Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Fantastic news, David. Bring it on!!
The formal launch and press preview of the new seaplane service took place today. It was certainly a very interesting sight to watch the aircraft coming in to land on the Clyde next to the new BBC and STV studios, before taxi-ing to the purpose built jetty and terminal at the Glasgow Science Centre.

Take off was rather unusual, as that involved a long and slow taxi down the Clyde from the Science Centre to the shipyards at Govan, then gathering speed and taking off just before the Braehead Shopping Centre.

The flight to Oban takes just 22 minutes, compared to 3 hours by car, or 3 and a half hours by train.

More info on the service at http://www.lochlomondseaplanes.com

David :wave
I saw this on Reporting Scotland last night. It looks like a brilliant flight, with spectacular scenery en route.
New seaplane service touches down off Mull

A daily direct air link from Glasgow to Mull has taken off as a second destination for Loch Lomond Seaplanes.

The new summer service to Tobermory Bay reduces the travelling time to and from Glasgow to 35 minutes.

Travelling by road and ferry between can take five and a half hours or more.

The introduction of the flights using a nine-seat aircraft follows the company running a daily service between the River Clyde in Glasgow and Oban on the west coast of Scotland

More than 6,000 passengers have travelled or have booked on the seaplane service since the Oban service was started last August.

Loch Lomond Seaplanes, which has been running charter flights for four years, has been working closely with Tobermory Harbour Association to bring about the new air link to the mainland.

The company plans to expand services with a third aircraft later this year and have up to five seaplanes operating to destinations such as Portree, Bute, Arran in the near future.

Director and founder David West said: "The introduction of a Glasgow city centre -Tobermory seaplane service will greatly improve transport links between the Western Isles and the central belt.

"The service, using our nine seat Cessna 208, is modelled on our highly successful Oban route and will run through to November.

"I am certain the service will assist the community in many ways such as increasing the number of business trips to and from the island, aiding local people to more easily access mainland services and increasing the number of tourists visiting the area."

About 400,000 visitors a year travel to the island in search of wildlife and scenery.

"We are keen to improve transport links across the whole of the west of Scotland and the seaplane provides a sustainable alternative to roads and ferries," said West.

Glasgow City Marketing Bureau chief executive Scott Taylor said: "Since the launch of its Glasgow Terminal in 2007, Loch Lomond Seaplanes' first class operation on the River Clyde has proved itself to be a hugely popular - and viable - addition to the city's portfolio of riverside developments.

"This new service from Glasgow to Tobermory offers yet more choice to short break visitors to the city who want to combine the excitement of the city with a taste of Scotland's great outdoors."

With permission from Travelmole
Has anyone used this service? Anyone would like to share experiences?
I'd love to try it. I think the price is a bit high... What You think?
Michal
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.