Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
goa v thailand
33 Posts
Having been to both destinations this month I would go for Thailand any day. I have been to Goa several times over the last few years and i'm probably a little biased to Thailand as its still new and fresh to me. Thailand(Phuket) is cheaper than Goa, which has prgressively got more expensive over the years.

My first visit was 2006 to Goa where we hired a taxi for a day and covered quite some distance this cost us about £11 in 2009 the same taxi cost £28

I just hired a taxi from the airport in Phuket, to take us to Patong, South Phuket, Phuket town back to Patong and finally back to my hotel near the airport. All this cost £18 for the day.

Accommodation can be very cheap in Goa depending on your requirements, however our 5 star hotel(Indigo Pearl) cost £80per room per night in Thailand and considering travelodge/travel inn costs £45-60per room per night in the UK I definately found this great value.
Hello Jimbob - Thank you for that but what I'm looking for is the price of a beer, a packet of cigs, a meal for 2, and something similiar to a beach hut to stay in.
Any idea how much these things cost?
Hi Alfred60,

For drink and food prices, please have a look at http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=1415888#p1415888

Can't help on cigarettes as I don't smoke - however I do know that they are reasonably priced.

Thailand and Goa both have their advantages in their own funny ways - we love both!

Enjoy!

Peter
Having been to both places - I would go back to Goa anyday, I went to palolem beach in Goa and absolutely loved it, India in general is much cheaper for everything that Thailand.

I stayed in a beachhut for about £1 a night, food on at the beach bars was about 60p for a curry and 30p for nan bread.

I stayed in ko lanta thailand it was quite difficult to get too and more expensive than Goa.

I maybe bais toward India thought because it was the first time I went away traveling - but I India so much more 'amazing' than thailand.
rossfraser2020 said

I stayed in a beachhut for about £1 a night, food on at the beach bars was about 60p for a curry and 30p for nan bread.

When was this? I have been 9 times to Goa since 2005, the past 2 years for 6 weeks at a time in late February/March time. We are based in Colva and during this time we ride down to Palolem every Thursday till Sunday to stay and always stay in the beach huts. I have never found a beach hut where you can stay for a £1 a night in Palolem! Last March the best we could get was Rs700(at the time exchange rate was £1=Rs74)! I would loved to have got a curry and nan bread for under a £1 but, I find that hard to believe in Palolem where things are above average price ;)
It was a few years ago, and it was at the tail end of the holiday season they were going to take the huts down the next week and the beach was not too musy so we did get them for a good price, Just looking at my pics flickr.com/photos/peazyshop/sets/72157601738828694/ it was actually 4 years ago (ouch time flies) so your def right things would be more expensive now.

However over thailand and india I would def recommend india - i really did love the place.
That would explain why it was cheap then ;) Here's your link to your photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/peazyshop/sets/72157601738828694/
rossfraser2020 your photos are lovely been to Hampi myself its a great place ...colleen
I think food and drink in Goa is cheaper but then again there's a much higher chance of getting a dicky tummy in Goa than Thailand. I loved Goa, the people were great and everything was very cheap, however, realistically, it's years behind Thailand in tourism, which is why a lot of people may prefer Goa.
Personally I love Thailand much more than Goa, I think the food is much better (although still very cheap - a two course meal for two with a beer each can still be under £10), the people are lovely and the facilities available are much better. If you want to backpack, eat cheap food at the roadside, sleep in a hut with no aircon, Goa is your best bet. Thailand's resorts have moved up a notch from that (it's still possible to backpack in Thailand though, obviously).
That's all just my opinion :D

TC
yes irishcolleen hampi was outstanding I stayed there for a week, I really enjoyed the experience and the people were lovely. The bad news was I got malaria while I was there and was really ill for a few days, I ended up in hospital which was an experience in itself and then it was an overnight bus back to Mumbia. However in some ways it did add the over all experience and I would not hesitate to go back to India in a flash!
Just back from Thailand , Koh Samui. Used to go to Goa for last 7 years.

