General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
hold allowance
5 Posts
Hi Merman

I'm pretty sure Thomas cook would happily take your money for the weight increase . We also take diving equipment but because there are 5 of us we can spread the weight more easily.

I know if you book direct with Thomas Cook on the internet you get the option to pay for an increase from 15 to 20 KG but cant remember what the charge is . Who did you book with???.

I wouldnt bother to tell them its diving equipment either if it was cheaper to pay for the normal weight increase as long as it was insured . But if you are carrying more expensive items such as BCDs , regulators or wetsuits I would check where you stand with your travel insurance because the higher £30 charge may include an insurance element :think

lyn
take a look through the thomas cook sirlines thread the answe may be there or ask on that thread where our aviation experts can advise

wiz
I normally fly with First Choice (Thomsonfly) because they've always been quite generous to us divers by giving an extra 10kg of allowance on top of the standard 20kg free of charge. Given the charges that TCX now make, and will strictly charge you £8 per kg if you are over your allowance, it's quite often cheaper to hire equipment in resort now. I know it's not the same as usuing your own equipment, but that's what I tend to do these days as I prefer to take camera equipment than the dive gear. Can't video sharks with my regs!! The problem with not declaring diving equipment in your suitcase is you'll sometimes get called back to check-in to open your suitcase if security aren't sure what something is. That's happened to me once, albeit in Antigua where they hadn't seen a marine video housing before. The larger UK airports have a desk to take suitcases with unusual items such as diving equipment to pre x-ray it before they are sent down to ensure there's nothing that will cause a problem. For example it's desk 73 at Manchester (T2), I've had to visit it a couple of times. You should be ok not declaring in the UK as it's nothing on the restricted list, but might have a problam at your destintion. You can increase your luggage allowance from 15kg to 20kg for £15 per person return so it's just cheap to get the extra 10kg for £30 if you need it.

Darren
thanks darren will try to fly with them in future. i always declare my dive knife so its taken seperately to be x rayed . i also take tshirts etc in my handluggage and buy extra clothes out there usually my dive equip weighs about 17kg . thanks again for info .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.