EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
I can't comment on them but have used Interchange a few times and the whole process is very easy. I would imagine you would find the same. You will set a contract initially with them but this is straightforward and any queries are quickly answered. Once you have done that, the next time you want to make a transaction it can take less than 10 minutes to set up! :D
Hi Sheila,

My in-laws have used HIFX a few times when buying properties in Spain. Everything was done over the 'net, and therefore given that the in-laws are limited 'techies' I did most of the work for them. The simple answer is yes- HIFX are good, and everything went well. They keep you up to date on line via contract number, and you can chjeck the status of the transfer etc. To be honest the only problem we had was with the banks over here and transferring the funds to HIFX.

HTH,

Mike
To be honest I would use your uk debit card whenever you need cash in Spain. Although you can get a fixed rate from all of the currency brokers, remember that the euro / sterling rate is not fixed so you are gambling whether you have a good deal or not, depending on when you need the money
I have just come back from a month there and did use my cash card.The problem was the charges for using it?Is there a way of using a cash card without charges????
Hi Shelia M

Open a Natiowide account you can use the debit card anywhere in the world free of charge, you do not have to have a regular amount of money put into the account, we have used ours in Goa, Prague, France, Turkey and Spain so far with no problems and no charges, exchange rate has always been good as well
I have used HIFX since 2005 when we moved over here. I am sure other companies are good as well, but we have found HIFX to be excellent.

Very good rates, very friendly and helpful, and efficient.

Alan
We also used HIFXwhen buying our property on the Algarve Portugal 4 years ago and have transferred money many times since into our Portuguese bank account without any problems. Cheers Jayjan

I have just come back from a month there and did use my cash card.The problem was the charges for using it?Is there a way of using a cash card without charges????
I would pop into the Nationwide or Halifax and ask them because I seem to remember if you have and account with them and you draw cash from another countries ATM you do not pay any charges.

With regard to HIFIX they are very good and I would recommend then to anybody and as 1 poster said it can all be monitored on the internet if you set up an account with them and have money pain into a foreign account say every month then you will get an email notification when it has taken place. The rate would of course be a little lower than the normal inter bank rate you would get if you were to send a large amount of money to another country so is it a little bit of swings and roundabouts.

If you are going to transfer a large amount of money in one go the you should also look at Currencies Direct and play one of against the other to get the best exchange rate, don't let either of the push you around and never go for the first quote the give you always say can you do a little better please and quite often they will.
We used them when we first bought in spain,it was a very good rate at the time,it saves time when you need money over therein the spanish bank while you are changing things over.
forgot to mention we paid nothing for the transfer either :lol:
Hi

We have the Nationwide flex account which we always use when on holiday, brilliant - no charges and good exchange rates.
We have also opened a £ account with Banca March in London who in turn have opened a € account for us in Tenerife. Any money transfered between the two accounts is done by one phone call, there are no charges and very good exchange rates. The more money you transfer the better the rate.
Thanks so much for your help.I have received a form to fill in from HIFX and also have an appointment with my bank on Monday.Am also seeing Nationwide!.These Forums are great!!??So much experience at hand!!
When buying our place here in France, we used Worldwide Currencies. They are allied to Barclays, so have quite alot of 'buying power'. They beat all others by quite a mark!
HIFIX are very efficiant abd I have had no problems when I have used them, they offer a discounted fee for regular users instead of paying £12 per transaction they will charge £5. You can also ask them to hold the rate for you for a couple of months ensuring that you money is getting the best value.
You are best talking to them on the phone and they will advise you on the best options then you can compare these to what other companies have to offer. Hope this helps
chen
HIFIX are very efficiant abd I have had no problems when I have used them, they offer a discounted fee for regular users instead of paying £12 per transaction they will charge £5.

Sorry to disagree with you but you should not be paying any fee at all I have money sent over every month as well as lump sums and never been charged a fee yet even in the Spanish back charge a fee to receive you money just let HIFIX know and they will repay you the fee.

Please see this link
Have to agree - never paid any fees when having money transferred.
Even if you are sending money on a regular basis, but not as regular as monthly? Are you doing thjis with HIFX/
Have sent money quite a few times and not been charged.

A1gjv states that s/he sends on a regular basis and is not charged.

Get in touch with them and query their charges
Thanks for all your replies.I have now signed up with them and have been assured several times that there are NO charges!Must be a mistake somewhere?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.