Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
if it were to be the case that heavier passengers were to be charged mor then it would only be fair if the weight calculation included the luggage also.
We are both a tad overweight but always use less than our allowed luggage, and so I would want the kilos saved on luggage taken off my body weight.
Perhaps an alternative would be for aircraft to have wide seats, (as with extra leg room) and make an extra charge for these, or, even more radically, actually supply a reasonable amount of room per passenger !
taking a wider perspective... perhaps they should also include higher fares for travel on buses, taxis and charge more for car road tax i.e. if you are heavy you will be wearing the road surface down so should pay more than those lightweight people who would wear out the road over a longer period of time.

Perhaps airlines should include a 'fat' class in addition to the first and economy - perhaps they should also consider providing larger toilet areas and bigger loo seats to accommodate those with larger bums that need the extra space when they are sitting down using the these facilities..

Airlines queuing system of 'priority' and 'other' could then also have 'fat buggers' line - to load last of course so they don't tip the plane up.

the world indeed has gone mad.
Hi Chris , having a good day are we ? :D
I really do urge you to send , I mean not send your ideas to MOL ,

I've thought that if they were to do this , would the weigh in at checkin be in the style of a weigh in before a boxing bout , in your pants staring each other out :D nipping off for a quick skip to lose a couple of pounds ?
hi andy66,

Having a lovely day thank you and the weather here 'up north' is unusually warm - perhaps that's whats the problem is !

My problem with this is that I would have to source some lightweight 'budgie smugglers' if they consider a weigh in at checkin to reduce the fat tax fees.

Other options prior to flying would be to have a haircut and either prunes for breakfast or something related to 'irrigation' springs to mind.

Not a problem to me as long as they don't have speaking your weight scales !

ps for various reasons I'm no longer the slim whippersnapper I used to be but still don't need a seat belt extension ! - but have to breath in to do the belt up when flying with Ryanair/Easyjet, Jet2 are wonderful and I have to tighten up their seatbelts - well done to them.
hi all well here I go im one of the larger passengers through an accident I had a few years ago I am now in a wheelchair and look forward to my yearly holiday my husband is also 6ft1 and yes I use an extention belt well just to let you know I will be on a flight to bourgas on the 1st of june flying from Manchester so if you want to change your plans please feel free cos I will be on that plane just like you lucky slim people.don't worry I will be sat by the window with hubby in the middle so you can rest assured I will not spill out onto your seat
topofthetower sorry if this thread hads upset you and i am sorry to hear about an accident causing you a disability.
i worked as a support worker and in rehabilitation for over 25 years so i do understand the problems people with disabilities face and i 100% promote independence and believe people like yourself should have holidays.
i would never discriminate against an able bodied or disabled person, or for that matter an overweight person and a slim person.
the following is not directed at you personally topofthetower
however i have got to say i worked and save hard for my holidays as a tall person i find flights cramped at the best of times but i do believe when i pay for a seat on a plane that is what i should get, not two thirds of a seat because the person next to me is too large to fit within their own seat space.
i had an uncle who was very obese but still travelled the world enjoying his holidays, he always paid for two seats though.
some us airlies already make a charge an i can forsee it wont be long till it hapens in europe, It won't be any good quoting human rights as the airlines will be able to prove the cost per kg/stone to transport passengers

but if i have to pay more will i be able to get a reduction on my skinny grandaughter????
My OH is 5'11 and must be about 15 stone?!

He takes up ALL the arm rest (im always next to the window, squashed in)

This year we flew with monarch and i got off the 4hour 15flight afterwards with the worst backache at the bottom of my back from being squeezed into a seat!

Im 5'4 and 11 stone but i dont spill onto his side!

Speaking of.. Flying with ryan air 30th may, whats it like for size wise seatbelts/leg room compared to monarch?

If anyone has any tips for lower back pain when flyng PLEASE let me know! Someone suggested rolling your jacket up and putting it between your lower back and chair? Like they have in offices?!

