Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
There was a couple of discount vouchers for meals Vic - I just hope that one of them will be open at 4.30 in the morning :tup
Helen T,

Going by previous experience at Gatwick North Terminal, nothing was opened at that time of the morning apart from a bar!

Regards,
Pat
Hi Helen,

From what I recall, they sold the sandwiches, pastries etc ...... enough to fill a gap!

Regards,
Pat
Places to eat at north terminal after security are , Garfunkels , Cafe Rouge, Wetherspoons Red Lion all serve full breakfasts and hot meals , there is also Armadillo Cafe and grill , EAT , and En Toast that do lighter , on the go snacks , as well as the usual Cafe Nero and Costa coffee , they all open at 4am .

before security there Joes Kitchen which does food but doesn't open till 7am , but costa is open . As is M&S .
Thanks for that Andy - one of my vouchers is for 15% of at Garfunkels - so hopefully there won't be a queue at that time of the morning :tup
:D Only 3weeks to go till my holidays, I will be staying over night at the Hilton but I have heard that it is very expensive to eat in there resturants. Can anyone recommend anywhere to eat with children in tow . Cheers
Hi vicjayhay, There are 3 restaurants in the south terminal before security , they are Giraffe , Apostrophe and the Beehive which is a Wetherspoons , they are all listed as family friendly .
We have had meals in the beehive and giraffe , and they were both good , with the beehive you look through the menu and go to the bar to make and pay for your selections and they bring it to you , with giraffe they come to the table to take your order .
You can look at http://www.gatwickairport.com , then go to eating section and then view the restaurants they also have the menus on there as well .
The Hilton like most hotels is expensive for meals and drinks , after we have a meal in the terminal we sometimes go for a costa coffee they have one in the Hilton entrance but it seems to close up early !! Sometimes we go into M&S and get some drinks and snacks for the room .
Hope you have a good holiday , it's getting very busy now.
Thanks andy I heard that the beehive was shut, something to do with renovations. Not sure if that's true as that is sounding like the best place. Getting excited now
vicjayhay wrote:
Thanks andy I heard that the beehive was shut, something to do with renovations. Not sure if that's true as that is sounding like the best place. Getting excited now

Not too sure about that it only opened in March ! When we were over the south in January it was being finished off but had menus up and we thought we would try it in march when we staying overnight at the Hilton and off to Egypt , we thought it was really good , reasonably priced food , good choice and friendly service , I would go there again ahead of giraffe , We really liked frankie and bennys but that is airside now .
Have you got breakfast included in your Hilton stay ? Or is your flight really early.
We fly at 8 am so it will probably be Frankie and Bennies for breakfast, boys choice as they get to do a bit of plane spotting whilst they eat :rofl .

Thanks again for all your help, what did you think of the Hilton recent reviews havent been great. though as long as it is clean im not to fussed. it's only for one night.
Hi,

My 18 year old son and his girlfriend (who works for the Hilton) are staying at the Hilton Gatwick prior to their flight to Cancun in October. Would be interested to hear from anybody who stayed there recently.

Regards,
Pat
To be honest I haven't read any recent reviews. I pretty much know now what it's going to be like ! It is clean but does look worn out in places , I suppose it's runs on nearly full capacity most of the time so updating is difficult , I find it comfortable and convenient and that does what I need .
Breakfast in F&Bs sounds nice though ;) And 8 am is not too bad for a flight time , at least you feel awake by then !

If the beehive is shut ( can't see that happening with it now being summer season and Olympics ) then there is the Globe which is a Wetherspoons which is landslide at the north terminal , have a ride on the toy town train to get there .
Have a good holiday :sun2
PAT, as she works for them and probably get discount? Or might get a free upgrade , then the executive rooms are a bit nicer as they are built in the new block , you also get access to the exec. Lounge with free drinks and nibbles , so they should look at them , the only problem is that it feels like a long walk to get to the new wing , we got free upgrade to these rooms last time we stayed as I've got Hilton gold status and the rooms are a bit better and the bathrooms are more modern with a good walk in shower.
Hi andy66,

Many thanks for your reply .... apppreciated.

Have just had a look at the Hilton reviews ....hmmmm!!

Yes, she does get quite a heafy discount and as long as the room is clean, I'm sure they will be happy. Will mention the new wing to her. Although they are flying out from the North Terminal, won't make much difference to them.

Regards,
Pat
No problem if flying from the North just get on the transit , from the Hilton to checkin area at north is less than 10 mins , I ll have to look at the reviews !!! I would be lying if I said it was great and 5 star , but it's a bit worn and I'd say 3 to 3and a half star , the one thing it has is convenience , I also think that because it's Hilton then expectations are very high ( and quite rightly) and its not as good as some Hilton city hotels I've stayed in around England .
DAK if the south terminal is within sensible walking distance from the Marriot, if so is it a safe walk?

Many thanks
gc
Hi g c
It's a bit of of a yes and no answer!! It is walk able and would take 10 to 12 mins , but if you are dragging a case along then it would be more difficult and tiring , I'm sure that that do a shuttle bus to the terminal entrance not too sure of cost , the Marriott website should have that info .
Do you actually know the entrance to the south terminal , and where the Marriott is?? It is just before the parking express car park and if you cross over the road there and it is safe , then head over towards the Hilton hotel ( very easy to see) and go in their entrance and across reception you enter the link to the south terminal , which is better and safer than walking up the road the other way round .
We have walked from the premier inn at the north to the terminal , but there is a back route that some staff take ( when the weather is nice) as one of their car parks is next t the premier inn , but we had done DBCI as we were flying Thomson and only had hand luggage to carry .
If you only have hand luggage and it's dry weather then yes you could walk it but if you have cases and the weather is the usual typical British stuff then perhaps the shuttle bus is best.
Thanks Andy,

Looks like the shuttle will be the best option.
Many thanks
gc
hi g c , no problem , I saw in a review that the shuttle bus costs £3 each way , not too bad if you have a heavy case ! , it's a pity you can't hang around the entrance of parking express and jump on their coach ! Hope you stay and holiday goes well :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.