Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
:welcome to the forums Simples72

I've alerted Darren HT Mod to this post as he maybe able to help when he's next online :tup
I was delayed 26 hours a few years ago but we were looked after very well by Thomson.
We were put up in a hotel overnight and provided with meals.
I wouldn't dream of seeking compensation as the flight prices are bound to rise so much that foreign holidays will only be for the rich.
sorry but I totally disagree with compo for flight delays....would you rather the airlines take chances with planes to keep the times right or do minor repairs to be 100% safe even if it delays you by a few hours ???
2-4 hours delay is nothing and people should not complain about it.
same goes for claims against hospitals doctors are not gods they make mistakes and claiming money from the nhs just makes less money for future care/research. this country is getting like America everyone wants money for nothing.
Why shouldn't passengers be compensated for significant flight delays ? It is a strict EU ruling that is clearly laid out , airlines know their exposure to this legislation and I'm sure incorporate a slight rise in fares to cover any liabilities , a few years ago ryanair introduced a 2€ levy to cover any costs that could arise ( don't think they have this levy now ) ?? Did they in any year have costs incurred by delay compensation reaching 120 million euros ? They do happen to be a very punctual airline .

In terms of flight prices increasing , that won't happen will it ? Haven't oil prices fallen 40% this year , and as fuel is broadly half the cost of running an airline I don't see too many flight prices falling dramatically !! In fact with oil costs falling its a windfall to airlines who were very quick to hike up fuel surcharges and fares when the oil prices were rising .

With profits rising for airlines due to a dramatic decrease in fuel prices they will be able to afford more new aircraft , or maintain their current fleet so minimising delays due to technical faults , I see nothing wrong in being able to be compensated for a failure to deliver contractually agreed flights for reasons covered by the EU legislation , as is often said we have to agree to the terms and conditions and so do the airlines .
It's quick for people to judge me without knowing the full facts, the flight was delayed as the aircraft was not even in the uk due to a knock on effect from 2 days earlier. As we were only using flight only my connecting flight in goa to Delhi was missed and a new flight had to be purchased. Thomas Cook whilst in the uk offered nothing for the delay.

So before you leave comments regarding flight delay compensation ask yourself would you have just forked out more money for new tickets and do nothing ?
Simples72 wrote:
It's quick for people to judge me without knowing the full facts, the flight was delayed as the aircraft was not even in the uk due to a knock on effect from 2 days earlier. As we were only using flight only my connecting flight in goa to Delhi was missed and a new flight had to be purchased. Thomas Cook whilst in the uk offered nothing for the delay.

So before you leave comments regarding flight delay compensation ask yourself would you have just forked out more money for new tickets and do nothing ?

You could easily have made up an hour en route resulting in the delay being between 3-4 hrs. You didn't have a connecting flight. You had an onward flight which was entirely at your own risk. As you were travelling independently you should have made sure you bought the correct insurance to cover for such eventualities.
The OP is only mentioning the compensation for the delay of the TCX flight , he does not mention wanting to claim for his loss suffered by having to purchase a new flight to complete his journey to Delhi , which he isn't entitled to and either he took the risk ( that he might be delayed and miss the next flight ) or had appropriate insurance cover , the point he is now making is that compensation has has been offered for a 3 to 4 hour delay but the departure time was 5.03 hours late , it could well be that over 1.03 hours was made up inflight so the correct level of compensation has been offered , the flight was scheduled to arrive at 00.25 , if he can't find out the stats of the actual arrival time when the door was opened perhaps contacting one of the claims experts to find out may be the only way , using someone like Bott and Co
the OP was a new member who joined looking for advice.
so far there seems to be only one piece of advice offered and a few posts about how they shouldn't even be asking for compensation.so much for a friendly website where the members try to help others!
i think that this is a general question to which the answer, if we ever get one, could be of interest to other members and hope someone like Darren is able to help
andy66 wrote:
The OP is only mentioning the compensation for the delay of the TCX flight , he does not mention wanting to claim for his loss suffered by having to purchase a new flight to complete his journey to Delhi , which he isn't entitled to and either he took the risk ( that he might be delayed and miss the next flight ) or had appropriate insurance cover , the point he is now making is that compensation has has been offered for a 3 to 4 hour delay but the departure time was 5.03 hours late , it could well be that over 1.03 hours was made up inflight so the correct level of compensation has been offered , the flight was scheduled to arrive at 00.25 , if he can't find out the stats of the actual arrival time when the door was opened perhaps contacting one of the claims experts to find out may be the only way , using someone like Bott and Co

I am aware he is, but he did say

As we were only using flight only my connecting flight in goa to Delhi was missed and a new flight had to be purchased. Thomas Cook whilst in the uk offered nothing for the delay.

which I read to mean monetary compensation. Maybe it wasn't and he meant duty of care. If they didn't offer duty of care I'd be very surprised because the airlines, including TC, are usually good at handing out vouchers. Neither did he mention insurance reimbursing him for the cost on his new onward tickets.

