Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Catherine

Children have to be 10 years old to do the bridgewalk. Your son might like the Aquarium on Darling Harbour, I enjoyed a couple of hours there and Taronga Zoo is well worth a visit, you can get a ferry across the harbour right to the Zoo entrance. There are a few wildlife parks in the Sydney suburbs where you can pet the Koalas and feed the kangaroos.
When you are in Brisbane there's always Steve Irwins Australia Zoo which isn't too far from the city.

Judith
Hi Catherine

The bridge climb you have to be 10 years old I will give you there web site
http://www.bridgeclimb.com.au
The other way to see the harbour is a ferry ride (the cheapest ) or a helicoptor or sea plane
Whitehaven Beach I will give you a other web sit of the area http://www.whitsundaytourism.com
To do the trip you have planed is possible there is not much to see from Mackay to Rockhamton we fink nothing of driving 300 to 400 KLS in a day down here
If you want more info just ask I will be here to the end of this month then away for 6 weeks with no internet can answer when i get back
Chubby
Thank you both of you for your replies. Oh well, that puts the bridge walk out then :cry Unless of course one of us was to do it on our own, but I don't think that'll be happening, lol.

Have done the aquariums to death here Judith, but I think Cameron would love to pet a Koala bear, so I'll look into the further.

Thanks Chubby for your advice, I will no doubt be back to you with LOADS of questions, lol.

Does anyone know when I am likely to start to be able to get flights prices, or indeed who might be best to use. I was thinking maybe trailfinders? I realise I'll need to book as soon as they come out with it being over the xmas period.

Thanks again

C xxx
Flight prices come out about 11 months in advance. I believe Trailfinders are pretty good. If you are going to book the whole holiday through a travel company you can always ask them to start helping you plan itinerarys more than a year ahead and then add the flights when they become available.
Thanks Judith,

Lol I've just remembered my next door neighbour arranges long haul international travel :duh Albeit its usually for business customers but I'm sure she'd help me out. Don't know why I didn't think of that before! :que

I'm quite used to arranging diy holidays, but this just seems a bit daunting cos its so far away. Does that sound stupid? :think
No it doesn't. I usually go DIY but on my last trip to Oz we kept adding more and more places/tours and flights to the holiday and it was getting a bit OTT so finally we worked out a very rough itinerary and took it to a travel firm who then did most of the booking and incidently came up with some more ideas and tips.
If I were you I would book your flights as soon as possible. Emirates out of Glasgow are great as they are out of Manchester.
I booked my Singapore Airlines flights to Auckland with Trailfinders. I have found them to be efficient and reliable.
I am doing a 2 night stopover in Singapore and have booked the Singapore Airlines stopover package. Booked the Ritz Carlton Hotel so have pushed the boat out a bit. Why Not!!

Look forward to the trip as you make your plans in the months ahead. I would agree that a boat trip is a good way of seeing the Sydney Harbour or even taking a ferry ride.

Good luck

Sue
Thanks very much Keela, I don't think emirates release their prices until 11 months before as I've been checking the website and spoke to the girl next door and she agreed 11 months.

I think I'll be able to stay with my friend in Singapore, hopefully she'll have her own house by then (they're in serviced accommodation at the moment) and then I'll also have my own tour guide, lol.

Been trying to work out a way of ending up in Sydney for New years eve, and possible taking in the sunshine coast too, but I think I'm try to do too much. It would mean doing something like flying into Sydney, domestic flight up to Mackay/Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands. Back down to Brisbane via Sunshine Coast, then down to Sydney via Gold Coast or back up to Brisbane to fly to Singapore. I think it might be a wee bit too adventurous though. We have say two full weeks of driving about though and its only 900 miles lol.

Feel free anyone to suggest a typical itinerary lol.

C xxx
I'd recommend a stop in Tin Can Bay to feed the dolphins (7.30 - 8.30 daily, and free). Caloundra for a flight round the Sunshine Coast and a trip to Australia Zoo - (a good full day for that), a good couple of days in Brisbane - get on the ferry at Bretts Wharfe and go all the way to the last but one stop, (there's a lovely pub at the top of the ramp).
Sydney via the Gold Coast (which is far more built up than the Sunshine Coast) and as long as you can in Sydney.

We were pushed with 4 weeks hols to see all we did, but breaks on the Barrier Reef and Fraser Island took up 2 weeks.

:tup :tup
Hi Guys,

Just to say thanks for all your help. We have come full circle now and have actually ended up booking Florida for Oct 09. Staying in one of the Disney Hotels. Australia was just looking to expensive to do at xmas. So Florida here we come..........

Thanks again xxx
Never mind another time! You would really enjoy a holiday in Aussie but it is a vast country and if you want to travel further afield it all adds up.
Often however you will be able to get free flights within the country from say Qantas. Some years ago I did this flying to Singapore then on to Perth 10 days there across to Sydney and then up to Brisband. Flew home from there and all these flight were included in the prices. 2 Free flight within Australia. This was in April some years ago and we only paid £675 for all the flights.

Sue
I think because we wanted to go at xmas it was adding the price up. Will maybe go in 2010 and do it in October, but it means taking our wee guy out of school for a week plus I would rather do 3 weeks as there is so much I want to do, hence preferring xmas. But unfortunately its not to be.

Thanks again!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.