Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
Hi, Do you want details of self-catering too. We tend to go for self-catering, villas and apartments because we like to try different restaurants.
Yes Jax....I'll edit my post to include all properties.

Van
If people are going S/C and eating out, a list of places that are accessable to all would be useful as well..

This hotel is wheelchair friendly and this bar is only 1 minute up a well made road and has ramps and wide aisles.. etc etc etc
Ok, I`ll make a start with my experiences, but as they are many and varied. I may have to do it in episodes.
Episode 1.
My disabilities. I suffer from chronic Rheumatoid Arthritis so my condition has got worse over the years. I can still walk (well more of a shuffle) but it`s painful because most of my joints are affected, including my spine. I use a wheelchair (pushed by hubby) to get around so we need flat resorts, preferably without narrow streets and essentially an accessible bathroom with grab rails and level entry shower.
Holidays could be made easier if we liked it to be hotel based, but we don`t like staying around the pool and eating in the hotel restaurant.
This year Barbados
We went to Barbados with friends who had been many times so they knew which resort would be best for us. The Virgin Caribbean brochure is excellent. All the hotels which are wheelchair accessible are marked and they tell you if any are available with accessible bathrooms. In the end we decided to go it alone and booked the Rostrevor apartments right in the middle of St Lawrence Gap. There is a newly built wing which has ground floor apartments which are very roomy with a lovely terrace facing the sea and a bathroom with grab rails and level entry shower with a drop-down seat. As I dont`t use the chair inside I don`t know the width of the door to the bathroom. The apartments are ramped throughout. The pool area overlooking the sea is on a lower level but there is a ramp through the garden. On the downside the pool is not accessible (three steps up) and the hotel`s very small beach is down some narrow wooden steps. The resort is very flat with a wide paved road running through it which can get busy with traffic on a night when the young people like to cruise round, but they drive slowly and are very friendly and give you plenty of time to get by. The main beach was about a ten minute stroll away and is fairly easy to get on. Most of the restaurants are difficult to access. The Ship Inn has great food and entertainment and ramped access but the toilets are downstairs. We had some great meals in fab restauarants but we had to keep popping back to the apartment to use the loo.
To sum up, Barbados is not a wheelchair friendly island. You can find hotels to suit disabled visitors. 2 of the best are the Amaryllis Beach and the Accra Beach, best suited if you are happy to stay around the hotel. The area around them is very difficult to negotiate narrow, uneven paths etc so if you want to get out and about you need a car. After all that I wouldn`t have missed it for the world. Would I go again? Probably not.
Oh thats something else I'd forgotten about in Cyprus, everywhere (restaurant and bars) seemed to have the toilets either up or down a flight of strairs.
I got the impression they hadn't thought about needing toilets and as an after thought they opened up thier own toilet upstairs for people to use.
which takes me nicely on to episode 2 Cyprus 2003
Last year we stayed at http://www.evas-apartments.com they have a really great web-site so I won`t go into too many details. Eva and her family are lovely people and they arrange everything for you including picking up from the airport. They have people returning year after year. The apartments are very roomy and we had one with a fantastic 6 foot bed. The pool has a hoist and you can hire motorised chairs. The apartments are situated in Polis which is a small town up in the north-west. It has a very pretty square with lots of restaurants, most of which, as previously said, with toilets upstairs, but if you find one with a ground floor one they are very happy to let you use it, even if you are not eating there. It`s a very friendly little place. The only down-side is the town is about 25 minutes walk from the beach, through olive groves and a wooded camping area so the only time we visited the beach was when we had a car. Eva`s son,Chris, is a tireless campaigner for accessibility on Cyprus and through his efforts the beach is now ramped. So it is well worth the effort to get there. I would definately recommend the apartments for every degree of disability.
http://www.accessatlast.com has the best hotels in the UK that service disabled peoples needs.

We can arrange living accessories to be delivered e.g. Shower chairs and hiosts.

Our vision is to put disabled people in control! No more holidays from hell!

Stephen Pritchard
Director
http://www.accessatlast.com
Bouganville playa las americas has very good disable facilities.

You can get a wheel chairs or electric buggy to both pools and there is 4 good sized lifts, twice the size that you normally find in a spanish hotel, where there are steps ramps are in place. The lifts take you straight down to the pool area level so no steps invovled.

No steps entering the hotel, restaurant and entertainment and the area's have easy access. The rooms are of a good size and you could easily use a electric buggy right into the rooms and have plenty of space. When I was there at least 10 people where in wheel chairs and had no problems. Because the resort is hilly it would be best to use a electric buggy or wheel chair, which can be hired in the resort.