He needs to ascertain what time the brakes went on, not when the door opened, although that is unlikely to make a significant difference.

After months of arguing with TC and with the help of the CAA I have now obtained compensation. TC have offered £480 /300 euros per person, this is inline with flight delays of between 3-4 hrs long haul.

I would have thought one of the reasons for the delay in paying the compensation would have been down to the Je2 v Huzar case,( which both the airlines and the CAA have been explaining to claimants), and which we know was finalised once and for all on 31st October. The airlines have been revisiting claims stayed because of that case resulting in a lot of payouts since then.
I agree with the OP and not with those who are anti compensation in these cases!!!

I believe that if you sign up for an account with the site Flightstats you can obtain arrival times for historic flights.

We lost a whole day of our holiday in the DR about 4 years ago, when our flight turned round over the Atlantic because there was a possibility that a tyre had burst on takeoff - we were told afterwards by Thomson flight crew, that the plane could have landed just as safely in the DR ,rather than the slow ,tortuous return to Gatwick burning up fuel -but in their view,Thomson made a commercial decision to return as any repairs would be cheaper to carry out in the UK! Originally we were only looking for a good will gesture in the form of a discount on a future holiday but that was refused so I made a formal claim.
Thomson originally rejected our claim because they said that the loss was due to a safety issue. I have resubmitted since the last judgement went against the industry but I suspect they will again refuse the claim.

@JayTrip -with due respect -There is no way that a night in the Gatwick Hilton in March with a very basic meal and no drinks, is the equivalent of a night in a 5* AI hotel in the DR :rofl
jimd-f wrote:
the OP was a new member who joined looking for advice.
so far there seems to be only one piece of advice offered and a few posts about how they shouldn't even be asking for compensation.so much for a friendly website where the members try to help others!
i think that this is a general question to which the answer, if we ever get one, could be of interest to other members and hope someone like Darren is able to help

Have to agree, this is brand new member who legitimately has asked for help it seems the few couple of posts have come across that the OP should not be going down the compensation route at all, and IMHO not friendly, and then we mention in other threads why this forum is so quiet....

And for the post of Denny :que

[
Miss Pink wrote:
And for the post of Denny

simply agreeing with the post before - do you have a problem with that, Miss Pink????
Miss Pink wrote:
not friendly, and then we mention in other threads why this forum is so quiet....

And for the post of Denny

You need to practice what you preach Miss Pink !!!!!!
In regards to " arrival time "
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-29062763

A minute or two can make a difference
http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/document.jsf?text=&docid=157348&pageIndex=0&doclang=EN&mode=lst&dir=&occ=first&part=1&cid=379820

The concept of arrival time is when at least one door is opened which permits the passenger to be able to leave the aircraft and then go about their normal activities
posting your question here
http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight-61/
may get you some useful information as this is a forum used by pilots and crew
madasharley wrote:
sorry but I totally disagree with compo for flight delays....would you rather the airlines take chances with planes to keep the times right or do minor repairs to be 100% safe even if it delays you by a few hours ???
2-4 hours delay is nothing and people should not complain about it.
same goes for claims against hospitals doctors are not gods they make mistakes and claiming money from the nhs just makes less money for future care/research. this country is getting like America everyone wants money for nothing.

It's all very well lying there in your coffin listening to Abide with Me when the doctors have made a mistake.

No thanks and the airlines should pay the proper compensation when flights are delayed. It is not the customer's fault if the plane is faulty.
Qman wrote:
t's all very well lying there in your coffin listening to Abide with Me when the doctors have made a mistake.

or if you get on a plane thats not 100% safe - both could end up with you lying in a coffin.!
Simples 72. you could try "Simple Airline Compensation" website, a no win no fee site. Tonyt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.