Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
:) hi did you book with first choice we have booked with on the beach
:wave: Janet
Hi janet we booked through first choice and i have been back to the travel agents several times to see what our options was to change to a different hotel having reading lots of bad reviews on holiday watchdog and tripadvisor. Was going to be over £300 for us to change so have decided to stop where we are i am sure everything will be fine hope so anyway. :tup
I went to the hotel in April and was generally disappointed - however this was only really because the only time I've used All Inclusive in the past was in large resorts in the Caribbean, Mauritius etc - so I almost had this distorted view that if it was All Inclusive it would be like those.

We did find ourselves eating out on four of our seven nights simply because the hotel food was quite repetitive, and the entertainment wasn't all that (although the First Choice entertainment team were fantastic), so we generally went out and made a night of it.

My view wouldn't be to necessarily avoid this hotel but to avoid All Inclusive in Tenerife full stop. There are simply too many great restaurants, bars, clubs and entertainment venues outside of the hotel to go All Inclusive. In comparison, I recently spent a week in Cape Verde, where AI is ideal as there is very little outside the complex.

Out of interest, to anybody who has been to the hotel recently, do you know if Jen, Nat and Chloe are still working there?
i have just come back on the 30 aug there was myself and two children 2 and 5 they loved the kids club the eldest went every day the youngest only went a couple of times each week( were there 2 weeks) i had to pay for the youngest 12 euros for 90 min. the kids disco in the evening was great my girls loved it Jen, Nat and Chloe are still working here. i found the staff polite if you were to them, the pool areas could get very messy by the afternoon as they were only tidied in the morning but if people used the bins it would not be half as bad. the food was fine prehaps not 4 star but there was nothing wrong with it, i never used the the extra restaurant which you can do 2 times each week you are there on al but other people said how good the italian was. there is a small shop right next to the hotel but i found if you went out the hotel left and followed the road down there is a small supermarket there and also one on the opposite side of the road by a big red arrow think it said pizza on it both these were a lot cheaper. we had a great time and did not have any probs with leaking pools or thefts. :sun2
Hi
Does anyone know when first choice are pulling out of the Ocean Resort ? and why ??
I'm arriving there on the 17th of October for 2 weeks and am so used to having them there as I've being going there since 1999.
Thanks
;) only one week to go spoke to my friend who lives out there weather very nice so starting to count down the days
see you janet
Hi.

Its so reassuring to see that all is not bad at Ocean Resort. I am going on 10th October with my husband, son and daughter, Mum and Dad and Sister and her family.

We have booked 3 1 bedroom apartments, which I presume will be on the Nogal Beach side - has anyone stayed in these recently ?

I have read a lot especially on the holiday-watchdog website about cracked tiles around the pool and general dirtyness - can you reassure me on this ? Also there is a lot about broken parasols and sunbeds :que

At least the weather looks on track :tup
Hi, we came back from ocean resort on tuesday and had a fantastic time. the weather was great, food, staff, entertainment team and kids club reps were all as amazing as ever so i personally dont think you have anything to worry about. we stayed in the suites so cant comment on the nogal side but i didnt hear of any complaints whilst there.
whilst there we also found out that first choice are pulling out of the hotel on 31st october, its being taken over by germans and first choice are taking over the oasis golf, near los cristianos and it will be called oasis garden resort. heard they are coming out of the ocean resort because they wanted to make changes and do some repairs but the hotel didnt want to but not sure how true this is. just thought i would let you all know as i know lots of people were asking when it was changing and why etc. quite sad really as stayed here twice now and we all really enjoyed it and would probably have gone back again if first choice had stayed!!
Hi, i'm off to the Ocean resort for 2 weeks on Friday, the last time we were there there was a shopping centre being built across the road from the hotel, does any one know if this is finished and opened yet?
Right opposite the hotel is a complex of some sort but its no further on than last year when we went. doesnt look like anymore building needs to be done but all thats there is a thai restaurant, an estate agents and a cafe, all the other 'shops' are still empty, possibly waiting for someone to rent them.
Just back from Ocean Resort last night. Was our third time at the hotel, very disappointed, our first visit to the hotel was six years ago and was impressed then and even when we visited in 2006, but it has gone way down hill since then, it is in need of much repair, they just seem to have given up. Food was ok if you are not fussy, we did eat out a few times, at Mama Roses (Italian), Slow Boat, which is only 5min walk away from hotel and excellent meal, and a few others.
Cleanliness has much to be desired. But we did have a good holiday and made lots of friends, we just will not be going back to this hotel. It is no way now a four star hotel !!! Lots of guests made complaints to manager when we were there, but we just made the most of it !!
First Choice are pulling out, but the hotel will be open for bookings by anyone not just the Germans.
If you are going to Ocean Resort soon, ensure you set your alarm for lounger and parasol we eventually had to go out at 6.45am !!! to ensure parasol for our little one.
We returned from Ocean Resort last night. We stayed in the Nogal block ( at the back of the hotel )and were very worried before we arrived after reading lots of bad comments about the hotel, as we had never been before. To be honest we had a great holiday, but I suppose its what you make it.

We were allocated rooms 214, 215 and 216 ( 3 families together ) 1 bed apartments on the second floor of the Nogal block with a pool view. We were very pleasantly suprised, they were clean, airy and well maintained, I suppose we were very lucky as lots of write ups state the opposite.

As we were all inclusive meals were taken in the hotel, these did get a bit repetative but there was always plenty of choice, plus you could get snacks and drinks from the pool bar throughout the day.

As far as the pool goes we much preferred the pools by the Nogal block as they were quieter and much cleaner, with regard to the sunbeds our attitude soon became 'if you cant beat them, join them'. Yes lots of the loungers were faulty and didnt sit up also there were not many parasols ( im sure people took them to their rooms at night ) but this didnt put us off. Rubbish was a problem but there were plenty of bins, just lots of lazy people who did not use them and in turn set a bad example to their child who did not use them also !!!

When we went to the pools at the front of the hotel it was a different story, it was grubby, grime round the edges of the pools, bits floating in it, loads of broken tils, broken parasols and loungers and rubbish on the floor - but to be honest this is the fault of the people who dont put it in the bin not the hotel.

Also on our list of rules it stsed that it was the hotels responsibility by law to employ a life guard for the pools, this they did but he spent most of his time wandering around and into the hotel ! I was not sure how he was meant to watch 5 pools at the same time , especially as two were at the back of the hotel !

The entertainment was great ( the kids loved it ) if a bit monotonous and the entertainment team worked really hard. We found most of the hotel staff polite and friendly if you took the time to be so to them - they were also very overworked .

Our overall opinion was that the Nogal side was great and what we had paid for but as far as the hotel goes there were lots of sighn of neglect. We really enjoyed our holiday, but would not return as we like to go to different places each time we holiday.
Tenerife newspaper News In The Sun yesterday reported that the group that owns this hotel has gone into liquidation. Makes you wonder just how many hotels will go under as a result of the current financial turmoil.
I have been at this hotel 3 times, my last visit was in October 2008 when First Choice pulled out of this hotel. It does not surprise me that it has went under after our last visit we said we would no longer return as the hotel had went way down hill, and there were lots of complaints from holiday makers to the management at the time of our stay. It is clear that the hotel must have been financially struggling for sometime, that there was no money available to tend to any repairs, decor etc that was badly needed at the hotel. I really hope that the hotel is bought over and is returned to the four star hotel it was some years ago, as it is a great location, and the layout of the hotel is excellent. So fingers crossed we may be able to return one day !!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.