Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
HI,The GAMBIA for me is great and I have a wheelchair,how much more open it can be for able bodied I can only imagine,I never stay in what I refer to as white mans africa, ie SENNIGAMBIA .I use guest houses,however many teenagers seen there,the fishing is good,the scenery tremendous,local are great,many friendly, I have no knowledge of goa so cannot compare,If you are willing to use only tourist areas it is expensive relative to costs and wages paid(average waiter maid security wages are 14 -20 pounds a month) taxis are a rip off for distances taken. tourists taxis are the worst and dont assume the driver has sat a test many have not,of this I have personal knowledge to his cost,Why not take a chance and go its a beautiful winter break,cheers maxie
I have been to The Gambia and to Goa and much preferred Goa to be honest. (I stay in South Goa which might make a difference). I also travel with teenage children.

Positives

I do think Gambia makes a great winter sun destination and is of course only 6 hours flying time due south which is brilliant. I also found plenty to do in The Gambia and for a first time visitors there are a wealth of trips you 'need' to do.

Negatives

Generally I found The Gambia more expensive than Goa particularly in the tourist areas. The hassle (bumsters) in The Gambia was much worse than anything I have encountered in Goa and can be quite intimidating. And the begging much much sadder - many, many beggers with birth defects and bare bottomed toddlers in t shirts chasing your car,coach, bus, taxi with their hands out whilst literally running in gutters full of efluence (sp?).

I found both Goa and Egypt very easy by comparison.

A possibly relevant point is that The Gambia was the first 'third world' country I visited and that is maybe why the culture shock was so great as I know other people who feel like about Goa or Egypt what I feel about The Gambia because one of those was their first.

Sorry if what I have written isn't the answer you might have hoped for - it would be great if others with experience gave you their views (I would also be interested in how they compare to mine).

Maddi
me and partner have just returned last night from a 2 week stay in kololi,and have had a brill time ( it was our first time ) yes you do get a bit of hassle off bumpsters but its how you handle and deal with it. we found by being honest and telling them that we didnt want to buy they were then happy just to talk and learn about where you were from. we had them laughing all the time and there smiles are so wonderful. yes its sad seeing small tots and kiddies with barely no clothes on and running amongst piles of rubbish but you have not to let it get to you otherwise you will never leave your hotel and therefore will miss so much.we got the hotel taxi guy to take us out and about to cheaper food markets, and to see some local places(dont use tour reps they are a complete rip off without a doubt) the prices on the strip for meals were we were told a bit more expensive then in previous years) we got 49 dalasi to the pound in the hotel, and if anybody asks if i would do it all again i would have to say a resounding yes with out a doubt !!! we absolutley loved it.
Great response Steve and Lindy - I enjoyed reading your report.

Have to admit though I would still love to hear from other people who have been to both - at the momeent I feel tempted to say that of you like The Gambia you will love Goa.

The Gambia still feels like a great holiday whilst Goa was awesome.

Love to hear more - anyone out there?

Maddi
HI,STEVE AN LINDY.Gald you have similar to experiences to me in Gambia,we can only help african problems by buying in african shops cafes,even street sellers,I dont class these as bumsters,they are attempting to work,THE ALL OUT BUMSTER is the guy who offers to help,as he knows you ,your hotel. he is a guide ,he knows someone who can help you get you things.To that kind of man we are FRESH MEAT a term gambian bumsters actually use for white untanned tourists.these people I have nothing but contempt for,thankfully there are not too many in kololi proper and are kept fairly well off the beaches.It is the hotels who enjoy having them hang around outside,WHY because you stay in and spend your dalasis at extorniate well inflated european prices.SO maybe THE HOTELS are the real BUMSTERS cheers maxie, :D :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.