Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
This might be of interest to some of you, a new series titled " Inside Gatwick " starts tomorrow Tuesday 30th at 9pm on Sky 1.
Thanks Andy - might watch that if there's nothing more interesting going on!
I shall be watching that, Flying out on Sunday will be good to see if we are going to walk into chaos or not :think
Is there anyway of viewing this if you don't have sky? like online or something?
Have a look here http://sky1.sky.com/inside-gatwick-trailer - it shows the trailer, but there is a sub section on the right that says watch Sky1 online.
I've seen some reasonable prices for the lounges at the North terminal. Having never been inside one before, what can we expect please? Are they adults only? Is there a decent meal or just nibbles, and is there a reasonable selection of/ limit on the number of drinks? In other words any information will be gratefully received. :tup
Hi Helen, I've looked on no1 lounge http://www.no1traveller.com and that lounge looks good, included in the entry fee is one dish from the hot bistro menu , they have different dishes throughout the day. Children are allowed but there are many areas to suit everyone. I've never stayed in a lounge at Gatwick (as we don't get them free)!! :( to be honest the wife doesn't really want to spend any more time there ! We will get to use the emirates lounge though in november which is highly rated.

Trod, hopefully there shouldn't be too much chaos when you go through on Sunday , we're flying out this Thursday from the north and there is still some building work to complete but it's mostly looking good , count yourself lucky you won't have to endure my mrs at security :D ;)
Thanks Andy - that looks ok, I'll have a think about that. My problem is that I like to have a good old nosey round the shops as well, so I'll have to weigh up whether we'll get any benefit from the actual amount of time we'd spend in there.
I know what you mean Helen.

My other half likes to spend as much time as possible in the lounge and I like to spend time looking at the shops. To do both we have to get to the airport early, check-in, go through security and have something to eat. We then spend time looking at several of the shops before going into the lounge. We find that we have approximately 2 hours in the lounge before we have to leave for the flight. One year when our flight was delayed we were allowed to stay in there for 4 hours which was really nice.
So you don't eat in the lounge Sydney? I would have thought you'd need to do that in order to get full value for your money. When we fly at Easter, we will be at the airport at approx 3.am for a 6am flight. As we fly with Easy jet, there won't be a meal, so we'll need a decent breakfast at the airport.
The last time we flew, the No 1 Lounge had only just opened and the reviews were not particularly good. That was then of course.

I don't think the No 1 lounge has a large selection on their menu.

We also prefer to serve ourselves.
Helen, the menu is here: http://www.no1traveller.com/gatwick-airport-lounges-north.htm

We have used both No 1 lounges at Gatwick (North & South) and the North one is a little larger, with a nice view of the plane stands. There is a "cinema" and small games area separate from the seating area. The bacon rolls are nice, as are the eggs benedict, with plenty of cereals & pastries, tea, coffee, etc. Personally, I think the North lounge is nicer, with the service being marginally better in the South one, but that may have been due to the time of day (North -morning, South-afternoon) We prefer to use No 1 lounges rather than the cheaper Servisair, or whatever, as the food selection is better.
hi Doonhammer - I'd actually looked at that before, but although there is a section entitled "seasonal menu" - it doesn't say any more, only that there is a selection of hot & cold lite bites.
If you click on the in-page menu link you get the menu - under breakfast it says this:-

Breakfast is available from 4am - 11am.
Buffet comprising fruit salad, yoghurt, cereals, fresh juices and a selection of pastries.
Your choice of one of the following:
"¢Eggs Benedict
"¢Eggs Florentine
"¢Warm bacon roll
"¢Warm vegetarian omelette roll
thanks for that Doonhammer - I tried clicking a bit of everywhere, but couldn't find it :tup
Hi Andy,
Thanks for info, I watched the programme last night and it does appear that most of the work has been done, I'm not a great flyer and need stability and familiarity (thats why we always fly with the same people, so I know what to expect)at the airport, we normally visit the airport a couple of weeks before we fly but have not been able to this time. I'm sure it will be fine ;) (hopefully :-? )
I know this is a silly question but can one of you tell me what is a 'single use runway'? I have seen the ads. for a programe on Gatwick Airport and the voice over says it has the longest single use runway! Do they fold it up and throw it away after using it? :rofl Somebody please put me out of 'Sir's' misery!! Thanks.
Hi, I can only assume it means one runway used for both landing and departing.. :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.