Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Please feel free to move this to a better forum, but ...

I'm looking for an overnight hotel close to Terminal 5. I can't afford the Sofitel unless I win the lottery very soon, so need somewhere easy to access with a clean bed and hot water.

Please advise if the 'Heathrow Hoppa' bus service has several busses running at one time. I'm scared that it'll be just one transit doing ALL the hotels on the loop and therefore full after the first one!

All advice and experiences welcomed. Many thanks in advance.
Alsa

I usually use Holiday Extras for booking a hotel at Heathrow and got a very good deal last October when booking one of their undercover hotels which turned out to be the Sheraton Skyline. There are I believe other companies that offer similar discounts on Heathrow hotels.

There are lots of different Hoppa buses, each one goes to about 4 hotels. Check out the following
http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm

Judith
Depends on your travel dates but I picked up the Travel lodge at Terminal 5 for under 25 pound for September (Mid week) for a double room.

The hopper buses all cost about four pounds fifty to any hotel one way.

Nivsy
Thanks for those ideas! I had discovered these but wasn't sure if there's enough space on the Hoppas for all those wanting to get to the airport early in the morning or whether I should book a taxi and say hang the expense to be sure of getting there at the right time ...........
I've never taken a really early Hoppa but haven't ever had a problem on later ones. They are often quite crowded but I've never seen a bus so full that they have had to refuse passengers.
Anyone know the potential saving of buying a Canon 550D/600D at the airport rather than in the high street?

I could do with an upgrade, and am going through T5 in early Sept.

:tup
IainB99 wrote:
Anyone know the potential saving of buying a Canon 550D/600D at the airport rather than in the high street?

If it's anything like Manchester duty free shopping, there's not much saving, if any from high street prices if you shop around.

Darren
No saving at all in the "Duty Free" shops now-a-days for anything electrical. For camera gear try http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk for an up to date price guide across most retailers.

Cheers,
Ralph
Thanks guys.

I've previously had good savings on stuff like headphones and the like, but forgot to take a look at Dixons in NCL a few weeks ago. I now know what the best price is and will check against that before deciding.

Really need to make the upgrade from my 300D, but unsure whether I can afford the jump to the 600D. Just a lottery win away from an EOS1D...

:rofl
jetnoise wrote:
Really need to make the upgrade from my 300D, but unsure whether I can afford the jump to the 600D. Just a lottery win away from an EOS1D...

:offtop You'll have to factor in quality lenses if you want to make the most of the sensor. It's high resolution and requires good quality glass. PM if you want more details.

Darren
We are flying SAA to Johannesburg, flight SAA235 from terminal 1. We have booked the Service Air lounge and was wondering if anyone knew which is the likley departure gate for this flight and how long to walk to there from the lounge?

Cheers,

Jim
Seating preference is really a perrsonal thing but you can check the configuration on the link below:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/worldt/public/en_gb

Nivsy
We're staying at the Park Inn (a bit apprehensive) before a morning flight from terminal five. Does anyone know how long it will take the hoppa bus to get us from the hotel to the terminal? Is it worth booking a taxi? There will be four of us so £18 on the bus, would a taxi be cheaper and faster? Thanks Pam :cheers
We had a bad room at the Park inn, the pipes in bathroom made an awful noise all night, our bed collapsed in middle of night, also several other niggles, I complained in morning but reception staff did not really care, after returning from holiday I wrote to head office and they refunded all my money, hotel breakfast and parking which I thought very good. Our friends who were with us their room was very good and had no problems so don't worry!!

We took a taxi to the airport, think it worked out the same price but was easier!
Thank you, I think we may well book a taxi it seems less hassle than getting on a bus. I'm keeping everything crossed, I have emailed them with concerns after reading the reviews as well as contacting holiday extras. We booked it as a 'secret' hotel assuming a 4 star would be good. I could cancel it but the reviews are variable for all the hotels so we might as well just hope for the best. Thanks again :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.