Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hello

Are there any restaurants or pubs in the South terminal where you can sit and watch the planes take off and land please?

Many thanks
:sun2
You have got the whether spoons pub (you can see them coming into land) which is before you go through customs. Or their is Frankie and bennies (watch them take of and land) which my boys love whilst waiting to board the plan
Hi Sarahcolin,
Follow this link http://www.gatwickairport.com/Documents/Map/GatwickS_Dec_11%20V6.pdf It shows the maps of the south terminal If you look at the departure lounge upper level you will see cafe rouge , F&Bs and bridge bar have views of the airfield . After you have checked in you will present your boarding card to access the departure lounge , you will go through security checking , which is for persons and bags to be checked to comply with regulations , you are then in the departure lounge , this is not passport control or customs that is when you arrive at an airport , you will be departing . The lower level mainly consists of shops and the upper level has many restaurants and bars . You will not see the airfield before you enter the departure lounge but if you stand outside the terminal you will probably see planes fly overhead ;). Im not sure if the Beehive on page 3 has windows if it does they will offer views towards the satellite and north terminal so you will see planes from there , the last time I was in there I only made it as far as the bar in the middle :cheers

If the link doesn't work go to http://www.gatwickairport.com. Then click on airport maps which is near the top right hand corner in black and this gives you the option to download a PDF for either terminal.
Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate it :cheers
Can anyone recommend a reliable meet & greet service at Gatwick please?

Many thanks
:)
sarahcolin1998 wrote:

Many thanks

Just to update, I have now booked with Sure Parking (meet & greet), they seem to have excellent reviews on Trust Pilot :cheers
Hello

I'm travelling from South Terminal, does anyone know whether you can buy Converse trainers from this terminal please?

Many thanks
Hi Sarahcolin, After security in the dept. lounge there is Jd sports and Kurt Geiger who are listed as selling converse products, might be best as visiting their websites to see exactly what they sell at the gatwick shops as the gatwick airport site just lists the shops and not their product ranges.
Yes they had a good selection of converse in jd back In July, though I found they were much cheaper on the high street
Thank you Andy, much appreciated.

Also thank you Vicjayhay, shall keep that in mind when shopping :cheers
Hi folks,
We are travelling to Cancun with Thomson in January and are planning on using the day before check-in facility. We have used this before, but only for short haul flights and have been issued with our boarding cards at the same time. I understand that boarding cards for flights to Mexico, USA etc are not issued the day before, but only on the day of travel. Do we have to return to the normal check-in desks the next day to get them issued or would there be another desk we could go to.
Thanks
sarahcolin1998 wrote:
sarahcolin1998 wrote:

Many thanks

Just to update, I have now booked with Sure Parking (meet & greet), they seem to have excellent reviews on Trust Pilot :cheers

We have now returned from our holidays and I can highly recommend Sure Parking for meet & greet, £67 for two weeks and they provided an excellent service.
Glad the meet and greet worked out well for you Sarah , the price certainly looks very good and must be around the same or even less than the on site long term parking . We have just come back from holiday and parked in the long term north car park , I hate having to drag the cases on and get squashed in the roller coaster ride back , and your car is always at the last bus stop point !!!! But we get it free so I shouldn't really moan . On our way out I got the missus to do a drop off with me and the cases and she went off to park the car and just catch the bus back so to save having to lump the cases around , but the buses were all full and it took over 30 mins for her to get back ! I was wondering if she'd gone back home or shopping in Croydon !

Degsy I don't know the specific answer to your question , but you are right that the boarding cards will be issued on the day of travel , I'm sure you won't have to queue up ages to have them issued and they do have a lot of desks , I'm sure they will advise you exactly where to go on the day to pick up your cards.
We will be travelling to Gatwick North terminal about 11.30pm next Friday as we dont want to leave around 2.30am for our 3.30am check in.
We are not familiar with the North terminal and wonder if there are any nice seating areas we can use prior to check in?
Unless there are really pressing reasons for not leaving it later then I would suggest that you don't plan on spending 4 hrs overnight at North Terminal. There are far fewer facilities than at South Terminal. I flew from there to Cuba last month with Thomson and used their night before check-in service and the place was deserted already by around 9pm. There was hardly any seating and none that I would want to sit around in for 4hrs. The only place that will be open to get refreshments will be Costa (everywhere else seems to be closed by10pm) and there's only so much coffee you can drink in order to get a comfier seat!

If you really need to arrive at that time I would suggest that it would be better to spend the time in South Terminal and then get the monorail over as your check-in opens.

SM
Thanks SMa,Will do that as we are familiar with the South Terminal having spent a night there when the airport was closed due to snow in December 2010!
I hate these early morning flights as you arrive at you destination shattered, :(
Does the monorail leave at frequent intervals during the night?
Jay trip, the monorail does run through the night , the most you will wait is a few minutes as only 1 will be operating ( 2 operate at peak times ).
Have a look on http://www.gatwickairport.com to find information on shops , bars , restaurants opening and closing times , you can select each terminal and before and after security .
Look on the bright side there are worse airports you could be stuck at for 4 hours. ;)
Thanks Andy,We have used the North terminal before but it was about 12 years ago.
When we were stuck at the South Terminal 2 years ago when the airport was closed due to snow the staff were great .They fed and watered all of us and gave us blankets. :rofl
We decided to arrive at around 11.30pm - midnight to save our daughter taking us in the middle of the night.
We will just stay in the South Terminal until our check in opens. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.