H xx
Easyjet and Ryanair offer standard seating with greater legroom than flying cattle class in Thomson/Thom Cook/Monach etc.

Ryanair pitch 30', Easyjet 29' pitch - Easyjet seats 1' wider than Ryanairs.

From experience Ryanair seats/space from row 30 back to the rear door seem to be a little narrower, possible due to the curvature of the back of the plane
i may be wrong but i think the armrest in most of Ryan air boeings are fixed
Wizard,

The armrests are moveable, on Ryanair the aisle seats armrest can also be moved up - haven't yet found the magic button on Easyjets aisle seats to do this.

Perhaps you were thinking of the seat recline - which thankfully, Ryanairs and Easyjets, do not.

On a recent Easyjet flight to Tenerife the person in front of me (and his wife) were looking everywhere for the recline button and pushing his seat back with his body in frustration to try and make it recline - of course it didn't.

Chris
jhe I did not say it was directed at me I was merely trying to put my point to the discussion my husband also works hard for our holiday and we save up all year he is also tall 6ft1 we all know the seats are small but unfortunately we are not all in the same position as your uncle and able to buy 2 seats that's why I sit by the window with my husband in the middle then if my ass spills onto his seat that's our choice
just something i remember being told that some of the intermediat armrest dont lift [as i dont bother i have never tried it] my only complaint is i have a back problem and cant sit olt upright, when we get off either Ryan air or easy jet it takes several hours for the pain to subside, i dont need full reclining but 1 notch makes all the diffrence to me
topofthetower wrote:
jhe I did not say it was directed at me I was merely trying to put my point to the discussion my husband also works hard for our holiday and we save up all year he is also tall 6ft1 we all know the seats are small but unfortunately we are not all in the same position as your uncle and able to buy 2 seats that's why I sit by the window with my husband in the middle then if my ass spills onto his seat that's our choice

i meant my reply was not directed at you.
my uncle had a choice stay at home or book two seats.
so i understand what you mean when you say you sit next to the window and your husband next to you.
but do you think its acceptable for some folk to have endure a long flight (or even a short flight) with two thirds of a seat because the person next to them cannot fit into their own seat space?
Huh, maybe we should all pay by BMI then, because that includes the height and the weight. What an utterly stupid idea... I can see how it's not okay if big people take up space that I paid for, but if weight would really play a role in how much we pay for tickets, airline or bus or taxi or whatever, that would not be good either...
Garry07 wrote:
Huh, maybe we should all pay by BMI then, because that includes the height and the weight. What an utterly stupid idea... I can see how it's not okay if big people take up space that I paid for, but if weight would really play a role in how much we pay for tickets, airline or bus or taxi or whatever, that would not be good either...

I think that total weight , ie baggage and people does play a role , because it requires energy to move it and that energy is fuel , which has to be incorporated in the ticket price ?? That's why baggage restrictions are getting tighter all the time or surcharges added , people are just the next obvious target ?
I think that total weight ,

Thats quite true..but..
the ticket price also includes the cost of the fuel to move the duty free goods, in flight meals, drinks etc.
So if I don't use or buy these products I'm subsidising those who do unless I am given a discount on my ticket!
Also little babies are transported free as long as they don't have a seat but they are not weightless and still incur a cost to transport.
Where do we draw the line?
we flew with my 5 month grandchild although it says they travel free as a group we paid around £50 more than if he was not travelling.
this summer holiday i have paid almost £900 (full adult price) for a week for my 11 year old grandchild. i cant complain he is taking up a seat on the flight, eating food at the hotel. all six of us on the booking have paid extra on the base price of the holiday because our baby grandchild is travelling supposedly free with us.
this is with thomson not sure what other airlines charge.
as for meals onboard when supplied are these not included in the ticket price? or if charged extra for the operator should be footing the bill anyway not passengers, it is the operator that charge mega prices for small drinks, crisps sweets.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.