Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
IF it does I won't be going on holiday very often by plane :rofl

signed a 19 stone,6' 4" passenger!!
Fiona wrote:
So if the Norwegian professor gets his way it could be pay as you weigh and scales at the check in.
Read it here.
Does anyone think this will ever get off the ground?(no pun intended :D )

I wish they would. I'd be quids in :clap I could go away more often :D

It will never happen IMO :(
i doubt it will happen, although it does seem a fairer way, i would be well into pocket also.
i once had to endure a 4 hour plus flight sat next to a very overweight person who could not fit into their own seat space, i was 1 kilo overweight with baggage and got charged for it
It will never happen IMO

I reckon it has already started in the USA. And what happens there usually finds its way over here.
United and Southwest airlines already do charge very large people for two seats.
Even Air France is starting to do it and Quantas are considering it.
(any bets that RyanAir will start it first here? :rofl )
I am sure when this was mentioned on the old HT a few years ago someone replied that it was already in practise although I cant remember what country.
In 2006 a man was refused boarding at Teeside airport because of his extreme size.This was just after we had been on an XL flight to Dalaman and were seated next to an extremely large young man.
He created such a fuss saying he couldnt sit in his allocated seat and several passengers were shuffled around so he could have a whole 3 seats to himself.His female companion also got 3 seats and they had the nerve to complain when the man in front of him reclined his seat as he was on permanent oxygen.
XL were very patient with this couple and if they had chose Thomas Cook they would have been left at the airport as this was the airline at Teeside who refused a passenger.
I think it's a wonderful idea and already came up with my own way to implement it in June last year.
Just create an Optimum Weight, then charge more or less accordingly.
See my blog post here: http://wp.me/p1uja5-1Az
ukbill wrote:
It will never happen IMO

I reckon it has already started in the USA. And what happens there usually finds its way over here.
United and Southwest airlines already do charge very large people for two seats.
Even Air France is starting to do it and Quantas are considering it.
(any bets that RyanAir will start it first here? :rofl )

Some UK airlines charge if very large people need two seats, (Thomas Cook do) but that is different to charging by weight.
Personally I’ve seen passengers at checkin frantically donning extra layers of clothing pulled from their overweight cases in order to comply with the luggage weight limits and so avoid extra charges. But this would cause those poor folk more problems – where on earth will they dump the extra weight in future?
Also – it would destroy the business of that company which makes the “RyanAir Coats” – the ones with dozens of pockets so that you can carry a whole 10Kg of luggage on your person and avoid all luggage charges!
;)
ukbill - I've seen those coats and quite frankly, I wouldn't be seen dead in one! They're the ugliest things going.

Although, that horrible quilted long duvet that I keep seeing Gail Tyldesley/Platt/Hillman wandering around Coronation Street in comes a close second. :tongue
i wear my fishing waistcoat to carry all i need for the journey when flying Ryan air so i don't have to get up and down for my flight bag, but we too have been stuck with the chronic obese passenger on occasions, one i expressed my displeasure to as he had lifted the arm rest and took up half my seat [lucky we were moved to a wing exit seat that was on Ryan air ]
cyprus100 wrote:
ukbill - I've seen those coats and quite frankly, I wouldn't be seen dead in one! They're the ugliest things going.

Although, that horrible quilted long duvet that I keep seeing Gail Tyldesley/Platt/Hillman wandering around Coronation Street in comes a close second. :tongue

Her maiden name was Potter. So it's Potter/Tyldesley/Platt/Hillman and counting.

How heavy does one have to be before having to pay more?
Not that I am old enough to remember, but when passenger flights first came in (20s, I'm thinking?) passengers were weighed along with their luggage before boarding - but I think that was to calculate fuel needs rather than charging for excess weight!
When do they charge you for your flight? Sometimes you book flights months and months ahead. Who is to say that even if you did tell the truth about your weight when you book the flight, that you don't put on weight? Do you get a refund if you lose weight?
What is overweight? If you are 6 foot 5 - are you just going to be overweight anyway?
Would it impact on what you did on holiday? Could this be the end of AI? :D
If they checked every ones BMI they would know exactly who was overweight. :tup
Jay Trip wrote:
If they checked every ones BMI they would know exactly who was overweight. :tup

..being serious for a moment on this one....Human Rights Act anyone??? :que
Human Rights Act anyone??? :que

Yep agreed.... My right to occupy in comfort the whole seat i paid for
There are two separate arguments here - weight & overall size/width - weight affects the performance of the aircraft,size/width affects the comfort of fellow customers.
As Fiona suggested earlier the vast majority of people over 6'3" would be "overweight" on an average basis and as far as I'm aware BMI has been discredited as a measure for people over 6' (& remember muscle weighs more than fat!)
I'm 6'4" and 19st+ but don't impinge on the next seat or need an extension seat belt. However I've sat next to much shorter people who have flowed over on to the next seat and needed the extra length of belt ...but probably weighed less than me!
Maybe they should have a special seat at checkin - along the lines of the basket to see if your hand luggage is within size. If you dont fit in the seat you need to buy another ? LOL
denny.53 wrote:
Maybe they should have a special seat at checkin - along the lines of the basket to see if your hand luggage is within size. If you dont fit in the seat you need to buy another ? LOL

...can you imagine that with night before check in? Straight off to the nearest Turkish baths for the night to squeeeze into the seat the following morning! :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.