Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
hotel don juan
23 Posts
We've rebooked for the Don Juan , having stayed there twice before - flying out on the 23rd of October (half term week).

While there is litterally two sides to every story, I could mention the cold sprout salad served one evening or the vandalism in our room last July when we checked in ( rapidly repaired and solved by reception ) or I could mention the excellent location, the slushes that the outdoor bar sells ( that my daughter says I must mention) the hotel run kids activities -shoeback?, pool games and quizes etc.

While the hotel isn't four stars, the meals were hot and cooked , breakfast included bacon and proper fruit juice and the cakes after dinners were amazing.

We only booked a fortnight ago having read all the writeups on this and other sites but having just had a bad experience in Bulgaria when others had praised the hotel it illustrates that everyone looks for different things from a holiday.

The second time we stayed at the Don Juan in October, the hotel was full of senior Irish citizens which made a change from the young livelier contingent of the summer months.

Every hotel seems to report breakins - we make sure that we have insurance and pay the euro a day safety deposit box charge for reassurance.

Good look with whatever you decide.... 7 weeks to the Don Juan and 11& 1/2 months to the Majorca Beach next year!

Regards

Craine
I stayed there in July 2003 with my partner and her 9yr old grandaughter (a late deal).

It's very close to Pirates and the waterpark. About 5-10 minutes walk to the beach and Magaluf centre.

The hotel is basic but adequate. It depends on the time of year, in the high season it's full of 18-30 groups so it can be noisy.

There is no air con and the rooms are a bit stuffy.

Security is the same as any other hotel of it's type. There is a small safe in the room. As anywhere, you must be careful.

The food is passable if you like chips with everything. Not much choice for kids. The breakfast was always good.

The kids entertainment is repetative and the kids get bored with it. The taped music entertainment in the daytime (poolside) is the same each day (I think they only had one tape).

The karaoke is a scream (and a little embarrassing).

WARNING! Health & Safety is poor.

There were broken tiles in the kids swimming pool. A lamp was floating free in the adults pool. A small ramp between the conservatory and the pool area claimed a few people (not looking and fell over it).
Watch out for loose balcony guard. In our room the perspex guard was too small for the brackets and you could easily push the guard away.

If you hire a car DO NOT park it under the balconies at the front of the hotel. It will get rained on by vomit and urine.

We had a great holiday in Magaluf but the Don Juan was a little disappointing.

It's what you make of it. :lol:
I stayed there in October 2002.
I didn't find any problem with security. All of our personal belongings were in the safety deposit box.
Unfortunately our room was half the size of other peoples so you had to climb over the beds to get to the balcony. If you would like to sit on the balcony with the table inbetween you both, we had to climb over the table.
When we went into the bathroom we had to climb into the bath so we could close the door.
One day round the pool I got stuck in the toilet cubicle for 3/4 hour.
Although I wouldn't go back there again (because of personal bad experiance) other people have had a great holiday.
hiya, has anyone stayed in the donjuan??? if so please reply im staying there in july any good !
  • Edited by welshnat 2005-02-07 21:34:12
Please refrain from posting in phone text style or your posts may be deleted. Thanks.
I have stayed there before and wouldn't go back again. We had the samllest room imaginable, you had to climb over the beds to get to the balcony. To close the bathroom door you had to stand in the bath. I think I was just unlucky though.
It is in a good location. From the front it looks very dated but once you go into reception it is lovely. The food is average, nothing special but enough choice to fill you.
Hope you have a good time.
*Post deleted posting in phone text style after being requested not to - Glynis*
I stayed at the Don Juan in 2003. I will not stay there again but I am over 40.

The hotel is nothing special, no air conditioning, average tastless food, the pool area isn't bad. It is a noisy hotel but it is Magaluf. The lifts kept breaking down.

The reps organize pub crawls. It's not far from the beach, next to Pirates and close to the water park. If you are under 25 you will love it.

WARNING: The health and safety standards at the hotel are very low. i.e. loose balcony guards, broken tiles in pool, loose steps/ramps, etc.

Enjoy your holiday, Magaluf is great. Stay away from the scratch card/survey touts. The pub touts are good for a laugh though.

The local bars across from the hotel are very good.

:D :D
:lol: So is the DON JUAN full of young people during july august?? xx
So is the DON JUAN full of young people during july august??

Yes! Drunken, noisy ones. :lol: Don't expect to sleep at night.
Always been a hotel for the 'young & lively' brigade. Used to be called the Americano, then changed its name in 88 to the Don Juan as it didnt have a great reputation - poor food, basic rooms etc - seems things havent changed!
A group of us (20yrs-24yrs) stayed in the Don Juan hotel a couple of years ago. I would not recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing, quiet holiday. but is suitable if you are there for the nightlife.

The rooms are basic, but if its only somewhere to sleep, shower and change then its fine. It's close to the beach and has a nice pool, etc.

I cant comment on the food as we ate out most nights, although there is a 24 hour burger king close by. ha ha.
Hi folks
off to Magaluf in August :D , stoppng at the Don Juan Hotel, anybody got any Info.
I have looked on the Hotel reviews and it isnt featured. I have looked elsewhere on the net and found mixed reviews, but I often visit this site and would appreciate any info good :D or bad :cry: ,

Cheers
Suke
Have added this hotel to our review site. If anyone has stayed here please add your review HERE
Hi Folks
Dos'nt look very good, or not many people know anything about it

Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry:
Hi

We've stayed there three times as a family of six. Location is good as it avoids the noise of the bars but is within walking distance of shops, restaurants & beach.

Hotel has its own Kids Club but it is minimal. The only reason we wouldn't book for August is that the bedrooms do not have air conditioning, but take your own or hire it either from the hotel or a local hire company.

Hotel is two mins from Pirates and about eight mins from Western Water.

Hope that helps...

Jo
just found a great price for this hotel for next summer with med hotels. i was looking through holiday reports though and this hotel has either awful reviews or excellent reviews. so has anyone been there?? it looks like its in a great location

thanks
Having just come back from a disapointing stay at the Majorca Beach (having plumped for this as a change from the Don Juan this year) I am really sorry not to have stayed at the Don Juan.

The location really isn't that much further and the price is so much lower.

On reflection, an we stayed there both in August and October I think the DJ is a good alternative.

Regards

JO
its at a fantastic price but im abit concerned about noise. i will be 20 next summer and i like to party but at nights when i get back i like to have a nice sleep. i would go stir crazy if i couldnt get a good sleep for two weeks. are there any quiter areas of the hotel that i could request
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.