Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
most important one.
Go with an open mind.
I have seen people in tears on arriving outside Dabolim, and seen the same person 24 hrs later who have fallen in love with the place.
Go with an open mind.

That's great advice Del :tup

I have seen so many disappointed people in countries because they didn't to any research before going on holiday, a simple bit of homework and then as you say going with an open mind can make such a big difference.

One of the people that has ever annoyed me the most was in Kenya, at our ( fabulous) hotel I was talking to a couple who were complaining that their entire holiday had been ruined by the poverty they had witnessed on route from Mombasa to the resort, they were giving the reps grief that Thomson should have warned them and they should never have been allowed to see that.

A bit of homework and that open mind you were talking about would have meant that they knew what the country would be like and they can then make an informed choice of whether to go or not, once there if they had an open mind they would have then seen beyond the poverty and had a great holiday.
Never tell anybody it's your first time.

Relax and enjoy. Don't be judgmental.
:D Yes Roma, always say you've been before!
Fiona wrote:
I have a friend who likes her luxuries but has enjoyed finding out about my Goa holidays. She really wants to go but I am not convinced it is for her. (Mind you I also enjoy 5 star hotels in the Far East so why do I love Goa so much?)
The one thing I have emphasised is not to expect luxury but expect to find you love your hotel and can't wait to return!
I think there may well be more newbies to Goa when we get visa on arrival. So what tips would you give them?

Morning Fiona i see your on and I've just joined so a quick hello from sunny scotland
del949 wrote:
most important one.
Go with an open mind.
I have seen people in tears on arriving outside Dabolim, and seen the same person 24 hrs later who have fallen in love with the place.

Del
That is my experience....not in tears with my wife but in the airport we did find ourselves with a bubble above our heads and in it the words "what have we done"

The bubble burst the next day and as you say loved it.
Might also be an idea to learn Russian for

EXCUSE ME !!
Sorry let- hadn't noticed your message. Welcome back:)
Fiona wrote:
Sorry let- hadn't noticed your message. Welcome back:)

As a new member Fiona, Lovecoachtravel's post hadn't been approved before you posted, that's why you missed it. :tup
Oh good . Wondered how I managed to miss him
Ladies- best to leave the high heels at home.
How could I have forgotten this- do not go AI! It is incredibly cheap to eat and drink out and food quality is high( in my opinion anyway)
Found an old thread which still has some good advice on it here
Instead of buying things early on in your holiday, its best to look around and ask prices, ask about everything and then just walk away, quite often the price gets lower as you walk away (if not in all places, at lest a few). Also food and drink have MRP on the labels (MAXIMUM RETAIL PRICE), don't pay over the odds (obviously if this in a restaurant they bump the prices up due to 'service'. There are still LOTS of cheap bars if you look around. Bubbles bar in Calangute which is near Why not tashi's is outstandingly cheap for drinks, Your drinks bill is likely to be at least half compared to other places!! There is also the Public bar in Calangute.

There is also lots of prices and info here

http://www.poipleshadow.com/Goa-Information

Hope it helps
There is also the Public bar in Calangute.

there is but I think I would prefer to pay a bit more! :D
Dont take anything white to wear. It will come back with a hint of red in it.
Use the public buses,great and cheap way to get around. Heading to Mapusa, Panjim, Margao for some shopping and these main stations will open up bus routes for the whole of Goa! :) Its cheap but can be a bit cramped at times.. but that's part of the fun.
Hi All

Met a couple at Mackies Market last November,2 seats going at their table,got chatting they had been in Goa about 3 days,I asked how they we're enjoying it? He was so enjoying it,but his wife wasn't(had bad tummy!)
I couldn't stop laughing when she said "my advice for anyone coming here for the first time NEVER TRUST A FART"
Turned out we we're sat next to them on the plane going home&she was planning her next trip :D
Manxcat,

Brilliant tale.

We loved meeting you again and it was so funny when we kept turning up at Glens when everyone thought we had gone home.

The flight did eventually leave though.

Turned out for us one of our best ever trips to Goa after saying we would not go back.

One of the best things about Goa is it can be so many different holidays to so many people.

So probably one of the best tips is what so many say. Go with an open mind and do not make up your mind based on the first 24 hours.

Hope to see you next year.

Papa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.