Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I think what I heard it described as was a 'single runway' airport, which I took to mean that it only has one runway but with an airport handling as many flights as gatwick, surely that can't be correct? :que

suprisingly, it is true, Gatwick operates on one in and one out on the same runway, but it's not strictly true that it only has one runway, it has a northern runway which can be used in emergency or if the main runway is undergoing maintenance, but they can't be used at the same time because they are too near to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Gatwick_Airport
Well I'd never have thought that! You live and learn.
The north "runway" can only be used in good visibility and severely restricts take off performance. There is no instrument landing system on that runway.
The things you can learn on here! Had visions of the runway being used once and then disposed of! :rofl Anyway - thanks to everyone at least I can sleep nights now that I know. :cheers
prawn - I was just going to say that this is going to cause me sleepless nights - visions of loads of planes wanting to land and only one runway - and we're flying from there at Easter :duh
Helen you'll be fine as long as they haven't rolled it up for the night! :rofl
It'll have to be a glass of wine and shut my eyes - can't believe there's only one runway - I've always imagined it to be a huge airport! There's obviously more inside the terminal than out :rofl
Thinking about it logically you only need the runway your plane is on! Just as long as no-one else is using it at the same time!! :rofl Think I am glad I am flying from Manchester. :cheers
High tech security suite opens at Gatwick

Gatwick airport expects passengers to be processed in under five minutes after the opening of its new £45 million security area in the south terminal.

The 19 new security lanes will allow almost 5,000 people per hour to pass straight through to the departure lounge.

The lanes include two just for families with young children and passengers with reduced mobility, and two for passengers travelling first class or business class.

Passengers travelling through the new security area will be able to swipe their boarding card or Smartphone displaying their boarding card at security access gates.

Colour-coded lanes will have screens displaying the actual queue time, enabling passengers to choose the lane they want to use and instructions on what they can take through will be on large screens in five languages.

With permission from Travelmole
Isn't this old news? I went through this new area with the family back in July on route to Orlando.
In that case, perhaps today's media coverage just relates to an 'official' opening.

David :wave
Is there no high tech security in north terminal then?
Hi looking at airport hotels think I have got a good price for a family room at the Hilton £123 anyone stayed recently is it any good
Anyone used the Lingfield Lounge at Gatwick South Terminal?

Travelling with my 5 yr old son & Ps3's for 3 hours sounds alot better than 3 hrs in the departure lounge trying not to lose him.

Any comments would be appreciated
Fritz, I haven't used the Lingfield lounge, but I have used the No.1 Lounge, and would recommend it.
Hi all,

I am flying out of gatwick on 12th June to Cancun with Virgin. I am flyingto Gatwick the night before and will be in Gatwick at around 7pm. Is there much to do around the airport during the night? also can you get through to the departure lounge to stay there. We were for using the twilight checkin and then heading through security, or is there more to do before going through.

I dont think there is much point of getting a hotel to only get a few hours sleep.

any advice on whats open or if the whole place shuts down is appreciated.

thanks
Allymc316
Hi Allymc, security will not allow you through to the departure lounge on the 11th if your flight goes out on the 12th , I assume you are flying around 6am ish ?? The dep lounge is cleared when the last flight of the day goes out and opens up around 3am . There is very little landslide , you can get an evening meal when you arrive at wether spoons, giraffe restaurants and there is a costa coffee and a M&S mini store , you can find an area to crash out , but it's not ideal with a long flight the next day ! There is nothing really near the airport ( that you can walk to ) by coincidence I'm also flying out the south with easyjet to Tenerife early morning on the 12th , will arrive about 3am , I'll give you a wake up call and buy you a costa !!!!
I'd been going to suggest that you check out the Yotel in South Terminal because their original selling point was that you could book thmem for as little as 4 hrs which friends have done in the past for short or day time stays when making connecting flights but their website now seems to charge you a flat rate per night regardless of how long for. And for what you get their prices now seem really high at £62 for a standard cabin which has a bed only 100cms wide -describing as 'cosy for 1, snug for two' seems a bit of an understatement! If you want a double or a twin it would cost £84.50 which seems extortionate for what you actually get!

SM
Sorry if this has been asked before but this is the first time we will fly from Gatwick North Terminal
so we would appreciate any tips. (we have only used small local airports before)
We want parking for 2 weeks and to stay in a hotel on the night of our return only.
Hope you can help. Thanks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.