Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I had the opportunity to go through T5 as a test passenger last Saturday. They gave you a profile of a passenger and you then basically acted as a test passengers and went through the airport. I was a passenger flying to Hong Kong, then an inbound passenger from New York connecting to a flight to Nice.

I was impressed with the terminal (although easy to say having been used to the dirty, old and congested other terminals at LHR) but there were probably only about 2000 test passengers going through the terminal at the time of the trial rather than to 10's of thousands that will use it each day.

In all my years of using LHR I had never not seen a queue as long as the River Nile at the security screening area. On the trial we had no one in front of us, a choice of screening areas to pick from and happy smiling staff. It didn't feel real!

I think you are very lucky to be travelling though the terminal on the first day. I'm sure it will be fine. With the eyes of many on its opening and the UK media probably found at every turn, British Airways and the BAA will not want to see anything go wrong over those first few days.
thanks traveller.That was interesting to hear. I just hope the pilots dont choose that day to strike.
hopefully I can give a positive review of T5 :) We arrive from Aberdeen at 8am so we will be one of the earliest flights.
BA urging passengers to check flight details as Heathrow T5 opening approaches ... click here for more info in our BA Q&As topic.

David :wave
What an appalling mess the much heralded opening of Terminal 5 at Heathrow turned out to be.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/news/article3636107.ece

So in the end they didn't need Climate Protesters or a BA pilot strike to cause ciaos, the BAA and BA management can take credit for the opening day disaster. 34 flights cancelled, passengers being told they can only take hand-baggage on flights - what a mess. I see the BAA and British Airways are blaming each other. No surprise there. That BA spokesperson on Sky News and ITN was terrible. I'm surprised he wasn't publically lynched.

Seeing the television news reports last night of people being inconvenienced on what should have been a day of celebration for the UK aviation industry was awful. Listening to the stories on the news reports or overseas arriving and departing (or should have been departing) passengers was saddening. What must overseas visitors think of us?

I do hope someone takes accountability.

(Hope Fiona HT Mod got away OK)
Well I was wrong! (or at least to the first part)

I think you are very lucky to be travelling though the terminal on the first day. I'm sure it will be fine. With the eyes of many on its opening and the UK media probably found at every turn, British Airways and the BAA will not want to see anything go wrong over those first few days.
Why didn't they use Terminal 1 as an overflow/extra terminal ...... or is that completely empty with no staff and no equipment?
HI,

I have volunteered to pick up a party of visiting American students and their teachers from Heathrow Terminal 4 on a Sunday.

It is a high roof bus and so mulit story car parks are out of the question as are any with height restriction bars at the entrance.

So the question is how easy will it be to park up so that I can go into the Terminal to meet the party?
Hi,

Quick question. Flying down to LHR T5 (from MAN) in the summer. The staying over in the Heathrow Marriot Hotel, then the following day going to T3 for a flight to SFO.

There are 4 passengers, so for transfer from T5 to hotel, would it be cheaper to get a taxi? Would that be a black cab and are they easy to pick up? (Instead of the 'hotel hoppa').

Also, for the following day, would you advise getting a taxi from the hotel to T3? Or is it possible to walk?

Many thanks,
Richard.
How long will it take, realistically, to get from T5 with BA, collect bags and re-check in with Egypt Air in T3?
Our booking has flight times of 11.30 from Manchester, getting to LHR T5 at 12.30, with a 3.15pm fight to Cairo from T3.
Assuming E. Air check in closes at around 2pm, we have an hour and a half to make the connection.
Is it me or is that cutting things a bit fine?
Hi,

Quick question. Flying down to LHR T5 (from MAN) in the summer. The staying over in the Heathrow Marriot Hotel, then the following day going to T3 for a flight to SFO.

There are 4 passengers, so for transfer from T5 to hotel, would it be cheaper to get a taxi? Would that be a black cab and are they easy to pick up? (Instead of the 'hotel hoppa').

Also, for the following day, would you advise getting a taxi from the hotel to T3? Or is it possible to walk?

Many thanks,
Richard.

The taxis can be quite expensive. If you want cheap, get the HEX from T5 to Heathrow Central (free), make your way upstairs and jump on the 285 bus at stance 21 at Heathrow Central Bus Station - busses every 10 minutes from five past the hour onwards. This is a free journey taking only a few minutes. Just ask the driver to let you off at the Marriot.

You could also get the 285 for the return trip. It will take you a couple of minutes from the Central Bus Station to T3. Its quite a walk from the hotel to T3 and the bus is free.
That's great advice, thanks very much for your help Mcewansexport! I will do just that!

Cheers,
Rich.

PS - How come the bus is free, if its a 'normal' london bus, do you not have to use oyster cards, for example?
You are welcome:) All busses are free within the Heathrow site (as far as Hatton Cross) - the Marriot is on the Bath Road, well before Hatton Cross.
Hi does anyone know of a decent hotel that is reasonably priced and close to Heathrow terminal 2,thanks in advance.
going to australia in oct 2008
flying from newcastle to heathrow terminal 4
now we need to get to terminal 5 we have about an hour (flights being on time)
never been to heathrow before were just country people lol
how do we get from 4 to 5 anyone point us in the right direction :tup
that is just not enough time I'm afraid. Did a TA book that for you? Transfer coach will take about 15 minutes and you need to be at T5 more than 25 minutes before departure.
:whoops
we get to heathrow at1025 terminal 5
next flight to singapore is 1215 terminal 4
wife gave me wrong info sorry
so how do we get from 5 to 4?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.