Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Its Tomb Raider of course. Did you get to see the stegosaurus carving om your last visit?
I didn't Sunbear. There was a section that was out of bounds though. Its an amazing place.
Its Tomb Raider of course

I was just going to say it looks like somewhere out an Indiana Jones movie, then I see it actually is :duh
Tomb Raider was Lara Croft not Indiana Jones Kiltman, though some of the IJ films may have been filmed in Siem Reap.

Did you take this picture Fiona? When I was there it was hard to get a good shot of anywhere without getting loads of Japanese tourists in the picture, all wanting to have individual pictures taken in front of the ruins.
Yes I did take the photo Judith. Have to say it was fairly quiet and so it made it feel even more mystical. We were there in July and so perhaps that is why it wasn't busy.
History of Siem Reap

A few years ago we last visited Siem Reap. I really wish that I had done some research before visiting Angkor.

On leaving, we were given a video CD, from the Tourist Authority, which I really wish we had seen before we visited (it is about 50 minutes).

Recently, we have thought of returning and I stumbled across the very film, split into 9 parts of a little over 5 minutes each.

Should anyone be interested, these can be found at http://www.youtube.com/user/sereyvath

The History may be found as the first series, posted by this user.

Hope that this is of interest

Peter
Thanks Peter.

Really interesting. I would love to revisit Siem Reap but I'm beginning to think my longhaul days are over. Though I'll never say never. It's 11years since I was in Cambodia, early days of mass tourism, I wonder how much the place has changed.

Judith
thanks Pete. I watched the first one and have bookmarked this thread so I can watch the rest at the weekend :tup Its great to watch and be reminded of what we saw on her first visit. When you are going round with your guide, all the info can be overwhelming and we were sweltering at the time. I have never drunk so much water in my life before!
Havent visited the Tonle Sap Lake and this is a possible for us this time
When we were going around the temples we were pestered by kids trying to sell us books , we bought one for a couple of dollars just to get rid of them turned out to be a best buy, a brilliant guide to the the many temples. So worth seeing what the lads have got.

We visited Tonle Sap, was not particularly impressed
I'm going to Siem Reap next February, just booked it! Any tips gratefully received :cheers What currency would I need?
US Dollars was the currency that everyone wanted when I was there but it was 11 years ago.

As for Tonle Sap, I think it depends on what time of year you are there I was there in October and the water levels were very high. The lake itself isn't really anything special apart from its huge size but what I found very interesting was the life on the lake, Children in small boats showing us the rats they had caught to eat, , babies being born and families living their whole lives on boats on the lake. I visited the floating school and was taken back with the fact that there was only one qualified schoolteacher for the whole junior school. In one classroom the children all shared one notebook and pencil, I had taken some school supplies with me and felt very humbled at the so obvious pleasure the teacher and children showed at receiving something that cost me so little . Hopefully the conditions have improved now, but Cambodia does remain one of the poorest countries in the world.

At the time we received very little hassle from children or adults but when I visited it was early days of mass tourism and unfortunately tourists are often regarded has having bottomless wallets by those with very little.
Currency- we are taking dollars. Sue- how long are you going for? Have you booked a hotel yet?
Judith- I really can't decide about the trip. But I have to say your trip sounded interesting.
Sue
Fiona, my trip is a pre-cruise deal of 3 nights in the Tara Angkor Hotel plus 2 included excursions to the temples, followed by a cruise out of Singapore to Brunei, Vietnam and Thailand and back to Singapore. I didn't have any choice of hotel, it looks nice though!

Thanks I'll get some dollars!
:) I do hope so, I have wanted to see Angkor Wat for many years. The long flight is a bit off putting, and I hadn't even factored in jet lag!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.