Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I want to be able to travel down from the East Midlands and stay in a hotel more or less next to Heathrow, so we dont have to travel anymore. We are flying out to San francisco from Terminal 4 in June 2007. I did try the Hilton next door, but they were charging me about £150 per room, and my daughter couldnt come in with me and hubby, she would be on her own(so thats £300).

Is there any cheaper web sites for the same hotel, or is it a case i have to travel to the airport from a hotel further out.

By the way, i am coming from the East Midlands via cab.

Thank you...

Michelle.
We are flying BA from Helsinki to London landing Terminal 1, collecting our luggage and rechecking into Aerlingus to go to Dublin. Can anyone tell me if we have to go through customs and immigration to collect our luggage. I cant check our luggage all the way through from Sydney as the London to Dublin is a separate ticket. We have a 2 hour time frame to do this. Am I ok?
Yes - you will be required to pick up bags and clear immigration at the Terminal 1 baggage reclaim hall at LHR - then proceed upstairs and check in with Aer Lingus for next flight to Dublin. Are BA and EI not both in One World partnering? I do recall EI may be removing themselves from it - then again that might have been someone else. If they are - you could always try and persuade BA check in at Helsinki (or is it Sydney u coming from? bit confused with that ) to put bags thru to DUB for you if you produce your ticket for Aer Lingus? Its just a thought.

If not, you should be ok for connections etc - checking in with Aer Lingus etc - its just a bit of a delay as the baggage reclaim hall for international flights are slow at certain times of the day - and sometimes even the walk from aircraft to reclaim belts can be around 10 mins.

Nivsy
Thanks Nivsy. I'm flying Sydney to London via Hongkong and Helsinki on the one ticket. London to Dublin is a separate ticket. Would I have to put any duty free I buy in Hongkong into our check in luggage in London. I'm just hoping Sydney will be good to me and put my checkin luggage to go through to Dublin so I only have to transit Heathrow.
Hi,we are staying at LHR for 1 night prior to our flight to SA,anyone know any airport hotels with views of the runway?cheers Mark
Hi Mark,

Some rooms at the Rennaissance overlook T4 runway but you would need to make a specific request.

Regards,

Heather
Fog is causing severe disruption to flights at Heathrow, with BA having cancelled domestic flights for the rest of the day ..... click here for more.

David :wave
Due to the continued freezing fog conditions, BAA and National Air Traffic Services are having to restrict the number of flights which will be able to operate at Heathrow. It is anticipated that the airport will be only be able to operate around 50% of its scheduled flight movements tomorrow (Thursday 21 December).

Anyone scheduled to travel to or from London Heathrow in the next 24 hours should contact their airline for further advice, before setting off for the airport.

According to the Met Office, weather conditions may not improve for 48 hours and so further disruption should be anticipated in the days ahead.

David
Christmas chaos - third day of flight disruption

Thick fog is still causing severe disruption to British Airways and other flights for a third day.

The airline planned to cancel at least 170 Heathrow flights today including all domestic services, representing 40% of its short haul flying schedule.

Hundreds of passengers were left sleeping overnight at the airport. Around 200,000 are due to be flying from Heathrow today but an estimated 40,000 will find their flights disrupted.
A BA statement last night said: "As a result of the severe fog which is forecast to last for another 48 hours, BA will be operating a much reduced short haul flying schedule on Friday, December 22."

The carrier is running coach services from Heathrow to Newcastle, Manchester, Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh and transported more than 3,000 passengers by road on Wednesday and Thursday.

A total of 350 flights at Heathrow were cancelled yesterday and airport operator BAA's website crashed during the morning due to the weight of enquiries. About 180 BA flights were cancelled out of a normal total of 400 shorthaul services on top of 223 cancellations across all airlines on Wednesday. Services to and from mainland Europe were also badly disrupted.

BA warned of the likelihood of continuing disruption until the fog lifts.

Passengers have been advised to check the status of their flight before leaving for the airport. Those on domestic flights have been advised not to go to Heathrow.

