Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
how did you pay might be worth seeing if they will stop the payment, plus do you have 48 hrs to cancal a booking made online worth checking
Several alternatives.

You can or fax ring them on the numbers below.

I personally would suggest that you write to them - use "Signed For Service" - Then you have proof that they have received your letter.

Next

HT have teamed up with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, to provide the best information available.

Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :-

Tel :- 01922 621114

Next

You could try Consumer Direct on 08454 04 05 06 - For the cost of a telephone call it may help. They will at least be able to advise you.

I do note they have a disclaimer on their website regarding emails that go astray. Rather strange for an outfit that claims to deal only on the internet.

One reason why I suggest writing in the manner I have. They do not go astray. You can also track the letter online.

On The Piste Travel Ltd

Also trading as On The Beach

Tel: 0845 6020362
28 Great King St, Macclesfield SK11 6PL

Tel: 01625 503111
28 Great King St, Macclesfield SK11 6PL

Fax: 01625 503222
Macclesfield SK11 6PL

If their website does not make clear as you say then I would think that it could be classed as misleading. That could possible break the rules. Check on the ABTA website also.

fwh
fwh
Could I just say that your advice and the clarity of it if fantastic. For anyone who struggles wondering what to do next to be able to come on this site and have this amount of information almost immediately.

Keep up the good work! The World needs more like you!

OP Hope you can sort this out. If I were you I would not even contemplate taking on this length of bus journey at the start and end of your hard earned holiday.
There has to be a solution and in my opinion due to the ambiguous nature of their web site they should transfer hotels with no admin.fee.

You need to get this to the highest level of this Company. Yes there are rules but nothing is written in stone!

Good luck

Sue
fwh and the Seeds...

Thank you for your extremely helpful advice. When I have telephoned the company they tell me that they will respond within 48 hours.... Guess what??? They haven't.

Sadly, I booked this holiday about 3 weeks ago so I cannot stop the payment of the deposit.

However, will certainly follow through with fwh's advice... My intention is to sent them a registered post letter informing them that I am cancellling the holiday (further research on the internet suggests that this company often contact you shortly before you travel to say that flights are unavailable or the hotel booked is not open etc., etc., but that they will 'fix' the problem for even more money).

I will inform them that their site is misleading and, if I am right, common law states that if my complaint is reasonable (i.e. that it is reasonable to assume, when booking a holiday, that the airport is in the vicinity of resort where the hotel is located) then their terms and conditions go out of the window and I am entitled to a full refund of my desposit. I am so angry that I am fully prepared to test this in court.

I have already written a letter of complaint to ABTA but have not heard from them yet (anyone got any experience of dealing with ABTA; ie. have they got teeth???).

I will post my blow by blow experience with this firm on the site as it happens (or doesn't happen as the case may be!!!).
Here are a couple of sites that may be useful if you are going to pursue this yourself

http://www.howtocomplain.co.uk

Money Claim Online

If you feel the company is going to be difficult or you need professional advise, then I suggest you call Ros Fernihough for free advice.

luci :wave
Glad we can be of some help, but please contact either Ros or Consumer Direct first and check your legal position.

For the cost of that simple telephone call you could save a considerable amount of money.

Remember that when you book your holiday the clock starts counting down. The cancellation charges start to mount. It may not be just your deposit you lose.

The "Signed For Service" adds about £0.68p to your letter as is just as good as paying for recorded delivery.

fwh
Within an hour or two I am awash with really top quality advice... Like Sue says, this is an excellent site and extremely helpful.

The problem with trying to get to the highest levels of this compnay is that they block communication at every level Sue... I have written to the Managing Director, Mr. Simon Cooper himself! Needless to say I have not received so much as an acknowledgement of my email!

I strongly suspect that this will be a compnay who will not respond until the summons arrives on their desk at which point they will probably deny all knowledge of the whole matter... I am definitely going to write to them using the 'Signed for' service that fwh suggests.

I am well aware of Ros Fernihough and, would you believe, she happens to operate out of the same town as I live in (Walsall).

Because of the nature of my work, I also have access to dozens of other solicitors... I am sure that I will be able to get good legal advice.

I am reasonably confident I can win this one because the companies attitude is demonstrably dreadful and their failure to communicate or provide adequate channels for communication can also be easily demonstrated. Furthermore, as I suggested in an earlier posting, common law is not sympathetic when reasonable assumptions are breached so flagrantly.

What I find incredibly wearing is that holidays are something that are supposed to be a pleasure! We work extremely hard to earn them and having to fight like is draining and seriously detracts from the pleasure!

Like I have said before... I will be you guys posted... In the meantime, thanks for all of your support, it really is appreciated... If I can score a victory for the reasonable consumer and help prevent some other poor sucker walking into the trap like I did, so much the better!!!!
I found it difficult to believe that a holiday company would make a cock-up like this so just tried their web site myself. Sure enough I choose a Dalaman flight and was offered accommodation as a "star choice" in Side. The best airport for Side would be Antalya.

I think the company is component creating holidays from several suppliers. In the example I selected the flights offered were from either Goldentrail or Thomas Cook. Once selected then accommodation looks like it comes from another source. I suspect On the Beach are delaying a responce to you because they have effectively confirmed the flight seats with one provider and the accommodation with another and now trying to dig themselves from a deep hole to try not to lose money that they would otherwise need to pay their suppliers.

