Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
Yes, you can take liquids up to 100ml, but you must present them at security in the regulation clear plastic bag. Further information is available in the hand luggage topic at the top of the Flights forum.
stealable bag it must be as well.like a food bag.those that stick together not the ones with a button that slides across.
I'm not sure about what is meant by bags with a button that slide accross but I use the 20cm x 20cm freezer bags with a zip across the top.
zip ones are no good.need the ones that like glue together.as a zip one is not fully sealed.
I have flown 14 times over the last year, using Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow plus main European and Long haul major airports and have used the bags with zips on each occasion, at no time have I been told they aren't acceptable. The regulation states resealable which they are
ema are very tight on it.as air can get through the zip part.airports do sell them but not the oners with zips on.

Liquids may only be carried in containers no greater than 100ml.
These containers must be brought to the airport contained in a single, transparent, re-sealable plastic bag, which itself must not exceed 1 litre in capacity (approximately 20cm x 20cm). The contents of the plastic bag must fit comfortably and the bag must be sealed.
Each passenger may carry only one such bag of liquids. The bag must be presented for examination.

Liquids that can not be placed inside the re-sealable bag must be packed into the hold luggage and checked in. Liquids of any amount can still be carried in luggage checked into the aircraft
They don't have to be airtight just re-sealable. The bags are practically the same, one the zip is at the top on the other one inch down. I travel extensively have done for over forty years so am quite aware of the regs. Only four days ago flew from Stansted but must admit though that it's at least 8yrs since I used EMA.
EMA security might be sticklers for insisting that passengers use bags like they sell ie those with the sticky bands rather than the ziplock type but it can't be because they are airtight because neither type is fully airtight. Try it, fill both types with water, close them and then lie them flat and see which ones leak! Neither will remain fully air/water tight for all that long. I wouldn't trust either to keep the contents dry if the bags became immersed in water for that matter either.

SM
We always use the zip type and never had any problems at any of the many different airports we have used.
T5 Heathrow have apparently started insisiting that the clear bags used are not the zip ones. This has only been in the last week but many frequent flyers have been experiencing this.
The DfT requirements and the ones stated on various airport websites as well are that it must be a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag , which holds no more than 1 litre and measures approx. 20x 20 cm .

Press together type bags and zip lock bags are acceptable as regards the presentation of liquid items at the security screening area , they both comply with the rules that are set by the DfT in that it must be a resealable bag and all UK airports have to follow the DfT rules .

Now the point of being airtight ! If during the screening process a test is required then some airports will do a sniff test , they find the person with the biggest nose :rofl ;) No not really !!!!!! A sample of vapour is tested from the bag and the press together type bags are a bit better at being airtight so that might be why certain airports might be a bit fussy about the bag sealing device .
For instance they use the sniffer at Gatwick , but if someone has to have their bag tested and if its a zip type they would just transfer it into another bag more suited for their testing procedures.
Others might do a different type of testing so the bag sealing type doesn't matter .

The EMA website states that a resealable bag etc etc must be used as per DfT requirements so they shouldn't really have a problem if the passenger is complying with those rules , but it seems that the press together type bags are more preferable especially if they are going to do a random sniff test. It might just be good practice in the future for people to use the press type bags ??

Thanks for the heads up on Heathrow, Fiona , will make sure the wife gets some nice new shiny bags from work to comply with their procedures , I know why they are tightening up on things ;) we fly out of t5 in just over 2 weeks time , hopefully fast track will be fast , quick will be ok though !!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.