But thousands have had their Christmas travel plans ruined due to the poor weather conditions across many parts of the UK. Other airports affected today include London City Airport, Southampton, Cardiff and Norwich.

BA said air traffic control had placed restrictions on the numbers of flights allowed to take off and land at Heathrow due to the dense fog. Passengers due to fly on any cancelled flight are being able to re-book, re-route their ticket, subject to availability, or claim a full refund, BA said.

Bmi, Alitalia and Lufthansa also had flights affected.

BA ground operations director Geoff Want said: "We would like to continue to apologise to all customers who have been disrupted as a result of the continuous dense fog, which is unprecedented in recent times.

"The weather across much of the UK is regrettably showing little sign of improvement for Friday and therefore we have no option but to make some more cancellations.

"Faced with the likelihood of continuing fog we are urging our customers due to travel over the weekend on domestic services to and from Heathrow to begin thinking about alternative ways of travelling wherever possible in case the current weather persists.

"We will keep updating our website http://www.ba.com with the very latest flight information."

A BAA statement said: "Our airports are experiencing disruption due to the dense and, in some places, freezing fog which is set to continue over the coming days.

"Passengers intending to fly in the next few days are strongly advised to check with their airlines on the status of their flight before departing for the airport."

With permission from Travelmole
landing into terminal 3 at 9am how long will it take from landing to get to the national express coach departure point as i need to book the coach now,also is the coach departure point easy to find in terminal 3.thanks. hope this makes sense.
Once you obtain your luggage, it can take about 10 mins, providing on:

a) How long it takes for your luggage to arrive in the arrials hall ( I have waitd somtimes up to 45 mins)

b) You are not stopped by customs.
thanks driver ,now know which coach to book.
Can anyone tell me whether there are any discounted fees for the Servisair lounges at Heathrow?

Sue
I cannot seem to find a thread on Heathrow airport? Maybe I'm not loking hard enough??? Anyway, what I would like to ask is..we fly down to Heathrow from Edinburgh on Saturday with B.A. and arrive in terminal 1, then our flight to Bangkok with Thai Airways leaves from terminal 3. How far is terminal 1 from terminal 3 and how do we get there. It is probable that we will not be able to check our luggage right through at Edinburgh, so will have our luggage with us too. We are flying business with Thai, but economy with B.A. I assume we can use the business class lounge at Heathrow? What is the lounge like, also is there many shops at terminal 3?
Cheers.
There is a Heathrow thread here which might give some info -
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5038&highlight=heathrow+airport

EDIT: Thanks Graham, post now merged with Heathrow thread
David HT Mod
I'm not really very familiar with Heathrow airport as it's not one I have ever flown from. But can anybody recommend a cheap and cheerful hotel ( like a Travelodge) where I can stay the night ( with car) so that I can meet my daughter off an international flight that arrives about 2pm. I'm a bit worried about driving down from ooop North in the morning as I may hit the rush hour traffic on the M25!!! Thanks peeps.
Hbrac,
No such thing as a cheap and cheerful hotel near Heathrow - not that I would recommend anyway! There is a TravelLodge in Staines which is only a short drive away, but that is around £70 per night mid-week. On top of that you have to pay for parking (at £1 per hour between 07:00 and 18:00) as the hotel does not have its own car park but uses the adjacent shopping centre's!
There is another Travelodge at the Westbound and Eastbound Heston Services on the M4 (just east of the Heathrow exit) which are, for the 7th June for example, £49 per night).

Cheers,
Jet
Thank you Kiltman for directing me to the Heathrow topic and to Mod David for putting my post in the correct place. :lol: I was searching everywhere for the Heathrow thread. Old age!! It comes to us all :roll: Thanks Jet for your advice. I will check out the Travelodge on the Heston Services. Who needs sleep anyway :lol:
Me again. Thanks to Jet I have booked a saver room at Heston Services Travelodge. A bargain at £49. What a great site this is. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.