Mike :D
My wife suffers with MS, wheelchair bound. For the last 2 years my wife, myself and our 2 sons (15 and 17) stayed at "THE BRILLIENT HOTEL" in Protaras Cyprus. First the hotel; You will find a short, steep ramp up to the reception area not difficult if your carier is pushing! otherwise a bit of a struggle. going from reception/lounge on to the outside breakfast patio. At the patio sliding windows you will need to overcome a very small step down. Again no problem if it's your carier pushing otherwise you will need help. I would like to make a point at this stage. The hotel staff are absolutly fantastic they bend over backwards to help, nothing was too much trouble, they will help. Back to the plot. Going from the breakfast area onto th poolside patio is a short ramp at the end of this ramp is about a 2in step (can't believe this!) making the ramp not very usefull.
getting around the pool was easy, i.e. no more steps!
If you decide to book it is esential you confirm a ground floor room as you will at best, struggle to get a wheelchair into the lift. To ensure you can have a ground floor appartment BOOK DIRECT with the hotel as tour operaters will not bother once they have your money!
The appartment we had was room #2 close to the fire door. The fire door led onto the poolside patio via another ramp with a 2in step!! (don't they have disabled people in Cyprus!). The appartment was spacious (they are not all spacious appartments!) the door width was ok for our smallish wheelchair, a wider one may struggle. living area and kitchen no problems getting around. the balcony was massive but getting out there ment going over a very small step (about 10mm). The bathroom give us the most problems. Allthough the bathroom was not too small for OUR use!! others may struggle. I had to scrounge a small plastic stool for my wife to sit on in the bath (NOT recomended, not safe) while I gave her a shower.
The area of protaras; The resort was not too bad pushing a wheelchair around. The hotel is located up a not too steep hill from the main strip and the beach. This is a nightmare in the full heat of the day. The best part of the beach for the disabled is located up by McDonalds and down a side road. they have a disabled toilet and a boardwalk on to the beach. I could go on for pages but, my conclusion is; If you have a healthy carier, GO you will love it. If you are an independent person you may struggle.

I do hope this is of some help to you, good luck!! John.
This website may be useful for anyone with a disability considering a holiday in Egypt...

http://www.enjoytours.org/En/accessibleegypt.htm
I can recommend the Iberostar Costa Dorada in Dominican Republic. Neither myself or husband are disabled however when we stayed here there were a number of wheel chair users staying here. There are specific rooms designed for wheelchairs and the whole complex is flat, no bumps and ramps to the reception/restaurants. It is a truely wonderful place to stay too.
Hi SallyMac,

Thanks for taking the time out to post about your hotel. It really helps anyone looking for wheelchair friendly accomodation to at least have an idea of where to start. :tup

You've proved that you don't have to be disabled to be aware and I would like to salute you on that one!!! :bow

I did consider going into business seeking out accessible accomodations.......... just wondering if all future holidays could be tax deductable in the name of research????? :rofl
Sounds like a good idea Gypsy! Can I come along too and help out!!
:lol:
The thing that stood out about the Iberostar Costa Dorada was how easy it was for wheelchair users to get about. There were no bumpy paths, no heavy doors, no stairs - all the specially designed rooms are ground floor of course. The restaurants and buffet were very spacious, no problems moving between tables etc. Its also All Inclusive so what more can you ask for! Fab cocktails!! and 24 hour food and drink - heaven! You can check out pictures on http://www.iberostar.com

Sally :)
Is this site just for foreign destinations? If not, my daughter has had rheumatoid arthritis for over 20yrs and uses a mobility scooter. Her problems arise when she can`t find a dropped kerb, or when she does, they don`t tend to put them opposite each other, for some reason. Avery good resort in this country for wheelchair and scooter users is Weston-Super- Mare in Somerset. They have lots of dropped kerbs, sometimes no kerbs at all, very easy to get around. She still hasn`t got the confidence to go abroad yet.
Just browsing and came across this.
I have a small wheelchair accessible taxi company and this is what I have been looking for.
My customers although vary regarding their own disabilities,are always on the look out for better choice of holiday accomodation.
Great site and can now give them extra information and various potential holiday spots they can visit.
I am 24 years old and use a wheelchair as a result of an accident in 2002.

Costa Del Sol - Fuengirola - Confortel.

The Confortel is a great hotel and has 14 acessible rooms and pool with a hoist. Fuengirola is great for access.

