Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hotel Abou Sofiane, Port El Kantaoui. Tunisia

We have just returned from this hotel. Brilliant.
My wife sufferers from MS and although she has limited mobility, requires a wheelchair or mobility scooter to get around.
We did have concerns about the hotel, but their was no problems.
We took the portable mobility scooter for the first time.

The entrance has a ramp into the main reception area which is all on the level.
You can access the outside garden area via the emergency door which is ramped.
Access again via ramps to the pool, and from the pool to the beach bar. Which does have two steps.
The only areas which caused some concern was the main restaurant, which has 10 steps up to it.
Also their is only one disabled room to my knowledge.
Both issues are being address by the hotel, resulting in a stair lift being installed to the restaurant, and more disabled rooms.
Their are lifts to all floors. Corridors can be a bit of a trek as they are long.
So if you can only walk a short way, you will require a room near the lift.
Wheelchairs/scooters no problem.
We will return to this hotel in the future as the staff are fantastic and will help if required.
Jim
Just been to the Riu Tikida Dunas in Agadir Morocco wheelchair friendly plenty of ramps, there are accessible rooms also (but not with sea view) they are ramped into the room and onto the terrace, the rooms are 3 storey so you would need a ground floor one they have one step only, the grounds go straight onto a flat promenade which you can get into Agadir centre. The outdoor swimming pools are sloped, but the indoor one has steps into the pool, there are plenty of taxi's outside the hotel and the staff are really helpful, we took a mobility scooter so do not know what the accessible rooms are like, but you could e-mail the hotel or the riu site.
Last year we went to The Hotel Britannia Excelsior in Cadenabbia Italy and as a wheelchair user this was a really good hotel to get around. We were given a bigger room so that I could get my wheelchair around. There are pleny of lifts and the staff were really helpful. The only thing that may be a problem is that the food is buffet style and you may need someone to help carry it, but as there was two of us we didn't find this a problem and there was nearly aways staff around who never minded if you asked for help. There were steps down to the swimming pool area,but we were told that they were going to put in a slope. The pavements were not very good in Cadenabbia but there was a road train that was happy to take my wheelchair and as I can walk a little I could get on and off Ok. We went with Shearings and had day trips to Como and Milan and also a lake tour I found all of these very easy to get around. I had read reports that were not very good about this hotel, but really cannot see why one of the nicer ones I have stayed at in Italy and I will be going back.
Hotels i can highly recommend as my husband uses a mobility scooter are-
The barras apartments (Ground floor) in san stephanos Greece
The Sah hotel in Bitez(Ground floor) Turkey. Bitez perfect really flat resort
Club E hotel in Calis Beach Turkey though steep ramp to get in. Calis Beach also very flat
Barcello hotel Fuertaventura resort also flat
Royal playa del carmen Mexico. Perfect!
All above are ideal for people who are disabled.
Gran Hotel Lopesan Costa Melonera, Gran Canaria

The Meloneras area of Gran Canaria is quite new and therefore very disability friendly with ramps everywhere. A little pricey compared to the rest of Gran Canaria but so much nicer.
We stayed at the above hotel which was ramped throughout. The lifts are big enough to take your mobility scooter up to your room, which was roomy enough for it not to be in the way. The grounds of the hotel are huge and very beautiful and completely on the flat with smooth paths everywhere for easy pushing of chairs etc. Staff very helpful. There was nowhere in the complex which wasn't accessible and lots of benches to sit on etc.
Bathrooms had both a walk in shower (2 inch border to step over) and a bath. Nothing to hold onto in the shower though so we used the bath. They do have 6 disabled rooms though which apparently have the full works so best to book one of them if bathing is a difficulty for you.
Fabulous hotel especially if you're over 40 (not much in Meloneras for families though) Entertainment at night was good too so no need to go father afield if you didn't want to.
Do you still have your accommodation hazel
thanks
lissa
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.