Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Hi again.

The last time we went to Menorca was 8 years ago at the beginning of June, and we found that we needed a light jacket to put on at night as it got a bit chilly. We are going in July this year and I'm not sure weather to take my cardie. What do you all think?

Sue
Having just returned from our summer hols, I cannot think of a superlative that best describes the Sur Menorca.

Fantastic. Brilliant. Awesome. These words do not give the place enough credit.

Firstly, the weather for those that are about to travel - leave anything woolly at home. Leave all your long trousers at home too - they will be a waste of space in your suitcase. It may sound like a cliche but we never saw a single cloud in the last 6 days of our holiday. The temperature fell to around 70 degrees at night so you can dispense with the blankets provided in your room too!

The first thing I did (before posting on here) was to reserve our hols for next year. I really do hope that word doesnt spread about how good this place is as the price may start to increase as the demand soars!

Most people that we spoke to in the resort had been in previous years and of those that had not, most intend to return. It really is that good.

Having read umpteen websites about the place where 90% + enjoyed it, I tended to become wary of the 5% or so that did not. I can only think that these people book their holidays under the name of Meldrew!

This was my 6th all inclusive holiday and, admittedly, the chef was not cordon bleu but the food was certainly appetising, hence the 2 inches extra now on my waistline!

My advise to anyone about to travel is GET INVOLVED. Be it playing boules, sjoulbake (sp?), archery, shooting, table tennis, you will soon be part of the community. The animation team are wonderful and smile constantly. Johan, Rieke, Alex & Jenni will soon know you by name and ensure that you have a wonderful time.

Its very difficult to pin point any "issues" about the place but I'll do my best.

The shower in the room was a little outdated but it worked and served its purpose. The 4 PC's for internet access were not always functioning but hey ho, its not the end of the world. The queue at the bar sometimes became lengthy (20 or so people) but I'd be very surprised if you waited for more than 5 minutes.

The lifeguard had his moments too - he's not too keen on oversized inflatables in the pool - mainly because people swimming under water would not be visible to him so its reasonable for such a ruling.

Unattended kids under the age of 6 were, on ocassion, asked to swim in the kids pool but this was probably only applied 20% of the time!

I could go on but if anyone wants any specific information, please post the message and I'll try to reply before you travel.

(Even though we had a 23hour 25minute delay on the way home, I still feel that we had a great holiday!)

PS: The mini-golf wasn't open when we were in Punta Prima (June 8th - June 22nd) as it looked like the hotel complex which contained the golf course was being prepared for the 2008 season.
so pleased after having read your review, we are due to fly out to SUR MENORCA on 30th July. We are really looking forward to it. Is there enough to keep our 12 yr old son entertained?
Thanks Abe for your report.

I really can't wait to go. We actually tried to change our booking from 7 days to 10, but left it too late after getting the quote, and by the time we had decided to go with it the hotel was fully booked! :(

It's so good to hear all the great reports about the hotel. And it's good to know that I don't have to take my coat!!

KMB: My sons are 10 and 12 and we go the 16 - 23 July, so I'll let you know how we get on.

20 days and counting...

Sue
hi,i have booked up for next year,can anybody tell me what the range of drinks are.thanks
safc4ever wrote:
hi,i have booked up for next year,can anybody tell me what the range of drinks are.thanks

The draught beer is San Miguel.

I'm sure i wont be able to list the whole range of drinks but here goes - Wine (Red/Rose/White), Anise (Ouzo), Bacardi Rum, Rum, Whisky, Gin, Vodka, Martini(s) - full range, then theres brand soft drinks - Fanta Limon & Orange, Coca Cola, Diet Cola, Sprite, Tea, Coffee.

You can also choose to buy Bacardi Breezers, John Smiths Bitter, Corona, Red Bull.

I'm sure others will add their favourite holiday tipple(s) if i missed any.

When do you travel - we are there from June 12th 2009 for 2 weeks?
Abe Frohman - glad you had a good time -so did we, and I totally agree with all you have said.

Have you found the prices have gone up for next year? My local airport isn't even showing the flights yet & another airport shows the prices have gone up £1000!!

I would add Apple Snapps to the list of drinks..I had a few of those!

A note about the ice cream...in our last few days they put a sign up saying it would be 1 euro so not sure it will be AI anymore with that?
I've been into the travel agents today about booking for next year and lack of flights from my local airport.

There are currently no apartments available! We are a family of 5 so I'd like the same accomodation as this year. I can't believe they are all booked up already, the travel agent said they maybe haven't loaded onto the system yet.

However, on trying to book 2 rooms, the price still came out £600 more than this year.
rach131 wrote:
Abe Frohman - glad you had a good time -so did we, and I totally agree with all you have said.

Have you found the prices have gone up for next year? My local airport isn't even showing the flights yet & another airport shows the prices have gone up £1000!!

I would add Apple Snapps to the list of drinks..I had a few of those!

A note about the ice cream...in our last few days they put a sign up saying it would be 1 euro so not sure it will be AI anymore with that?

Hi Rach,

I'm sure our hols overlapped and I recall a little boy (your son?) being invited on stage on his 3rd birthday - one of our last days there!