Portugal - Algarve

We weet to Villamoura, Quateira and Albufeira.

Villamoura was great very flat mostly based round the marina loved it.
Quateira we went for the day to visit the market (tuesdays) fairly flat if stay down the bottom near the beach very long promenade very accessible to beach with gangwalks on the beach.

Albuifeira was not totally flat and was made up of 5cm mosaic tiles that i found to be very good apart from when there was the odd one missing.

Ocean Village Cruise

This was a great holiday however jus watch out for which ports are not accessible as the ship had to drop anchor at monaco and menorca and you hard to go ashore via tender boat which was accessed via lots of steps

[/u]
Hi
I have a beautiful villa available for renting in the Vista Hermosa area of los cristainous 3 bedrooms 3 shower rooms, heated swimming pool,
separate fully equip kitchen with washing machine and dishwasher.
all doorways specially widen for wheelchair access
all windows have electric shutters
remote control individual air conditioning units in all rooms.
there is a lift from garage level all the way up to the top terrace.
Disabled facilities include drive in ensuite shower room in main bedroom with electric hoist, commode and electric single bed, doorway to top terrace and lift.
heated swimming pool with mobile electric pool hoist.
there are two further double bedrooms with twin beds
sleeps max 6 people.
please contact me for further details
Ruth
and here is my part for an accommodation for disabled guest
Nicolas

STUDIOS + APARTMENTS for 2 up to 4 guests - studios is 1 room
in a family run property straight at the Cretan Sea - Crete - Sfakaki-Stavromenos at the Northcoast,12 km east of Rethymnon town and 68 km west of Heraklion airport

ARRIVAL/PARKING: straight along the new road from HERAKLION or CHANIA airports to SFAKAKI-
STAVROMENOS - own parking
TRANSFERS: by normal taxi or Rent a Car from/to the ports + airports - NO transfer possibility for
Electric wheelchairs !
HOW to reach the units: straight + small step up to 5 cm + ramp + wooden ramp
TERRAIN in and around: flat - concrete ways - firmly fixed
INSIDE DETAILS in CM: width of main door 86 - room door 86 - opening inside - bathroom 78 -
Opening inside - balcony 96 = sliding door
SQUARE METERS of the units: APARTMENTS bedroom 13 m/2 - living room with kitchenette 23 m/2 -
Bathroom 4 m/2 - balcony 5 m/2
STUDIOS are 1 room - total the same square meters !!!
MAXIMUM HIGHT of: light switches 110 cm - sockets 110 cm
AVAILABLE: fan heater - safe - sunbeds - sunshade - breakfast
PASSABILITY of bathroom: washbasin 78 x 41 cm from the front - step into shower 17 cm height - lengthen of shower tube is possible to have the shower in the bathroom - MEASURES: washbasin height
78 cm, depth 41 cm - toilet height 46 cm depth 75 cm - shower stool - lightswitches outside - mirror
135 cm lowest part - GRIPS available at: toilet + shower
BED MEASURES: 200 x 100 cm - height up to mattress 39 cm, other bed height possible on advance
Booking / passable width between 2 beds 100 cm - beds are moveable
FLOOR COVERING: rooms TILES - bathroom TILES - balcony TILES - in the accommodation TILES -
Around CONCRETE
BREAKFAST ROOM: width of main door 120 cm - space enough for wheelchairs, on terrace too
ALSO AVAILABLE: reception - bar - snack bar - toilet for handicapped
SURROUNDING: flat - a bit ascent necessary
TAVERNS + SHOPS within reach : straight or ramps
PAVEMENTS in the surrounding + the next town are partial with ramps
TRAFFIC COMMUNICATION: regular bus services often with underfloor - wheelchairs transportable
Taxi available by reception - wheelchairs transportable
Car + Minibus rentaql available also by prebooking
PHYSICIANS with experiences with disabled within reach
PASSABILITY of surrounded beach: with assistance directly + ramps + steps - sandy beaches
ACTIVITIES: guided excursions by normal coach on request + horse riding + walking tours ON REQUEST
MORE: information meeting in accommodation - fond of children - for groups possible
RECOMMENDED for: wheelchairs - physically disabled - mental - vision - blind + others on request
I can recommend Iberostar Creta Panorama & Mare near Rethymnon Crete - great disabled access for wheelchair users (there were quite a few there when we stayed) - even to the beach!

All inclusive; great food all day long, free drinkable beer and wine on tap and superb gardens.

You can book through Kosmar, Medhotels, or Broadway Travel to name but a few - highly recommended for able bodied and disabled alike.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.