Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
absolutely fascinating Alan. Trying to visualise it all. mind you I have seen the beaches in October witout shacks and with fishing nets spread out and woman sorting the fish. so a glimpse of how it might have used to have been.Would love to see photos if anyone has.
Thanks Alan that was a great read very interesting, enjoy your next one in goa
Danny
I remember our first visit in '97, we stayed in a brand new hotel down what is now Holiday Street. There was very little else down the road & it was only tarmac for about 100 yards or so. There were hardly any bars/restaurants around, I recall going to Bob's Inn one night & us being the only people there. We were walking to Candolim one day when we saw a funeral procession approaching us with the holy man in front with some burning incense, the body was being carried by 4 men on a bamboo stretcher & was covered with a white cloth. As hot as it was I went cold as it passed us by.... Don't think they'd chance that now due to the traffic!!
A walk into Calangute was broken up by a stop in the 3 designer shops along the main road to cool off in the air con, Lacoste, Nike & Adidas if my memory is right. The main road down to the steps had a few makeshift bars along it, my wife enquired as to where the toilet was only to be pointed across the road to behind the temple!! Needless to say she didn't bother.
We had henna tattoos done at a stall near the steps & the young girl sent a boy of 5-6 across the road for a couple of beers which he came back with wrapped in brown paper bags. There were hardly any shacks along the beach but it was October, very early in the season. I recall on nearer the Calangute end which was a more permanent building.
We didn't return for about 9 years & couldn't believe the difference but have been back almost every year since 2009 at least once & still find new things to do/see
It's amazing how quickly a place can change isn't it? But at least you still like it :)
That sounds very much like our experience.

Great post thanks for sharing your memories.
If anyone has a way of sharing pre-digital photography photos, I think we would all like to see them?
Just spent an hour scanning in a few photos but the forum won't let me upload them as I've not made the required posts - sorry :-(
wishiwasingoa wrote:
Just spent an hour scanning in a few photos but the forum won't let me upload them as I've not made the required posts - sorry :-(

Here's a link to wishiwasingoa's album:-

http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/landylittlepurplelandrover/media/goa/18.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.