Given that this is clearly their mistake I would ring the main reservations number on their web site (0870 606 0708) and ask to speak to a supervisor. The fact that you booked on the web should make no difference in this case as their system has incorrectly allowed you to book a holiday combination that clearly is not suitable.

If that doesn't work I personally would ring ABTA (to whom they are members). I'm sure ABTA would enjoy taking this up with them.

Good luck. Keep smiling - I am sure you will get this sorted. You have very strong grounds for complaint.

My take on this would be that either On the Beach or their accommodation provider has not correctly loaded their accommodation availability on the system tied to the correct (or nearest) airport. Either way they need to rectify this mistake. Perhaps you could either pick an alternative accommodation in Marmaris, Ichmeler or Olu Deniz (served from Dalaman), or if you want to stay at the Antalya hotel, suggest they find you a suitable BHX/AYT/BHX flight. I certainly wouldn't recommened a transfer by road. It's a very long way!.
Hi Traveller...

Many thanks. In fact I did telephone the main reservations line. They told me that because I booked online I would have to email the admin department. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told that one was not available. When I asked for the name of a manager I was told that they would not give out this information. When I then asked for the name of the agent I was speaking to, she slammed the phone down on me (I know from other websites that I am not the first customer to be treated in this way).

I telephoned again and was told that changing the flights would not be possible. However, I could change the hotel and was directed to another page on their website. I went to this and disocvered that I would be charged a MINIMUM of £75-00 to make the change and that I could be liable for further fees if there was a problem booking up the rooms in the original hotel. I was then expected to offer my credit/debit card details for an undsclosed amount of money... As you can see, I could be stung for £100's more pounds!!!

During the phone conversation with the agnet who adviused me to change hotel, I pointed out that the company do not offer a transfer from Dlaman to Antalya (opresumably because it it too far). She told me that they were under no obligation to offer transfers at all. When I pointed out that I thought that I was reasonable to expect the resort hotel genrated by their system to be reasonably close to the airport, I was told that this was might resposnibility and that I should have checked!!!!

I have checked what it would cost to get a transfer from Dalaman to Antalya... It would take 5 hours each way and would cost £600-00 return for the 5 of us!!!!

I have now written to Ros Fernihough to seek her advice.

Once again, thanks for all of the useful advice people... I really appreciate it all

p.s. sorry if my typing goes a bit wonky... my typing performance is inversely proportional to my level of anger towards 'On the Beach' regarding how I have been treated by them....
Many thanks for keeping us in the picture. Please let us know how you go on.

All feedback that people give is invaluable in helping someone else in the future.

I always caution about emails - there can be problems when for whatever reason they do not arrive. I have just had a problem myself where an email got lost in the system. The company concerned were unable to trace it. When I contacted them, not having had a reply, they sorted the problem out straight away. It turned out the original problem had been caused by a system fault between them and Visa. I had that confirmed with Visa.

But the message that came across was that technology is not always what it is cracked up to be.

Good Luck

fwh
common law states that if my complaint is reasonable (i.e. that it is reasonable to assume, when booking a holiday, that the airport is in the vicinity of resort where the hotel is located) then their terms and conditions go out of the window and I am entitled to a full refund of my desposit.

That's interesting, where has this come from?

I wouldn't rely on it, and I really do urge that Ros Fernihough be consulted.

I strongly suspect your only way out will be to change the hotel to one in the Marmaris/Dalaman airport area and pay an adminstration fee, but it needs Ros to confirm this.

Peter
drmerlin

What terrible service you seem to be receiving from On the Beach. Their poor telephone service will do nothing to install confidence in this company in those reading of your issue on this site.

I fail to see how they can not accept what appears to be their error and I'm appalled at their lack of courtesy when dealing with you on the telephone.

I do hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.
At the end of the day what people must remember here is that this company is NOT a package holiday company.

So they dont need to offer you transport to your area, your hotel and flight are booked with two different companies! its doing a holiday as an inderpendant.
At the end of the day what people must remember here is that this company is NOT a package holiday company.

I wouldn't be too sure of that, from the website it looks as if it's selling packages to me.

This is an oldish thread, what is your interest Hong_kong_kid, please?

Peter
Hi was this a package you put together yourself using their flights and then their hotels.

As i have tried this and get the flights to Dalaman okay.
When the list of hotels are generated the first few pages are all Dalaman / Marmaris and then a few come up for Antalya and then back to Marmaris, so it would be easy to select an Antalya hotel thinking it was in the Dalaman / Marmaris area.

Hope you get it sorted
It was only 13 days from the last post to mine so it isnt really that old,
On the beach dont sell package holidays they are holidays you put together with them as a go between. What they seem to do is book a block amount of seats on flights then book the hotel as and when they need it for guests.
The best people to advise whether or not they sell package holidays are Trading Standards, (or Ros Fernihough), and the real test is what a Court decides they are doing.

Peter
Hi, i really feel for the situation you are in but I just wanted to say that I went on the OTBeach web site to see if I could find anything in the small print that would help you. When you put Dalaman in your resort choice and then picked your flights to this airport the first 9 pages of hotels where in this area. After that the hotels get further away but it does state on the hotel information that the hotel is in Antalya and travel is to Antalya. I will copy and paste for you: Resort: Antalya
Travel to: Antalya

Maybe they assume that clients will see this and change the airport before they book. I just wanted you to be aware of this before you spend money on taking it further.

But you are right they should be clearer.

Goodluck

sally
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.