Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi Myvot,

Why not hire the car for the drive down to Port Canaveral and drop it off at the rental companys office in Cape Canaveral approx 0.5- 1 mile away, then pick it up after your cruise for your second week. Most provide free transfers between port & their office, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Avis? and Hertz are all in Cape Canaveral, they may do this between the hotel as well, but I'm not sure, or even collect/deliver your car for you. This way you won't be paying for the days you are away on your cruise.

I have just done this as I was originally told that there was no car rental companys at the port, which is theoretically true, but on further investigation I found out the above and cancelled the transfers to/from the port from Orlando and booked the car instead and saved £140 in the process. We are staying in Orlando for 5 days, off hire the car at Cape C prior to a weeks cruise and rehire the car for our return to the airport from Cape C, the car will give us flexibility so we can do a little more on our last day, as our flight isn't until 6.15pm.

Hope this helps

Regards

Ezzigo
Hi we did a Carnival cruise in May hired a car in Orlando drove to Port/Canaveral stayed over night at the Raddisson
lovely hotel with super pool,returned car to Avis morning of cruise,free shuttle to Port,after the cruise Avis shuttle
was at the port waiting back to depot and pick up another hire car to drive to Orlando for another week,all very easy.
annx
Could we have a topic for port information..such as cost of taxis and other cheaper form of transfers from airports to port
I have often looked at some cheap DIY cruises but have been put off by the uncertainty of the transfers from the airport to port
MIAMI-
From Miami International Airport (MIA)to the Port of Miami- Taxi rate is fixed, $24.
Supershuttle will also take you there for $15 per person. http://www.Supershuttle.com you can book ahead or show up on the day.
Supershuttle will take you from the airport to local hotels for around $15.
From MIA or Miami hotels to Port Everglades (Ft L) SAS transportation will shuttle you for around $14 per person.
From Miami to Port Everglades by taxi or Limo around $80-100.

FORT LAUDERDALE -
From Fort Lauderdale airport FLL to Port Everglades by taxi around $13..
From Fort Lauderdale airport or hotels to Port of Miami - SAS transportation, around $15 each.
From Fort Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami by taxi or Limo around $80-100 plus tip.
Shuttle from FLL to Port Everglades -http://www.floridasunshineshuttle.com/port-everglades-transportation.html

ORLANDO for Port Canaveral:
From Orlando (MCO) http://www.cbshuttle will take you to the port, or Cocoa Beach hotels ( minutes to port) for around $33 each, they give discounts for groups. See website.
Town car or Limo will cost around $85 plus tip.

Return shuttle services to airports are also available from your cruise line, book at Guest Services on board.
  • Edited by emdia43 2009-09-22 23:09:30
I just(Sun 21st Sept) tried SAS for a port everglades to Miami port and they don't do it, saying they don't go into Port Everglades.

Response was quick and offered an alterantive so do try them for your transfer needs but check they do your required trip.
That's odd. Do you know the name of who you spoke to?
Here's their website http://www.ridesas.com/html/cruise_lines.html
Email from Steven Sadowsky who I think is the owner.
Yes, he is. I sent an email to ask what's up ?
I got a response from SAS Transportation , and he is in the process of changing the website to reflect the alteration in routes- they will no longer go into Port Everglades.
I have posted the name of another shuttle service. Google will also provide you with alternatives.
Shuttles are shared ride van services. Compare rates, it may be cheaper to go by taxi if you are in a larger group, if single or a couple then the shuttles are sometimes cheaper.
Thanks for letting me know Windjammer.
Thanks for the followup,

These guys are so busy they forget how important the web info is for International travelers

We are booked on both cruises so have 6 hours to get between ports should be a doddle and not too expensive.
I just got another email from SAS- he says that there is now a transportation dispatcher at Port Everglades that will place you in a van that will take you to Port of Miami for a set rate of $23. Hope that helps.
thanks thats what he told me as well it will do the job price is OK and we have the time.

All we need now is the flight home, the cheap one I thought I had is not available(mix up on the system).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.