General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We met a family in Ibiza about 7 years ago,they live in Manchester and we live in Norwich.We all got on so well that we went on holiday with them for the next 6 years and visited them for a weekend each year in between our holidays.The last holiday we had with them was in 2009 when we all went to Cyprus.The following year our son had been going out with his girlfriend for 18 months,and her parents invited him on holiday with them to Florida,this meant that we couldn't take our holiday at the same time as our friends so that was our last holiday with them.

We are still in contact with them but they still have 2 sons at home ,our son is still with his girlfriend so holidays with her and it has spoilt the dynamics of the 2 families holidaying together but we all feel that as the boys go their separate ways we will holiday together as a foursome.We went to visit them for a weekend at the beginning of the year and will do so again next year.Our friendship remains intact.
In 1990 I was touring China with a small group of people, OH rarely goes on holiday so I'm usually on my own. There was another women on the tour who was also alone and we became quite friendly, shared tables at meals, sat together on internal flights etc. and got on really well.
She lived in a lovely part of Wales and for the next 17years until she moved to Dorset I visited her yearly. Since then I have been to Dorset a couple of times and she has visited me in Germany a few times.
Next month we will be going to Eygpt together on Nile and Lake Nasser Cruises which will be the 7th holiday that we have taken together.
In between visits we email or phone each other and I now regard her as one of my closest friends.
I used to make all the usual promises about staying in touch, phoning and visiting but once back home I'd never bother as I'd either realise they weren't 'that' nice or that a 3hr+ round trip for a bit of a snog etc. was impractical :duh

However, I did meet one lovely girl in Ibiza in 1999 who was so gorgeous that I did drive up to Glasgow every couple of weekends for 2-3 months, however, it didn't last.
My holidays nowadays do not revolve around meeting as many girls as possible and I rarely come home with a single phone number as my wife would not approve!!!
met a girl in lloret 4 years ago who i promised to go back and visit, and have managed to do so............every 5 weeks or so, sometimes just for the weekend but usually for 5 or 6 days at a time.
i have managed to persuade friends that they will like this area, and so i go with them to malgrat(they are too old to appreciate lloret) about 3 times every year -it's only 20 kms up the road to lloret - and so i get a lads holiday and can combine that with visits to lloret :tup its getting more difficult now with ryanair pulling the gatwick/gerona flights so now i have to do bournemouth to gerona or gatwick to barcelona.
however, for the lads holiday we go with ferris. so tomorrow i'm off to malgrat with the lads, and will spend 3 or 4 nights in lloret next week. the best of both worlds ;)
We don't normally strike up friendships on holiday as we are just too focused on each other. Hubby and I both work long hours and I work shift work so love our quality times when holidaying. We did however get friendly with a couple and their 10 month old son in Egypt around 2 years ago. We ended up stopping off at their hotel on the way back from the airport. Had a nice meal there and a chin wag. They live 2 hours away from us and are obviously really busy with their hotel. Hubby's been up there around 7 times in the last 2 years as he's done some plumming work there. I've been to see them 3 times, the last being nearly a year ago so must make an effort to re-visit. Hubby and the guy text from time to time.
About 10 years ago I met a lovely couple from Wales with two children and my son was then about the same age, and we exchanged addresses and have kept in touch for Christmas, Easter cards that type of thing, but sadly never visited
Last summer we met a family in France who live just a few miles from us. My older daughter and their daughter hit off and we have met up a few times since. We were all back at the same place this summer but they arrived the day we left and we passed them on the road from the ferry terminal to Caen (the ferry they went over on was the one taking us back). The wife's sister was there with us this year and we are hoping to all be there at the same time next year.
My mum has been on her own for 30 years and once my brother and I were no longer holidaying with her she decided to go on a coach tour. At the first motorway service stop she sat down at a table with her cup of tea and two other ladies from the coach realised she was alone and asked if they could join her. Over 20 years later she and these two sisters meet up regularly and have been all over Europe and North America together.
10 years ago while in lanzarote- we met a couple who had a son of 8, our son was the same age. The lads got on brilliant- and it wasn't really until the last few days of the holiday we got talking to the parents- who we got on brilliantly with. They were from norwich - we are from leeds..

