always give double fare (its pennies to me) but not to him, my reference to kotu highway should have read dont walk that highway alone at night cheers maxie :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.