Thailand is light years ahead of Goa when it comes to tourism. Better accomodation; nice mattresses, just about all have aircon, good prices. Yes if you want to stay in a hot cheap beach hut then Goa is for you. Even expensive hotels in Goa are not up to the same standard. Roads are better and easier to drive (in KS anyway). You may have to do a bit of research to find somewhere less touristy but it's there. DON'T book a package do DIY. Oh... and the beaches are better and the sea a lot calmer.

Yes, Goa has a certain 'vibe' but too many negatives on Goa right now. Heres' the minuses....

Dirty
Aggressive Taxi drivers
Variable standards in accomodation
Pushy Beach sellers
Good chance of getting serious tummy bug (happened 3 times to me)
Having to listen to all the hard luck stories

Thailand is probably 20% more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I'm not saying don't go to Goa, try it once you moght get the bug.

I know people who have been to Thailand and then gone to Goa, they loved the vibe, but standards are not up to Thailand.

Personally I would like to explore more of Thailand or Cambodia. Goa is too small, you can explore it all in 3 weeks.

Don't let me influence you...try it!
hi,when you compare goa as being to small then you should be comparing it to the likes of koh samui or phangan not thailand.thailand is a vast country but then so is india.you definatly wouldn,t do either in 3wks. big niel you should give travelling around thailand a go,we have done it then visited goa last season for 3 wks,this season we,re travelling around india for 5 wks,as we found 3 wks in goa only to long,but then thats us.
Both are very different , hotel standards in Thailand are much better. I love both countries in different ways , both have a different culture , I prefer the beaches of Goa, the food of Thailand, the Hotels in Thailand, both have great markets, I would say Goa is a little cheaper for eating out and drinking.
We've gone Goa a couple of times and are also thinking of Thailand later this year. I am looking at flights on Airasia.com which fly to Bangkok via Kuala Lumpar from Stansted which is good for us.

We love Goa and the weather was superb. I am always weary of trying new places when I have found somewhere I like, but it has to be done! I said I wouldn't like Turkey but went back 3 times!!
A big advantage of going to Thailand is you don't require a visa if you are staying for under 30 days :tup
just returned from 5 wks in india/goa,much cheaper than thailand,but i,m afraid our next trip will be thailand,we like goa a lot but thailand keeps drawing us back.
I am very sceptical when you read that it is cheaper in India, last time we were there, we found that prices had increased from our previous visit. In fact I find Thailand to be cheaper...all depends where you eat, yes if you are going to eat Western food it is going to cost you more. Thai Green Chicken Curry with rice 50thb which is just over £1.

Taxi's from the Airport are metered so you know you are not going to get ripped off, in Goa it is a constant battle negotiating prices. Who needs it, you are on holiday. Approx cost from Bangkok airport to the Sukhumvit Road area is around 300 to 350THB. Chiang Mai Airport to Centre 150THB.

I also find that the Hotels are far better quality (and spotlessly clean) just booked President Palace Hotel, for March, direct with their website, Superior Club Room for 3020 THB included with this price from 11.30 to 17.00 drinks are free in the pool area including beer, cocktails and soft drinks, then the same in their Executive Lounge from 17.30 to 20.30 which also includes snacks. If you are a person who likes a bit of luxury and also likes to stay round the pool all day this is an excellent deal.

Although it is 3 years since I have visited Goa I have heard from colleagues who have been recently that it is getting worse with the rubbish, dog poo on the beaches and filth everywhere.

Hope I haven't started too much of a debate on here, this is just my own personal experience and opinion.
I had a holiday in Thailand in November, then a holiday to Goa in December, so both are very recent, for the first tiem ever I wrote a brief trip journal for each including meals out and prices ...... I realised that the prices in Thai Baht for a meal for 2 and in Goa for a meal for 2 were almost the same in most cases meaning the amount in local currancy was the same.....so at an average current rate of 44 baht to the £ and 69 rupees to the £ this does make Goa significantly cheaper for eating out.
Valleylady where in Thailand do you go to and why do you like it so much you want to keep going back ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.