Anyway, back to next year. We went on the Thomas Cook website and originally planned to travel 13.06.09 (Saturday) for 2 weeks - family of 3, in the hotel's main block. The prices were circa £1500 - slightly more than we paid in 2008 (£1485), however, when I visited Thomas Cook Travel Agents, we managed ot get a free child place by choosing to travel on the Friday June 12th and have paid £1299 for the 3 of us. Better still, we get back a couple of days before my sons 5th birthday so we are not contravening the "taking kids out of school" rule as Compulsory education only applies ot children over the age of 5.

In the words of DelBoy - "loverly jubbly".

Turning to the ice-creams, am quite surprised at that and will certainly be asking next year why this has changed.

We may see you next year (if you can grab a bargain!)
Hi

We are back and had a lovely stay. We did get our 2 bed bungalow and It was fantastic, 2 twin rooms, 2 bathrooms a lounge and a kitchen. The air con was very good and we never needed it at night as it became too cold.

The entertainment staff were very good, and there were lots of things for all ages to do.

The only complaint we had was the sun loungers. You really did have to get up at 6.30 to reserve one even one on the grass, which we didn't like being on because you couldn't see your things when in the pool. And, the grass was only seperated by a low wall from the road and anyone could climb over.

For us, not being able to get a lounger was a big problem, but for others it may not be, so don't be put off.

You did have to pay for the icecreams, which we have never had to do at an all inclusive before. but we took some little pots back from lunch and stored them in our fridge!!!

I would definitely recomment this hotel to anyone. We won't be going back next year, but only because we like to try different hotels, resorts and countries.

Sue
Hi Sue, if you havent already added your review HERE
we would be really grateful if you did. :wave:

TIA

Kath x
We are going to Sur Menorca 22/8/08 and I am very happy to read all of the positive reports. My question is actually regarding the resort of punta prima itself. Do the supermarkets stock pouches of tobacco and if so which ones are they and how much are they please ?
Thankyou for your co-operation,
Mark
Oh my favourite place :)

Right firstly the ice-cream situation...apparently during the week you were on about there was a large family who...to be polite were being a bit greedy!! So the charging was enforced. ;)

Yes you can get pouches of Tobacco BUT not in the Supermarkets, you have to go to Tabac shops, the closest one is in San Thomas (I think). :que

If you want packs of cigs there is a machine at the bar on the left hand side as you walk down to Punta Prima just before the toddler water park. :tup

i know you will love Sur Menorca, we have been going for years for at least one week a year, hire a car and explore. :cheers
ps. Husband has just said that there is a Tabac in San luis, thats only 10 mins by car from Sur Menorca.
I booked the Sur Menorca after reading all the wonderful reviews, but was a little disappointed to say the least. It seems that they have crammed in as many people as they possibly can, there are not enough sunbeds or chairs, we had to get up at 6am every morning. We queued for 45 minutes sometimes just to get a drink, tables were even reserved with towels to watch the evening entertainment!!!! The hotel was nice, the staff were fine, the pool was fab, there are just too many people there which let the whole place down. We were glad to get home.
Hi there. I have submitted a shortish video (of images) on the video library, of Sur Menorca/rest of the island. Complete with the sunshine song!! :yipee Click here!! http://holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=127576 I have also put it (and another larger one with 'sunshine' and 'el tren') on my myspace website, which you can access via my profile.
Hope you enjoy them!!
The music should bring back some memories!!
:tup
PS we are currently saving to go back!!
  • Edited by ivyann 2008-11-17 13:59:23
Thank you so much for sharing your images of Sur Menorca and Menorca, it was lovely to watch it especialy on a dark winters night. It`s a couple of years since we went and I still think it has been one of our best holidays. I loved the bit at the end where they jump in the pool and I love Sunshine for me such a happy holiday song.
Glad you liked it!! It gave me great pleasure compiling it. Its a beautiful Island and next time we go, I'll try not to break my specs, so we can see more of it!!! Still think of Sur Menorca everytime I look at my watch. The glass cover is still smeared with Superglue that got erroneously applied whilst trying to repair said specs after a day of All Inclusive hospitatlity!! :cheers
Makes me smile every time, even at 9am on a miserable November Monday morning!!!
We were thinking of going last week in June but what is putting me off is the sunbed situation and the comments regarding queues and the lack of seats for entertainment at night. Don't know how busy it would be then?

Also, would the kids have to top and tail - they are 5 and 8 and don't think they would be too keen?

Thanks
hi there,myself and family went last august and at the start of holiday sunbeds were a nightmare to get,however problem got solved as they were chained up at night and not opened until 8am.I went down every morning about 7.50 and got 3 beds no problem and this was first week in august!Regarding seating for entertainment the stage is just awkwardly placed and you can get a view from most places,but what we done was we ate early and came out resturant and there was loads of seats ,however people started leaving towels on tables and then going for dinner{and these were brits!}but people just removed them.Regarding your sleeping arrangements sorry cant help as ours only slept 3.It is a fab place friendly people and staff, you will enjoy.P.s we are going back in august .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.