Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
How much you need is really a matter relating to how much you think you will eat and drink and spend. Eating out costs are lower that the UK but the current exchange rate is note making it much better.
Depending on where you stay drinks will also be about the same as the UK

Credit cards are readily accepted virtually everywhere and ATMs are also well located.

I have been going to Gran Canaria for 15 years and never once take and travellers Cheques. Personally I think they are a waste of time
Hi Leanne

Don't bother with Traveller Cheques total waste of time loads of ATM's around Pr and if you've got a Nationwide Debit card you're laughing
Most of the larger shops and restaurants take cards so you'll have no real problems
just take around €100 cash to get usedto handling the stuff

The usual word of warning DO NOT BUY A CAMERA from any of the shops where they stand outside trying to entice you to buy them most are worthless dead bodies that don't work and the shop will deny they sold it to you in the first place

A must is Ma Bakers for Cornish Pasties imported from Cornwall as well as clotted cream teas etc
We never had a bad meal whilst we were there in any place

Enjoy yourselves
Hi, I too am planning a trip to Puerto Rico on Nov the 22nd from Ireland. I agree with the info about travellers cheques. Basically I wouldn't carry too much cash either as security is always a worry. Just keep your A.T.M. card with you and use it as you need. Just be careful. Remember these people who have met just five minutes ago are not your friends much as they may wish to become your friends. There are a lot of dodgy people out there. Obviously some lovely people too but be careful.

The advise you got about the camera stores is very sound advise. Do not under any circumstances purchase from any of those guys. They are all scam artists. Visanta is a reputable store, scattered throughout the Canary Islands. The prices are good and usually non nagiotable!!

Now can anybody help me?? It is my first visit to Puerto Rico, mind you my first visit to Gran Canaria. I will be staying in the Puerto Plata studio's which are 3* and on the upper level of the resort. Anyone know what is a good studio to opt for for maximum comfort and security. I will be travelling with my sister therefore security would be a priority. I have read various reports about peoples rooms being broken into and am concerned about this!!! Any information on the resorts restaurants would also be appreciated along with any other relevant information. Looking forward to hearing from anyone out there in the know. Thanks!
The Puerto Plata is half way between the 2 levels if I remember right.
It's been a while since we stayed there, but I do remember it was a bit of a walk down to the bars and beach and an even worse walk back up again.LOL
Very hilly, lots of steps.
We stopped going to PR because it was to hilly ,to noisy ,just to much.
Ideal for younger people.
We tend to reside in the more sedate P Mogan these days, Ha Ha.
You can see where the apts are on the map.
http://www.canaryforum.com/gc/pricomap.html

As far as security.
Always use a safe to put your money etc in.
Always lock all the doors and windows .
Just be careful.
charlie123xxx wrote:
but I do remember it was a bit of a walk down to the bars and beach and an even worse walk back up again.LOL
Very hilly, lots of steps.

taxis are €3 to go back to the Europa Centre from the harbour

Security is what you can make it just try not to take too much or put it all in one place
Thanks for the info. I never bring too much but I do like to have my camera at hand. The safe sounds like a plan!! Oh only 2days to go thankfully. :cheers :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.