Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I've read that the no1 lounge does have views of the runway , I've seen nothing that suggests the aspire lounge has runway views
Link below might help
http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/Airport-lounges/
andy66 wrote:
I've read that the no1 lounge does have views of the runway , I've seen nothing that suggests the aspire lounge has runway views
Link below might help
http://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-out/Airport-lounges/

Thanks! Found a very informative review here

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/06/06/no-1-traveller-lounge-at-gatwick-north/

Sounds as though it'll do the job :)
Hi Pippy,

Hubby and I used the No1 Lounge North Terminal last year, and if was definitely head/shoulders above the Virgin Lounge which we used the year previous, and would have no hesitation in booking it again.

Yes, there are views of the runaway. There is also a small cinema with comfy seating, and I also recall there being a further 2 quiet rooms with floor/ceiling windows with comfy sofas and chairs, although never checked out the view from these rooms, although would imagine they would also have views of the runway.

Having used the Virgin Lounge the previous year, the No1 Lounge IMO is head/shoulders above the Virgin one and would certainly booked it again.

Pat
pat wrote:
Hi Pippy,

Hubby and I used the No1 Lounge North Terminal last year, and if was definitely head/shoulders above the Virgin Lounge which we used the year previous, and would have no hesitation in booking it again.

Yes, there are views of the runaway. There is also a small cinema with comfy seating, and I also recall there being a further 2 quiet rooms with floor/ceiling windows with comfy sofas and chairs, although never checked out the view from these rooms, although would imagine they would also have views of the runway.

Having used the Virgin Lounge the previous year, the No1 Lounge IMO is head/shoulders above the Virgin one and would certainly booked it again.

Pat

Sounds perfect, thank you!

Booked :tup
Just remembering I booked the no1 traveler lounge through holidayextras for a couple of colleagues at work , ( they've repaid in duty free) ;) sshhh wink wink :D and they loved the lounge and thought it fantastic , I think I had a 10% off email from H/Ex and it costing e 22.50 each
I think the BA lounge is ok , not great like the lounges at Heathrow , it's always been clean and the staff friendly and efficient , and the food perfectly decent ,
Hi Andy,

Last year we only paid £19.50 for the No1 Lounge due to somebody who kindly posted a link on TA offering discounts:-) Won't be booking it for our June trip as our flight departs at 10.30 but may be for our Sept trip as flight doesn't depart until about 12.10 I think?

Yes, I agree, the lounge was fab ... very clean and not loud and noisy unlike Virgin Lounge when we visited! There were groups of young lads flying out to Vegas and they were knocking back the champagne and spraying it over their seats like there was no tomorrow .... made for an uncomfortable experience and staff didn't even batter an eyelid!!

Pat
Hi Pat , that's a really good price , I think at that price it's a no brainer , for a couple of hours of comfort , drinks and snacks you could nearly spend that much in the det lounge passing time away , over the years I've spent enough time walking around the main det lounge and wife works there too so we would always want a lounge to chill relax and be a bit quieter .
Perhaps the guys in the V CH were taking the " rockstar service" a bit too far ;) I'm surprised the staff were not joining in , after watching an insight into Necker Island ( BBC2 ) last week, Richard likes his staff to join in with the guests :)
Hi Andy,

Just remembered it was a link that Martin Lewis put up on his website last year with the lounge offer.

I loathe walking around the airport, unlike my husband who would be in/out of every shop ... especially ones that sell sunglasses and could never find a pair that he liked!! Thankfully I managed to buy him a pair from the Sun Glass Hut in Lakeside last year, so now he hasn't got any excuse to drag me around the shops at the airport lol!!

I'm just glad we weren't on that flight to Vegas as the lads were definitely worse for the wear by the time they left the Virgin Lounge!

