Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
My Holi 2008.
It all started with a shopping trip to Panjim , not knowing most of the shops would be shut , because of the Holi-day . lassiboy's eagle eye looking for shops that might be open as we drove along , said OOH ! theres a funny procession down that street , so we got the taxi to park up , and went after it . To find Holi revellers watching the Ghodemodni performers , drums beating , flags waving , dancing towards the piles of colours in the park , where a crowd was waiting for the fun to begin, took some photos , and went on to walk around the old Fontainhas area .
Stopped for lime sodas on the balcony at the Panjim Inn , watching gangs of youths in pick-up's and on motor bikes tearing past firing colours at each other , good fun . Continuing on our walk we met a young couple covered in colours , they warned us that the same would happen to us if we went on . I just laughed and said to lassiboy, it won't happen to an old pair like us dressed in good clothes :D
The first group we encountered respected our pleas of " not us please "and were just given the dab on the forehead, this happened another three times. Then our luck ran out , the youngsters on the bikes pelted us with powder bombs , which then made us a target for anyone to bombard us . When we saw ahead of us a large group preparing to greet us with water cannons , Enough was enough , no way back no way forward .
Sat at a bus stop , had a cigi to calm the nerves , mop our sweating pink, orange , and green brows and clean my glasses so I could see . Lassiboy spots a side road uphill saying , if it goes up it must go down back into town . We set off 34c :tongue and steep , along comes a tuk-tuk , franticly tried to wave him down , but he would'nt stop for such bedraggled souls :cry Finally we made the top and head on down, at last meeting fellow victims . Now storm clouds gather and we hear the roll of thunder. Coloured powder and rain don't mix . Around the corner we see the landmark white church, the rain starts
Lassiboy looks at me and says there's no way you can get into the taxi like that " it was a luxury vehicle with beige leather seats " We tried to brush each other off as best we could with one hankie, but it didn't get much off my back . Had another think :think outside a hole in the wall shop selling clothes . Idea from lassiboy, buy a new top anything will do as long as it's easy to get on . Don't haggle just buy, but I say I want something that matches my skirt , boy throws a fit and dissapears down an alley screaming for gods sake woman it's not a designer shop, just get the first shirt you find. Purchase a flowered Hawai shirt for 150Rs and make my way down the alley , which led to a -5* indian boarding house. Where I hide in a stairwell behind the old-boy and quickly remove my blouse and put on the shirt, use it to clean up my hair and face .
Now we are able to head for the hotel Fidalgo, where we cleaned up a bit more , had a cup of tea with some honeybee , and finally saw the funny side of it all and could'nt stop laughing , an experience we will nver forget.
It took days for the old-boy to loose his multi- coloured hair , I wanted to throw the clothes away , but He is a Yorkshire man so brought them home :really , and he was right back home it's all washed out , ready to start again next year

x lassi
Lassi that was brilliant and really made me laugh.
Love your name for your OH, Lassiboy - fantastic!!! :D
Glad you had a laugh Gemma, but believe me at times I was close to tears , next time I will be prepared with my own amunition . By the way it wasn't me who gave my OH the name , it was another member tightjock was the culprit :D
x lassi
Our first time ever to see holi and all I can say is it was such a good laugh ..(...notice the blue bands CLICK ON THE PHOTO ...
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/7498/1001534rr2.th.jpghttp://img353.imageshack.us/img353/8857/1001535zq8.th.jpg
sorry mods I have the 2 photos on up above will one of you please remove this post :whoops sorry
imho :rofl dont talk to me about old clothes this was the state of me in March this year .....it was such great fun I hope we get to see some of holi next march when we are there :rofl think I will wear that same dress again ...colleen
I will definitely recognise you now when you get on the plane :rofl :rofl :rofl
Jettii wrote
I will definitely recognise you now when you get on the plane
jettii I will wash my face that day ... :rofl
Can anyone tell me what date Holi in is on in calangute year please ....colleen
Think its 1st March this year which is a shame, i was hoping to catch it this year coming in march for a change but dont arrive till 4th :(
This link gives you dates of festivals up to 2031 for future reference ;)

Hindu Festivals
Think its 1st March this year

:yikes my birthday!! that should be fun :duh
chilly
You'll be getting a few colourful presents this year then Chilly :D

Maz.....You might be lucky, people seem to celebrate Holi for a few days, not just the one :tup ....but I am sure chilly and friends would always arrange a "splattering" for you if you do miss out :D

Fizz
The big day this year is the 1st March although the festivities will run for about 1 week after.
Thanks Fizz im sure if chilly splatters me in celebration I can always buy her a few belated birthday drinks ;)
ummm :think now that sounds good Maz D nothing would give me more pleasure :rofl
chilly
:rofl
Theres nothing like a good splattering and a few honeybees afterwards to aid the recovery :tup
Fizz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.