Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
why an ai holiday?
when its so cheap to eat and drink out
you need 3star or above where to go
what do you want peace and quiet or partys?
Hi Laney, The biggest 2 resorts are Sunny Beach and Golden Sands. Full of clubs , bars, restaurants and nice beaches.
SB is a very flat resort whereas GS in quite hilly in parts. Albena is a bit quieter but gets very good reports from people on this site.

Quite a few people go AI and end up in Elenite, near SB, but I personally wouldn't recommend AI in Bulgaria unless you have children due to the fact that food in restaurants is very cheap and you have everything from local to Indian,Chinese,Mexican down to the good old McDonalds. Beer etc is also very cheap at just over 50p a pint. Far better to go either B&B or half board. ( Most people end up paying HB but eat out quite a lot as food in hotels can be quite so,so.)

8) Toonman
I agree with toonman 100%. The food in many hotels is not a patch on most restaurants, and the service can be lousy in AI bars.

Peter
Hi, if you book AI you will be dissapointed the pre-paid food in the Hotels is repetative you get a change now & then usually a PIGS LUNG or Chiken livers ......the quality & range of food to buy in resturants is great I usually eat Bulgarian dishes when over ( :( I wish I was ) Kavarma is my fav with Game Kavarma being my fav Kavarma.

cheers Stephen
Hi

Just been on the Balkan holidays website and noticed that there isn't much price difference between AI and SC. So ie. If the food is not what expected and we have to eat out, at least you do get the beer included

Thanks
Laney
Hi Laney,

Just make sure any AI you choose is actually in a resort. Some are really out on a limb, unless that's what you want of course.

Peter
Hiya
Thanks for the input everyone

Was looking at goinf to sunny beach, I understand that this is quite popular???

Thanks

laney
  • Edited by trishh6 2008-11-25 01:28:33
Hi Trish

Thanks for the advice, let me know what it is like when you get back. Have a lovely holiday

Laney
Hi, We stayed at the Pelican hotel in duni which is a bit out of the way but there were taxi's to take you out and about. The hotel was excellent and we could not fault the food best we have ever had. There was also a good choice of alcohol including cocktails. The hotel is near to a lovely beach with free sunbeds all activities took place down near the beach and not near the hotel, you could use the facilities of the other hotels in the complex so you didn't need to go back for lunch etc. There is a 5 star hotel located right on the beach which looked lovely but this was more expensive to stay in and the food is the same. Our hotel was very clean and the rooms were spacious. Any questions just ask.
Thanks everyone for the input.

Was thinking of one of the main resorts, more like sunny beach or golden sands but all the reviews I have have read on here, it doesn't look good!!

Anybody travelled with Balkan Holidays, they seem to be the cheapest about, but is that for a reason???

Thanks
Laney
Hi Laney
We stayed in Hrizantema (or Chrisantema) in sunny beach last year.
It cost almost the same as BB which was why we did it. It is much easier with kids who always want drinks and ice creams.
The hotel was superbly clean, the pool great, the staff friendly and helpful.
The food was OK. Great breakfast. As with most hotels it gets a bit repetative. But there was a fish restaurant, pizza restaurant and chicken restaurant attached to the complex. You could use one of these as your all inclusive evening meal, and the pizza one was also open lunchtime. This was a nice change from hotel food.
However we did eat out as well, as everyone says it is cheap to do so.
Hope this is useful.
Hi Laney,

I've travelled three times with Balkan Holidays (once flight only) but I know that Peter of York has travelled with them many times.

Based on my own experience, I found them generally fine on the occasions that I used them, apart from two return flights from Varna to Cardiff being routed via Belfast, due to passengers from the two airports being combined, rather frustrating at the time but no major problem.

Some other posters on the site have nothing good to say about them - which is probably true of many tour operators.

Baldur
We've had over 30 holidays and all but 1 have been with Balkan.

Problems encountered can be counted on one hand.

The aircraft they use may look tatty but they have some of the best pilots.

The aircraft food may not be the best but you don't have to pay extra for it.

My holiday starts when I hear Bulgarian being spoken by the crew.

The best thing about going with Balkan is you don't have to leave your accommodation at lunchtime if you've got a middle of the night or very early morning flight, which is the situation with other operaters.

Patka
hi
we went a/i to sunny beach in july we stayed at the rui helios palace and the food was first class the hotel is right in the middle of s/b
we booked with portland witch we noticed s/c was not much cheaper but if they go in the e.u :( next year will it still be as cheap to eat out :?:
It's difficult to predict the consequences of Bulgaria being admitted to the EU, but I fear it might not be good news re prices, if the experience of other countries such as Spain is anything to go by.

Peter
We stayed A/I at albena beach club (resort Albena) recently (17/08/06), and loved it. The food was excellent, and as the hotel is right on the beach you can go and get drinks easily.

The Hotel is only 10-15 mins walk into town so not isolated and many nice bars on the way you can go to for a change. or walk into town at night for a change of scenery.
Didnt eat out loads as hotel food was fab.

Agree with the point about service at the bar in A/I as the staff were sullen...but hey!
Hope this helps
Forgot to mention...we went with 1st choice to the albena beach club and the holiday worked out to be cheeper with 1st choice than with Balkan.

Balkan however, have a much wider range of accomodation/resorts you can go to.

One lady I spoke to had travelled with Balkan and they had changed her airport from Vana to bourgas, at last minute, so they had a long 2.5 hour transfer to resort. :(
Its a case of shop around to get best deal.
Elenite Holiday Village. Great AI resort, approx 10K from Sunny Beach, taxi's very cheap so easy access to SB. Elenite very relaxing during the day, animation team with evening entertainment. Great for the kids, good food, good clean comfortable accommodation. Plenty to do in resort with a decent choice of bars to keep you going. Been 2 years in a row would definately go back again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.