To cut a long story short- the lads kept in touch. When we got back we booked our holiday to benalmdena - my son told the other lad this- and said "My mum said why don't you ask your mum and dad if they want to come too" (I never did). Anyway the lads mum rang me, and asked if I minded- (I didn't- and the lads were made up)

Every year from then onwards we all went away on holiday. Our lads are both 18 now- and have girlfriends, this year they din't want to come- so just the four of us went!,

Next year they will be six of us- as the lads are bringing their girlfriends.

Belly
I've kept in touch with people I've met in Tunisia over the years. A German lady from Reading I met on my first trip over 10 years ago still goes to Sousse and if we are there at the same time we meet up for coffee and I've met up with another lady from Oxford in London for dinner and a show. Another HT member and his wife are good friends after meeting in Sousse and I keep in touch with all of them by phone and e-mail if we can't meet up.
we met a family 7 years ago in alcudia they were put in the wrong apartments they hated it but we loved it. we used to give them a lift into town every night as they didnt have a car we all got on well, we swapped numbers and we were invited to kent we live in durham, we got on really well and booked another holiday together in mallorca for the next year all our kids got on really well, next year they are treating me hubby and my two girls to their free accomodation they have with Disney vacation we just have to find the flights only worry is spending 14 days together in 1 big apartment but thanks to them i can take my kids to disneyworld usa .
Made friends with a few people over the years and about 20 of us meet up twice a year on holiday. Very cosmopolitan group now: English, Spanish, Dutch, German, Belgian & Italian.
Also had a few come to visit us from Germany Slovakia, Canaries and we've stayed with them.
Great fun!
I was thrown together with the only other single lady on an excursion here in Lanzarote over 20 years ago....we were both very wary, but ended up spending the rest of the holiday meeting up, and we both ended up living in Lanzarote, and becoming great friends!!

Next week I am travelling to Barcelona to meet up with a Texan couple I met on a cruise 2 years ago, we have kept in touch since then, and I am very excited to be going to see them! We have kept in touch via email, but this will be the first time since that I have met up with them.
Many years ago i used to go to Jersey every October with my mother-in-law,her sister and friend.
One morning while waiting for the hire car to arrive we got talking to a couple in the garden who were there in a large group.
He asked if we wanted to join them as they had 2 minibuses and had 4 vacant seats.
We cancelled the car hire and met up with these lovely people from Walsall for many years.
We visited them and they stayed with us.
We lost touch with them but they were in Benidorm a few years later and got talking to a couple who knew may husbands brother.
I was delighted to get a phone call from them one Christmas eve.
We arranged to meet the following month in Benidorm but this was a few years ago and have since lost touch despite me phoning them and writing letters.
I have tried tracing them through Friends Reunited and Facebook but to no avail. :cry
We did the reverse.. went to Lanzarote and met up with Madsue... what a good day!!

ATB,J.
Made friends with the 3 other couples on our table on our last cruise. The Aussies did a European (but not UK) trip a couple of months ago and met up with the expats who live near Alicante. Sadly the dates just didn't suit us so we missed out on that reunion :( However, there is a suggestion that we all meet up with the couple who live in Missouri (hence my post elsewhere) next year. I hope it does happen.
We've just got back from our reunion and it all went brilliantly ! They made us feel really welcome and there was no awkewardness or anything, so it was really good !! They are coming up to us in a couple of months . :tup
We have kept in touch with some of the people we met on the last dive liveaboard..they were a fantastic bunch of people and I chat to a few of them quite regularly on facebook...but otherwise..no, we would not really keep in touch with anyone we have met on holiday. The thought would not even occur to me.

I think the kids did keep in touch with some other kids we met in the Canaries years ago ( Gav had abit of a holiday fling with a girl called Paige) but that fizzled out once the sun tan faded!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.