General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Four of my friends and I are only 15, but we are looking into holiday destinations as our parents have agreed at 17 year old

This isn't a lecture, but just a friendly comment that the world changes, and that in two years, places that might be suggested now might have changed by then and other possibilities might have come up!

Even though your parents are prepared to give you freedom to holiday alone at 17, you might find that tour operators will require one of you to be 18 to sign the booking form.

However, what about Hernosissos in Crete or Sunny Beach or Golden Sands in Bulgaria?
Turkey would also be an option - possibly Marmaris? You say you want good weather but we need to know what month you're thinking of before we can advise on this. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice on a destination over the coming months.
Thanks Alsacienne! We'll keep that in mind, we're going to write down all destinations mentioned, research and keep considering them until we decide to book.

Also Shirley H, we were considering Marmaris as I normally go to Altinkum and my other friend is in Marmaris regulary so we have knowledge of Turkey, friends across there and we can speak basic Turkish.

The first place we thought of was Altinkum because I have been going there since I was 3 and it's about one step down from Marmaris in the terms of nightlife etc. but after returning to Altinkum last September my family and I found it's getting worse instead of better so that was a big no from now on.

Anymore suggestions just tell us please! :)
Due to current exchange rates ALL European destinations are a little dearer than the last few years, but the Spanish costas can still work out very cheap in comparison to other areas, from the safety point of view i would suggest somewhere in Greece, from the cultural aspect then Greece/Italy/and Aegean Turkish areas spring to mind,almost all Mediterranean destinations can offer resorts where you can find both tranquility in the day with a little zest in the evenings, as for weather that will depend more on time of year and what you personally consider good [temps/humidity etc].

not a lecture just a reminder..

budget for your travel insurance, remembering that with insurance you get what you pay for, many will not include cover for para-gliding,jet-skies,diving or other considered dangerous sport, and most will not cover you if you have an accident after more than a couple of drinks, this should be purchased on the same day you book the holiday [just in-case the TO goes bust]

this site is crammed with information which may assist you and your friends, Please take time to look at all the forums and the other sections [see blue banner near top of each page] such as hotel and resort reports,holiday tools and others

Yasus
wizard
!5 year olds who WANT foreign culture, can speak some foreign language and are prepared to save for 2 years? We're going to have to look after you , you must be a unique group!!

As well as resort suggestions it would be good for you if you spent some time browsing the threads on this site about teenage group booking problems, especially when someone drops out late. If you get wise to the pitfalls it could make life simpler and more relaxing.

And I agree with Wizard, definately read up on insurance problems - although the companies come up with new restrictions and ways not to pay out every year so by the time you go things will probably have changed (and not for the better).
Gumbet would be another Turkish resort to look at and would tick all your boxes.
Thanks for all the info Wizard! I'll keep that in mind when booking, I've looked at nearly all the forums so far and it's helped. So thank you :smile:

Steve8482 haha thanks I'll take that as a compliment! My friend and I went to Turkey from about age 3 and picked up the basics quickly so tht's how we know it. I already have a decent amount put away as do my friends, we are looking for jobs at the momment and we are going to be getting EMA (education maintenance allowance) from the government soon. Hopefully saving shouldn't be too hard giving what I mentioned. :lol:
Like I said to Wizard we will take on all advice fully and make sure we check everything out nearer the time.

Oh I never thought of Gumbet! Thank you Lynwestie! Gumbets now on the list.

So far:
"¢ Marmaris, Turkey
"¢ Gumbet, Turkey
"¢ Hersonissos, Crete
"¢ Sunny Beach, Bulgaria
"¢ Golden Sands, Bulgaria
"¢ Greece

Anymore?

Edited to fix spelling.

ETA: We are going on holiday next year with our School to Italy (by coach and ferries etc). I know that will be different than what it would be like if we went on a leisure holiday there but we will see what Italy is like and if it seems good we'll consider it then.
I meant to mention before we'd be looking to go about mid-June time if possible or between the end-of-August and mid-September.

Those months seem best just to avoid the mass of heat there is in July and the start of August but still have okay weather in most places.
Hi MorganCee, if you're planning on those months not only should you get good weather , but also good prices as they're out of school holiday times :tup
I'm not sure which places to suggest and i think you will have a pretty good idea yourselves of what will be suitable, i also think that having gone abroad (with family) before a few times prepares you well for going your own way, you're certainly a lot more clued up and wiser about things than when i was your age! unfortunately the internet wasn't around then!
My first time abroad with my mate was brilliant , except that we'd spent all our money by day 4 :glynis , so the only advice i'm going to give you is, enjoy looking for your holiday, get really excited about it, and have a fantastic time, and finally be good friends in all of it.
Thank you Andy! And thanks to everyone else who has replied :)
You sound very sensible to me so no lecture here!

I would say Turkey but not Marmaris, Gumbet would probably be better for a group of young girls, it is smaller and more friendly.
Hi MorganCee

No lecture from me either. Just one thing to bear in mind. What you are looking for in a holiday at the age of 15 might be somewhat different to what you want when you are 17.
I think Stalis might be an option aswell. Its lively but not over the top and you've got Malia next door if you fancy a livelier night. Hersonnissos (as already mentioned) is next to Stalis in the opposite direction so basing yourself in Stalis would give you the option of the 3 resorts. Stalis has got a nice beach aswell and a lot of good restaurants many with set menu meal deals so good if you're money is running out towards the end of your holiday!

Ayia Napa would also be suitable if you could get a good deal in your price range. You can have as quiet or as lively a night as you want there and the beaches are the best in Europe for me. A lot of people see Ayia Napa as a very lively clubbing resort but whilst the centre is very much like that theres a lot of places away from the centre that are much more relaxed. I've been 5 times from the age of 18 to 34 and its still my favourite holiday resort.

Good luck wherever you pick!
Another vote here for Gumbet rather than Marmaris - it's a smaller resort and more friendly but still has all the nightlife you need. It might be worth looking at booking your flights separately and then looking to book a small and friendly hotel through, for example, Travel Republic. And remember, the earlier you book your flight the cheaper it is. Gumbet also has a shorter transfer time from the airport than Marmaris so that's another plus.

No lectures from me - my daughter went abroad without me when she was 17 and had a great time.

If you do decide on Gumbet, come back to the forum and we can advise on a cheaper hotel which is clean and perfect for using as a base.

JAK xx
Hi Morgan, firstly, I hope my daughter is as sensible and level headed as you at 15 !! ( she's 9 )
I think you have had some great suggestions here already, just thought I would add tenerife to your list. Great island, has some really nice upmarket bars and restraunts nowadays, ( yes, their is still a small area to avoid in playa de las americas ! ) but they have tried to appeal to the more discerining traveller now in this resort, I had some of my best holidays here, both as a young 'un and an old 'un !! ( well, 43 !! will be old to you !!)
Also portugal, some lovely resorts there, short flying time from uk, and great beaches.
Actually, while I'm on a roll, why not try mainland spain ? costa del sol is lovely, we went to los boliches, fuengirola, coupla years ago, nice and spanish still, lots of young people having a good time and fab beaches, bars and restraunts, especially tapas.
hope you can narrow it down, its never easy getting it right to suit all of you ! :tup
I was in ayia napa in may 09 and also may 08 and we couldn't believe how much quieter it was in may 09. We took our children both years and even they said it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.