Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Cigarettes are 4 euros for the premium brands i.e. Bensons, Silk Cut etc. There are many cheaper brands such as L&Ms, 24 for 3euros40c.A pint of lager is around 4euros----wish I could find a euro sign on my computer!!There is a taverna in Ialyssos called Filerimos which I always enjoy and te choice in the town is immense. Have a gret time.
Call it 1/2 a litre if it makes you feel better Trevor. We all know it's not exactly a pint but many Brits still refer to a beer as a pint and every decent barman I know understands that.

Vrachos restaurant is one of my favourite restaurants in that area. Right by the beach in between Ixia and Trianda, you can hear the waves crashing as you dine!
hi...I thought a ltr was 2.2 pints...so half a ltre would be 1.1 pints...or have I got it wrong...going to google it now...tweetie

result = 0.57ltr =1 pint
I love Vrachos as well Marcus, forgot about that one.There are so many good places on the island.
AnneJ60b
I didnt express myself very well. Most Greek barmen dont know drinks measures
They just fill the glass
I keep to half litres as well. Usually pay around €3.20, depending on the bar. ( try ctrl-alt-4 €)
On one trip to Y Pylli ( The Gate) bar in Rhodes Town, I did ask for a large Mythos and was presented with a 2 litre glass. I thought one beer was enough as I had to catch the ferry across to Symi.
IME if you ask for a beer in Greece the waiter normally says " bottled or draught/keg/tap ,large or small?" Can't ever remember them quoting the actual volume :think
hi everyone

thanks for all your replies, really helpful.

Will keep those bars etc in mind when we out and about :cheers
jessie135
€ (<Alt GR> and the number 4 key on a UK standard keyboard. <Alt GR> is the key to the immediate right of the space bar)

Agree with tpebop - I have only ever been asked large or small and in most cases it is a chilled bottle served in a chilled glass.

In answer to the initial question - I'm quite sure there are some dubious eating and drinking places as there are just about anywhere, but I've never managed to find one yet!!!

One of the most memorable meals I had was in a place that looked like a closed down shop with a few tables outside and plastic covers. Most of the tables were taken up by locals either playing backgammon or playing(?? I can't remember the proper word) with their rosary beads. This was in the back streets of Archangelos, and I was taken there by a friend who lived in Stegna at the time. They had a very basic menu (effectively roast chicken, chips and Greek salad) and spoke very little english but I have never tasted chips like them, before or since. Absolutely superb!!! And cheap!!

Dave
€ - well I never knew that ! :rofl
I always ask for bottles as they are usually the same price as draft but you only get about 450ml on draft where as a bottle is 0.5ltr
What a can of worms I opened! Think I'll stick to gin and tonic................no problems with that!
in that case i will stick to Metaxa
What about Souma and Ouzo? Mind you the souma has to go in one gulp have tried all different mixers but nothing that goes with it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.