Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hayes and Jarvis
13 Posts
Have I got this right feebs? Hayes and Jarvis were tardy in taking the money for your deposit which gave you a window for cancelling a holiday you'd changed your mind about? Had they taken the deposit quicker you'd have lost the whole of it and not just £50 if you'd changed your mind. Taking the time to tell them that you'd decided to cancel the holiday because they had taken so long to take your deposit would have saved you the bank charges or at the very least given you stronger grounds for reclaiming the bank charges as a result of them taking the deposit from your account contrary to your expressed wishes. In the absence of any further communication from you after providing them with your credit card details is it possible that you also contributed to the poor communication situation?

SM
Hello Feebs

I would just like to say, whilst I sympathise with you and the position you now find yourself in, and as difficult as it may be, try not to be derogatory or malicious with your complaint, this will not help your case.

Stick to the facts, criticising them directly will only cloud the points you are trying to make.

When you next speak to them, ask if the calls are recorded and monitored, if so, ask them to listen to your original call for clarification.

Good luck

Driver02
I don't think you both understood the point I was trying to make

This happened last year - The question I was asking in the forum is has anyone else had problems with Hayes and Jarvis, or are they mostly a good company to book through?

Secondly - I wasn't having second thoughts about the booking (I was really looking forward to it) and wouldn't have wanted to cancel the holiday if they had taken the deposit out when they were supposed to. But as they had messed me about and it was just after the hotel bombing I thought it would be best to have my holiday somewhere else.
So, I think I am quite right to be upset for them making the error (which they later admitted to) and costing me £50 in bank charges. I did stick to the facts which is why they apologised and replaced the deposit money BUT if it hadn't have been for their incompetence then I wouldn't have incurred the bank charges

SM - you asked if I contributed to the mistake? I gave them my credit card details TWICE. It was also 2 WEEKS after I was sent a confirmation lettter stating that the holiday had been cancelled (I forgot to put that in original post) that the money had been taken from my account so I really don't think that it's my fault that the departments couldn't communicate between themselves properly.

So, to recap - the main question I am asking other members is Has anyone else had problems booking a Hayes and Jarvis holiday, or are they on the whole a good company?
Hi feebs ... to find the answer to your question about Hayes and Jarvis, the quickest way may be to use the Search facility at the top of the page.

If you use keywords 'Hayes Jarvis', select 'Search for all terms', search all available forums and categories, and display results as 'posts', that should retrieve for you every message posted about Hayes and Jarvis across the whole site.

David :wave
Thanks for the tip, but I''ve checked and there's no other topics mentioning complaints about Hayes and Jarvis

So if any members do have a story to share, please let me know, thanks
Hayes & Jarvis are part of the First Choice group. Yes - on the whole I think they are a fairly good company.
I have had a couple of longhaul holidays with Hayes and Jarvis, both were
very good once I got to my destination but I did find their administration in the UK somewhat lacking in efficiency, tickets didn't arrive until the last minute and on one occasion the wrong departure times were printed on tickets which resulted in lots of time being spent on telephone checking details.
I have only travelled with Hayes and Jarvis once and that was in 1996. I would never recommend this company to anyone. It took us nearly 5 years to get compensation out of them. In the middle of the claim they were taken over by First Choice. We would not use this company either. In the course of our claim we met many people who had problems with First Choice. So it was very appropriate that Hayes and Jarvis were taken over by another bad tour operator.
We booked a holiday for Christmas 2017 on November 6th and paid a deposit of £750! On Monday 7th, we unfortunately found out we could not make this date and also our financial circumstances changed dramatically! Therefore we could no longer make or afford the holiday. We called both the agent Thomson and Hayes And Jarvis on Monday 7th, less then 24 hours after the booking! Also, it is worth recognising the flights are not even scheduled yet! We were told outright by Hayes and Jarvis and Thomson that we would lose our deposit, or we could transfer our holiday!
We do not want to transfer, as we cannot afford and now feel pressured to do this, or lose the money! The company is not looking at this from a fair perspective, they are just acting as a money grabbing corporation who were so quick to get the deposit and are now clinging on to it, regardless of the family who are having financial difficulty! They are holding us to ransom to book another holiday through them, which we do not want to do or can afford! Terrible customer service and we will never use this company again and I warn everyone off using them!
Did you not take out holiday insurance ???
I don't understand how you can say their customer service is terrible when you were the one who accepted the companies terms and conditions when you made the booking. Regardless you decide to cancel within 24 hours or regardless if the flights are scheduled yet. I don't think the travel company would have forced you to book with them, you made that decision and you must of signed or agreed to the companies booking conditions. Did you not take travel insurance? I think that is a very stupid mistake you made and hence have lost your deposit. You should be happy that they have agreed to transfer your deposit to a new holiday and not just keep your deposit.
Sounds like this is all down to your stupid mistakes and you are trying to blame someone else. Think you need to have a good look at yourself before you start using words like ransom and terrible customer service. It is very easy to blame other people for your own stupid mistakes.
When you book a holiday you are making a contract. Both parties are bound by the Terms & Conditions. You agreed them when you made the booking.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.