Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
firstly I think you should have been more specific on what type of resort you wanted.

Secondly, as a very regular visitor to Albena Resort, I like many regular visitors are very wary fo what we recomend, as what is good this yeat can be horrible next year and vice versa.

A perusal of the Hotel reviews, could give an inclination of what you want or expect. Tonyt
It's very difficult to offer help on a question such as yours, unless someone has (a) stayed in an AI hotel in Bulgaria and (b) one which meets your criteria.

Personally, I don't use hotels, much less AI ones, and the general tone of posts that have appeared on this forum over the years is that the phrases 'good entertainment' and 'Bulgarian hotel' don't normally appear in the same sentence.

Baldur
Sunny Beach has a larger selection of hotels and entertainment. Personally I would not recommend AI in Bulgaria as both food and drink are relatively cheap and a good variety.
If AI is a must look at the EVRIKA which gets very good reviews.

:sun2 Toonman
AI in Bulgaria, just dont do it, please.

Not many of the big hotels were doing it, but a few have started, and the decent bars nearby are feeling it.

In Sunny Beach/Nessebar/St Vlas there are so many reasonably priced places to eat and drink, it seems a shame to stay in.

Look what has happened in some other countries were AI has led to big hotels surrounded by empty streets.
Got To agree with justjoe AI is killing of a lot of the good restaurents and bars .There is lots of good eating and drinking places to visit June :cheers
Hi All
I also agree that going AI is a waste of money, for example last year I stayed at the pliska hotel in goldensands and the number of people who complained that the food was almost the same everyday,not only in the pliska but a lot of other hotels as well was evident. Most of them then went to eat in the restaurants and said how good the food was. so they not only paid more for AI but ended up having to pay in the restaurants. My wife and me never spent more than 35Lev ( approx £15 ) for two and that is with drinks for our meals. All AI will do is take the trade away from the eating establishments who already find it hard. I go B&B every year and have had no complaints in 7yrs of going to GS.

Roger.
You only have to visit Albena to see the effects that AI has had on a resort which has become virtually totally AI in recent years.

The restaurants there tend to be populated by a lot of worried-looking waiters/restaurateurs and very few customers. There is also a knock-on effect upon the wider area, with taxi drivers, bus operators, wholesalers/shopkeepers/traders in local towns & cities, etc., all being detrimentally affected by this AI trend.

Local workers, who would normally hope to find employment in the resorts over the short summer season to supplement their usually meagre salaries over the rest of the year are also either being employed for shorter periods than usual or are not finding seasonal work at all, because of the decline in business outside the hotel complexes.
We went AI a two years ago, not out of choice (2 adults and 2 kids aged 11 & 9). Wanted to go to a resort we hadn't been to having done Sunny Beach twice and Sozopol once. We did not want to risk going with Balkan after problems in the past, so looked at Thomson instead. We ended up AI in the RIU Helios Bay in Obzor as there was no other board option offered in that town. We were a bit dubious about AI as from previous experience in Sunny Beach, hotel food is not always up to scratch. What a surprise - the hotel was fantastic in every way and I would not hesitate to stay at another RIU hotel. Obzor was a nice little resort with plenty bars and restaurants so we ventured out every night. We caught taxis a few times to Nessebar, Waterpark in Sunny Beach and Byala and didnt spend all our time tied to the hotel because of being AI, so we did our bit for the local economy! The hotel is in a great location, right on the beach and I can recommend it enough.

Enjoy your holiday, whatever you choose!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.