Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
If you think you can fit it in the suitcase there's this one:- http://www.solutionsworld.co.uk/Toilet-Seat-Riser/Product1_20054_-1_32123_11552

Am not sure if places would rent these :think
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2013-03-29 20:30:18
    Edit to change link as found better one.
Thinking about it Pippa it might be best if your mam gets one of the above & put it in a plastic bag in your hand luggage as it'll come in handy for the airport/airplane toilet & in resort?
I have been trying to find some info and so far all I can get is this company who have a shop in Birkirkara, this is a bit away from Qawra however they might be able to deliver, I think perhaps you might have to purchase it not sure if they rent however I would email and ask as they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Links on the left and shop info at top of page http://www.europharma.com.mt/content/welcome-europharma-ltd
Here is another

http://www.unicare.com.mt/

There are several Chemist / Pharmacies in the Bugibba, Qawra, St Pauls area I wonder if they are able to supply them?

Found a Facebook page for some so once again it might be woth asking them on there even if they cant supply one they might be able to help.

https://www.facebook.com/stsimonpharmacy

http://www.facebook.com/promenadepharmacy
Thank you everyone - will look into the suggestions.

She only had the op last night so early days yet. She is due to fly on 7th May which is just under 6 weeks from the op. Originally her consultant didn't seem to think it would be a problem and neither the tour operator or her insurance company have a problem but we need to see how she gets on over the next week.

Mum has lots of friends in Malta so they may be able to help with any aids she needs too.

Pippa
The physiotherapist /occupational therapists will be involved before discharge - the social services should supply a raised toilet seat for her....for her home.

If all else fails, you can take it in the suitcase and whilst they are bulky, they weigh next to nothing and you can pack around it, but you may find that she won't need it by 6 weeks post op.

They're not hard to remove/fix, most of them clip under the rim of the outer basin and most toilets are European standard size these days, but I think they can differ a smidgen in height from the floor.
Well, I'm saying that because the last hotel I stay in, in Spain, I thought the toilet was a tad lower than my own.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to your ma.

Sanji
She already has toilet seat raisers in her home but the ones that come fixed to a frame.

I think we'll see how she gets on over the next week - certainly yesterday she was walking pretty well considering it was less than 24 hours since the op. The chronic pain that she had has almost gone too. With a hip replacement op you are not supposed to twist or bend beyond a 90 degree angle for up to 12 weeks.

We also need to heed the advice from her consultant and GP as to whether she should fly so soon after the op - she is 88 after all and travelling on her own!

Thanks everyone
Pippa
Pippa wrote:

We also need to heed the advice from her consultant and GP as to whether she should fly so soon after the op - she is 88 after all and travelling on her own!

Thanks everyone
Pippa

Wow your mam's done remarkably well for 88 to be up and about so soon. I didn't realise she'd be travelling on her own so maybe my advice re taking the portable toilet seat may be more hassle than it's worth for your mam.

I hope she is able to go on her holiday, she deserves it and is a trouper :tup
We're thinking and mum is also that it may be best to postpone her trip until September/October. She will then be fully mobile and able to get about the island on the buses and visit all the places that she loves.

Chevron are very good and although we will have to pay an amendment charge it will be worth it.

My mum is a very determined person with a positive attitude. Because she has gone private for the op it has all happened rather quickly - just 2 weeks from her first appointment to the operation!

She has a short holiday in the UK to look forward to in July so that will tie her over!

Pippa
I think you've all made the right decision Pippa, I can rest now also as was worried about her travelling by herself so soon after her op.

Wish her well and a very speedy recovery :tup
Just to add that mum is now home - less than 3 days after the op. Consultant so pleased with her progress.

She's happy in her own home and has all the mobility aids she needs including a stair lift and alarm.

Thank you everyone for your good wishes.

Pippa
Thanks for letting us know Pippa & wish her well from us all at HT :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.