General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Having spent a long time looking recently, I think it's probably fair to say that you will struggle to get AI for your budget. We are a family of 4, but the kids will be 10 and 13 and even doing DIY, self catering was about all I was coming up with for that money in the school holidays. Admittedly our eldest often counts as an adult so that doesn't help!! Are you looking at 1 or 2 weeks because that will make a bit of difference?

Try looking at somewhere like Travel Republic. The only way to get costs down is to go somewhere that you can fly to cheaply, as the flights are usually the majority of the total cost. Rhodes and Crete seem to be good for cheap flights, but may be too warm for you in August with the children being so young. Also look at Aldi Travel or Easyjet holidays. If you can work out the cheap flight destinations then you can start looking for accomodation within budget. Medhotels.com are good to look at just for your accomodation, you can see easily where you are getting free child places and they do have a lot, but you have to add the cost of your airfare on top. I think it's Skytours that do guaranteed free child places to certain places as well, so worth giving them a look.

It is a nightmare, school holidays are so pricey. I thought a £3000 budget would go a long way, but it doesn't really. Everything that looks possible, I then check reviews and discount. We don't normally book so late and having a 13 year old makes it even worse!!

Good luck-just means a lots of internet research checking prices. I still haven't chosen anything and I've been at it for weeks! Just a thought but how about doing a self drive to somewhere like the Vendee in France (depending on where you are, not much good from Scotland) Try a company like Vacances Soleil, who are cheaper than eurocamp etc. There are some lovely sites with good pools and a caravan would give you lots of room especially with having the little one. You could even go for the Paris area and do EuroDisney.

Pam :)
I usualy book way in advance i got a a week AI with First Choice to Tunisa going 12th August for a week £1600 two adults and two children 10 and 8, but this was booked last August all prices now even for S/C are through the roof, there are loads of late deals around nearer the time mainly S/C, but you probably won't find an AI or any Holiday aboard for your budget going in August now.
i have also managed to book a week AI at Holiday village viva last week going 26th May in half term week and got that for under £1600, there are not many free child places around now, you get tempted to book early for the popular locationsas soon as the next years summer brochuires come out which is usualy around April time, i have found booking around the previous July/August i get a very good deal.
To get AI for your family you need to look at doing it DIY as per the first post but in holiday time you would need to look at a budget of 2k to 2.2k min. The main savings on DIY for you is you will be able to get 1 family room with a double and 2 singles etc. I have Just priced up a AI in August in Turkey at £1900 flying with thomas cook staying at a 4 star for 2 weeks, but I'm waiting for bigger price drops which I expect to see more of at the end of Feb onwards. I would also hope the £ will recover so accommodation would drop in Euro destinations.

We Have a 15 and a 10 year old and we go in the school hols in August every year, AI for 2 weeks. I target it around the 2k mark but will pay anywhere between £1800 and £2600 depending. Last years was a 5 star in Egypt AI for £2200 from Manchester.

The only way you could do it for £1500 would be like say Malta via easyjet then 3 star AI but I prefer nicer hotels.
You could certainly go Half board or SC for £1500 easily via the methods suggested here. Hope this helps.
Wow wolfie, how did you get that price? I've upped my budget to £4000 and am still struggling to find something that ticks all the boxes. Looked at DIY for one hotel I like the look of but for all the difference in price it's not worth it.
Any tips would be great!

Thanks

If you mean Egypt well so far this year it is dearer on accom I guess because the Russian Gov have stopped subsidising there tourists this year. If you mean Turkey then thats on the 23 July from Man flying with TC (fly thomas cook) and the hotel was via Med hotels "club hotel falcon" £946.76 (using voucher code med summer 10) not checked hotel so could be ropey.But you need to add Transfers/parking BPC voucher codes etc and Insurance about £80?

The flights tonight are up £100 (total) but as Im sure you know they will fluctuate through out the week. Tuesdays always seems to be best day for me.

The Majesty Resort Mirage Park 5 tick looks a good bet though again I have not checked the reviews approx £570 more.

Hope this helps

P.S. I did'nt say it ticked all the boxes, just giving the best decent AI price I had found for family of 4
where do you want to fly from,what date and for how long.i have just checked out travelrepublic who i have been with and on the 5th august for one week flying from birmingham you can go to hotel samoa in callas de mallorca for 1.300 all inclusive not sure what this hotel is like but i have stayed just by it in the hotel america and thats nice. hotel america coming up at 1.600 for same dates transfers not included.if you give more details i will look for you :whoops forgot you also have to add luggage cost to this holiday too depending how much you want to take about 80.00 extra
Thanks Wolfie, think I am going to start looking again at DIY and steer away from packages for the moment. I don't have too many boxes, I just want the kids to at least have a sofa bed not camp beds (£4000 at red sea holiday village and they get camp beds!!) and ideally 2 bedrooms, since as much as I love them, if there are no kids clubs it would be nice to be able to have our own space at some point. Would also like the British contingent to equal the Russian!! So not much really, since I'm not even that fussed about where we go.
thanks again

Well in theory there should be a lot less Russians around in Egypt this year anyway. As until the end of 2008 there holiday makers were heavily subsidised.
We stayed at the old Titanic in Hurghada last year while not a true 5 star in my opinion the rooms and service were excellent really big with separate through connected kids room. There was a kids club but no idea about it as the kids never got a chance/bored to look as they were too busy in the water park! We never saw them!!! Have to say it's one of the most relaxing and fun holidays we have ever had. The only thing that could be improved on was the food and a little quicker at the bars ( sounds like most), it was just OK not bad or cold is was quite nice, but restaurant was busy and well it was just OK, not 5 star food. At the moment that's running about £2800 for 2 weeks in August and the kids don't want to go anywhere else now but there 8-) We would return there though no problem, although I'd like to try the New Titanic as it has 3 Restaurants.

If that's something like you are looking for and you want more info I have photos pros/cons etc then just let me know and I will PM/mail you otherwise sort of hijacking this thread.. But for me if kids are happy I'm happy, and they had there best ever holiday there so far.
I think for anybody waiting for prices to drop on AI this year maybe in for a bit of a shock. The main reason is that, not only have some companies gone bump, even the ones left have cut supply.

Got to get in early, always, to avoid disappointment!
You should of grabbed the £1900 price, the waiting for flight prices to come down is not a good idea, as the plane gets filled up the price goes up. The way the prices have rocked if you didn't book early you have missed the boat.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.