Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Quite incredibly, the Glasgow Airport Rail Link has been axed by the Scottish Government. The plan which was to have a direct link to the city for the Commonwealth Games in 2014 is yet another nail in the coffin for this somewhat struggling airport.

Looks like the journey down the M8 will continue for all you Glasgow users -lets just hope the journey does not mean even a further journey down the M8 - to Edinburgh Airport to catch your flight.... :think

Nivsy
Glasgow Airport to confirm new capacity

A £25 million upgrade to Glasgow Airport is planned over the next two years.

The BAA-owned airport will invest £12 million in 2010, followed by a further £13 million in 2011.

Improvements to the airport road system, a terminal pier upgrade, a new food court, a new runway lighting system and upgrades to the airfield taxiway system are among the developments planned.

The main passenger lounge will also be refurbished along with improvements to the internal layouts of the main terminal building.

Managing director Amanda McMillan confirmed that the airport is in discussion with new and existing airlines in a bid to secure several new routes for 2010, and is working to fill the capacity lost by the failure of Globespan.

More than a third of the capacity has been replaced by existing carriers at Glasgow, including EasyJet, Thomas Cook, Thomson and Virgin Atlantic.

A major announcement on further additional capacity is expected in the next few days.

Earlier this month, operator Canadian Affair announced it was expanding its summer service from Glasgow to Toronto, with two extra flights a week. The improved schedule now offers seven flights a week to Canada's biggest city.

The airport also recently secured new flights to Barcelona, with Sunways Holidays, and Dalaman in Turkey, operated by Kiss Flights.

McMillan said: "There is no doubt that 2009 has been one of the most challenging years the UK aviation industry has ever faced.

"Glasgow Airport is not immune from these economic pressures and, like many other airports, we have felt the impact of the recession, with fewer passengers choosing to fly and a reluctance on the part of airlines to grow.

"The demise of flyglobespan is a further challenge. However, we have already backfilled a third of the capacity lost by flyglobespan and we are working to secure additional flights with other carriers.

"We are also working to deliver several new international services from Glasgow for 2010 and we remain confident of a return to growth in the latter part of next year as market conditions improve."

The airport is contributing £1 million towards the cost of the M74 motorway extension which it is hoped will reduce journey times to and from the airport.

Between now and 2014, when Glasgow hosts the Commonwealth Games, the airport expects to spend between £85 million and £100 million on new terminal and airfield facilities.

The airport opened the doors to a £31 million terminal extension last year - the biggest single investment for more than a decade.

McMillan said: "These improvements will deliver a better passenger experience, provide enhanced terminal facilities, and improve the efficiency of our taxiway and runway infrastructure, which are essential for the smooth operation of the airport.

"This is a significant investment in the future of Glasgow Airport, and underlines our commitment to grow the airport and deliver a better customer experience for our passengers."

The investment package reflects the growing confidence of airport bosses who expect to see a return to growth in the latter part of 2010.

With permission from Travelmole
Assuming some of the "improvements" must be for the low cost pier......please......

and lets just hope its not new shops!

Nivsy
Flybe is increasing flights between Birmingham and Glasgow as a rival withdraws services....click here for more details.

David :wave
Aer Lingus to start operations to Cork from Glasgow utilising equipment of Aer Aran (ATR's).

Nivsy
I was going to book my car parking for next Wed 19th with flyingScot, who I usually leave the car with and have done so for years. However I noticed a glasgow airport compare parking website today with complaints to state that this company did not refund people who had their flights cancelled with the volcano. I was going to book this week but I think I might just leave it until Monday 17th :think
Hi. Just wondering if anyone knows if Thomas Cook at Glasgow Airport still let you check in from 6am on the day of travel for any flight that day? We did this last year and it was great to offload the luggage immediately on arrival at the airport, rather than having to wait for the check in desk to open 3 hours before the flight. :think
Has anyone flown from Glasgow Airport recently? Do you know if the check in is open all day as it was last summer, so luggage can be checked in on arrival, or do the check in desks only open 3 hours before the flight? :wave:
Thomas cook do a open all day check in any flight desk in T2 but this was such a circus with over a 2 hr wait to get checked in and then seperate desks being set up for those with flights departing that morning and not those just dumping cases and off for a shop.
Has anyone booked a hotel/parking package via Holiday Extras recently? They have a "Secret Hotel" offer at a good price but I can't work out which hotel it is. They used to print a few details such as distance from the terminal but no longer do this.
Last time I looked it sounded like the Normandy. It used to be the Erskine Bridge which I believe has been refurbished since we stayed there.

luci :wave
Thanks Luci
you could be right. Was hoping it was the
holiday Inn but unlikely
cheers
I saw a Secret Hotel on another site which said no transfers were required so could be the Holiday Inn or the Express by HI. Can't remember which site it was, but it might have been FHR.

Hi Luci
had a look and I can't see any secret hotels on FHR. I'm going to keep looking as I'm encouraged that you've seen this somewhere. Any other suggestions welcome.
:)
Found it on FHR

http://www.fhr-net.co.uk/hotels/glasgow-airport/mystery-super-saver/

No idea how you book online as it doesn't come up when you enter the details so it may be worth a call to them. It does say that parking is not included if you need that.

Thanks for the link Luci. I can't get into the secret bit either but the site is offering the Holiday In plus parking for £66 so I think I'll go for that,
Thanks for the help
Bridd
Yet another blow for Glasgow. The two times a week flight from PIA to Lahore is axed.

I sense the international zone will have cobwebs............

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.