Pat

ps Re: BA PE Seats ... only 3 Rows (12,13 and 14) Booked 14A/B both ways, but ideally would love to book 12 A/B or 12G/H, but realise higher status and families with young babies get priority. Any idea when these seats open to 'Joe Public' :-)
Hi Pat , re your booked seats , obviously you have 14 a/b blocked for you whatever was row 12 blocked as they are for status holders etc , but if you check back in 72 hours before departure to view seats they should then be released if not already booked by status holders , you would then be able to change your booked seats , hopefully one of the pairs you want will be free , just don't leave it til the normal checkin time of -24 hours .
I have managed to bag row 1 seats like this on flights as they are reserved for golds only , I was in first and had row 2 a/k and got 1 a/k on a 747 and the rest of the cabin ( 14 seats) was full , so no golds I assume , so it goes to show its possible to snatch seats you want even if you're not " entitled " to them at time of booking ;)
Hi Andy,

Many thanks again ... appreciated:-)

Would that be 72hrs before the departure flight time? Also, if we would be lucky enough to nab seats in row 1, if somebody came forward with higher status afterwards would we run a chance of losing these seats or would they be secure?

Kind regards,
Pat
Yes , it's 72 hours before departure not 72 hours before on line check in opens , this info is around on other forms but not that commonly known , and I think on a leisure route flight , if you get in quick you stand a good chance , perhaps many of the other passengers might not have paid to select a seat , so you're ahead of them as they can only choose from 24 hours out . If you have bronze status you can book 7 days before dept.
If you are successful in bagging your preferred seat you can't be " trumped " by a status holder as they have had their chance ahead of you , even if one booked last minute they can't push you out
Just keep your nerve and get on MMB at -72 :tup
All the seats in the WTP cabin seem equally rated , but the 1st row does give a bit more legroom
Good luck !!

Edit info on other FORUMS not forms !!
And you will have to do MMB -72 for your return flights too can't do both a same time .
Awe bless you Andy ... will be waiting to press the button at 72hr before departure time, and keeping my finger crossed lol!

Another question for you ... given that this is our first flight with BA PE, do I assume that we don't hold any status. or are we classed as 'Bronze'?

Kind regards,
Pat
If you've just joined the EC I'm afraid you're just a Blue :cry You need 300 tier points in your year to gain bronze I think your flights will gain you 90 points each way so you would be on 180', ( I think )

( sorry this is on Gatwick forum but BA do fly from there ;) sorry :offtop )
Anyone tried the Bloc hotel at the south terminal at Gatwick. I have been looking for a sleep,park, fly deal and this hotel came up. Location looks good anyone tried it?.
I haven't used the bloc hotel at the south , but seems to have favourable reports
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/hotels/bloc-gatwick-flatpack-hotel-is-cleared-for-take-off-9236720.html

The location is very good , it's next to the central search area and used to be the old offices and training rooms , I've only used the hilton in the south and sofitel in the north to stay , also had a look in the Hampton at the north and that is very well located and looks great .
If your airline does day before bag drop or check in and have an early flight the location of these hotels is great as near to security check , so you save time on the flight day , there are a few options to get something to eat and drink in the terminal if needed .
Thanks Andy I'm undecided between the Bloc or the Premier Inn at the north terminal. My flight is at 5:30 in the morning so I won't somewhere with easy access to the airport.
Hi Sunshinehereicome,

Hubby and I have stayed at the Premier Inn North Terminal twice and have our 3rd and 4th stay already booked with them. Although they use the car park directly opposite the hotel, hubby won't have anybody driving our car, so we always use Long Stay North to park the car, and it's only 5mins from the terminal ... so no hardship and we know our car will be safe and won't be moved.

Regards,
Pat
Premier inn at the north is also well located for a quick getaway !! Right next to the sofitel , but you have to cross over the road to get into the terminal ( very easy ) !! And undercover . The sofitel is " connected "
The most important thing I imagine is convenience and comfort , and with both being very close and having reputations of comfortable beds / linen the only factor to consider is cost
The Bloc is £20 mor expensive, but included in the price is speedy security passes for getting through passport checks. That said I don't think it will be busy at 4am in the morning. I'm leaning towards the premier in. Though as I'm slightly put off by the smaller rooms and bathroom set up in the Bloc.

My only worry with the premier inn at the north terminal is getting over to the south using the monorail . Is this easily done. It's probably 12 plus years since I last had to use it.

Last question both packages include Gatwick offical airport meet and greet service. Has anyone used this before any good. Or steer clear. We normally park up ourselves and take our keys with us so I'm a bit dubious about this also .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.