Last week I booked 2 hotel stays at 2 hotels in Malta commencing 18th September 2014 for 16 nights with Travel Republic.

The booking for one hotel was made online the other via one with a Travel Republic Adviser. In both cases I did not receive any form of confirmation via e-mail and I had to make a call to their sales line to arrange for the paperwork to be posted to me.
On receipt of the paperwork I discovered omissions and called their sales line again for the paperwork. Again there were omission. So I called their sales line again for the hotel vouchers; which I received today.

Being a suspicious soul I decided to call up each of the hotels in Malta to see if they had actually received my bookings.

- My booking commencing 28th September 2014 (6 nights) at the Corinthia Hotel appeared to be ok according to the hotels reservation office. This was for 2 rooms, half board.

- My booking commencing 18th September 2014 (10 nights) at the Fortina Spa Hotel is the one with a problem. The hotels reservation office stated that they only have one room booked in my Daughters name. Two rooms should have been booked; half board.

This is the first time I have used Travel Republic and the first time ever that I have experienced these types of problems with any form of booking agent.

When I spoke to their adviser (Bac) he stated that your investigation process takes 48 hours and I would receive a call. He did not say that the problem would be resolved in 48 hours. What compounds this problem in my eyes is the fact that my booking is during the Maltese 50th anniversary of Independence and rooms are in short supply and I am going to be left without a room at the hotel of my choice.

Looking at other comments about Travel Republic this looks like their Modus Operandii. Make out a booking has been made, then inform customers at the last minute that the hotel has been overbooked. Due to my distrust I have seemingly found out the problem early enough for something to be sorted out (hopefully).