Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
I would double check and make sure that the apartment you are renting is in a block with a touristico licence.
The people who manage the apartments where we were due to stay are having to tell people due to go ou this Sunday that their booking is cancelled.

For me I have enquired and can change our flights (at a cost) and I think that the Canarian Government are cutting their noses of to spite their faces, Yes, I agree owners should pay some tax to the Canaries but maybe they should have come up with a better way of sorting the situation. Not everyone wants to stay in a hotel and by cutting off such a large amount of holidaymakers the tourist industry will suffer.

I have decided now that I am not going to risk it again and will take our pounds to another country that welcomes our money.
I don't think that the situation is quite so simple as you seem to assume. My understanding was that they are not cracking down on holiday lets as such but the holiday letting of apartments which were built and registered for long term residential purposes.. The problem is not just about whether the owners are paying tax locally on the letting income but the fact that neighbours in the same development who are permanent residents are getting upset at having neighbouring apartments that they thought would also be occupied on a long term basis are now being used as holiday rentals instead. This is about the illegal short term letting of long term residential developments.

I do have some sympathy with them, I live in a small seaside town in Scotland which is very popular with visitors and especially mainly male groups of golfers and we were horrified when we thought that a neighbouring cottage was being bought as an investment by someone intending to use it for holiday lets because someone on holiday tends to use the property in a different way to long term residents. There have been major problems in 3 new apartment developments down on the seafront where some have been bought by people intending to live in them as their permanent residence and others have bought them to let out as holiday lets. There are constant complaints about visitors sitting out on their balconies drinking and talking into the wee small hours, playing music etc which is what many of us like to do while on holiday but gets very wearing if you have to be up early the following morning in order to go to work. Even worse if you have kids that need to get their sleep if they are not to get crotchety at school the following day.

SM
First of all what dates are you looking at in March, how many people and what area? It is not correct that it is a new law, the law came in in 1995 but its just that the Canarian tourist board are now deciding to apply the law, nothing to do with tax incidentally, all to do with pressure from Ashhotel who represent the hotels in Tenerife and who want people to use their hotels rather than using perfectly adequate private accommodation.
Which complex were you booked in with?
It seems odd that your booking has been cancelled now - problems have been going on for the past 18 months so it isn't exactly new. More info would be helpful.
I am aware of several different reasons for the government cracking down but according to management of the apartment we were renting was that the owner was not aware and having found out has withdrawn their property from the market. We were staying in Terrazas Del Duque from 30th March for two weeks.

I totally sympathise with the locals but I thought that the above were holiday apartments, I also read that part of the crackdown was that the apartments had to be managed by a local company so thought we were okay here. We chose Tenerife for the weather as we wanted to go at Easter, have decided not to take the risk now and have been put off Tenerife or any Spanish country and we will be going elsewhere in the summer. Nathalie who manages the apartment told me she was having to tell people who were due to fly out last Sunday. Just wasn't prepared to take the chance that may happen to us.
I'm surprised that the company who managed this letting on behalf of the owner were not aware of the relevant legislation and whether it did or did not apply to the apartment. It makes you wonder just how competent they are to do the job and what other legislation they are not aware of?

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.