General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi
Always used the local taxi firm who were realiable enough going but coming back was a bit of a pain as you had to wait for them in the car park......not ideal. The last couple of years we have used a company called Airport Express. They are great, really professional and they cost less than the local taxis :tup
M
If I am flying fom Brum and it is an awkward time then a taxi (costs about £14) if a convenient time then son or in laws take us. Drop us at the station where they can park for free and we get the rail shuttle to the airport.

If we can't fly from Brum (grrr) then it's the car and off airport parking. Used Purple parking at Heathrow at easter, they were very good.
In June there is 4 of us going so we are taking the car and parking off airport,5 minutes away,we used securapark in Manchester last year and was excellent,you park in a multi storey and take your car keys with you,so we booked with them again for June this year,and £15 cheaper,prices have dropped this year.Flying out again in September,just the 2 of us,so getting our son to drive us for that one.
Hi,

We always take the car & park at Gatwick, usually Flightpath at north terminal. Worked well so far for us.

Deb.
We usually drive to Manchester, stay over at the Marriott and leave the car there. In September we are still going to stay over but use the valet parking at the airport. In March we are parking at the airport, shuttle to LGW and staying over at probably the Sofitel.
Either son or frineds take us to the airport , this year due to saons work commitments and it being a mid week flight we are going to use the train and then the shuttle bus .
We always take our own car and leave it there, we like to be able to go and return as quickly as possible.
We normally leave our car at the aiport because it's cheaper .

Our nearest airport Stansted is only half an hour away but for 5 of us it still costs a min of £50 each way . Double that at least for the next nearest Gatwick .

Our problem now is we are struggling to get 5 of us and 5 cases in our car and normally 1 case has to balance across the boys laps in the back . Ok for half an hour to Stansted but not at least an hour to Gatwick.
If it's just hubby and I, we fly from bristol or Cardiff (our closest airports) which are over an hour and almost 2 hours away so taxis are far too expensive. We usually drive there and use the airport carpark or stay in an airport hotel (or B&B) and park there on a stay and fly package.

When travelling with a group of friends we sometimes go as far as Gatwick and our friend drives us all in a people carrier. If we fly from Gatwick we always stay overnight before the flight and sometimes stay in an hotel after the return journey too (depending on length of flight) because we have a 4 hour journey back home.
We normally use our local taxi firm but this year out of curiosity I looked up the Airport taxis and they are actually a few quid cheaper :) so will be using them which is great as its fixed prices
i always take the car, i like to be in control of things until my baggage goes through the check in. point to always take on board so to speak, if your parking at the airport or anyother near by car parks and you have to leave your keys, check the companys insurance that they are fully covered. asked them if your car gets damaged or stolen can i claim from the car parking, 99% will say you will have to claim off your OWN insurance. then your own insurance will fob you off as you have left your keys with someone else. if you have already booked with someone already, just email them now and ask for a copy of their insurance policy (your entiltedment) and ask about damage and theft who to claim from if such incident happens.
Never mind checking their insurance, have a look at your own! My new policy only gives missed departure cover if you are travelling by public transport (which makes it easy for them to check the claim). Miss the flight because you car breaks down or the taxi is late and you aren't covered. Doesn't bother me because I will be travelling by train but I wonder how many people will get caught out by this.
Private taxi everytime for me (they are also friends so reliable), unless I'm travelling on my own on a short trip when I'll take the car. It's £70 return for us in the taxi that's about the same as 2 weeks parking, so no difference really. I'd rather leave the car on the drive than in a car park and the last thing I want to do after 10 hours on an aircraft is drive for an hour. Means I can enjoy a couple of beers or even champagne on the flight as well without worry :tup

Darren
When its just us four we take the car. However last year and this year there are five of us so its taxi there and and back :tup
We have a very obliging son who will give us a lift, this usually works 9 times out of 10 with his work committments, however this time husband is driving to the airport, so the car is having a weeks rest at East Midlands airport :wave:
We could walk to Manchester airport.................... As we live so near, we either get a taxi or a relative takes us. The taxi drivers hate us when we are coming home, we get in, they say where to, we say Timperley and they groan because they are not getting a big fare! The year before last, the taxi driver had a real go at the taxi marshall because he thought he was getting a good fare - he never spoke to us and didn't help with suitcases, so he didn't even get a tip. !

Denny
well, Donny is rayt on our doorstep but the supplements are that bad we only flew from there about 4 times..in which case family or local taxi ( johnboy lives 2 doors away) tek us. For owt further, we have had taxi again..Johnboy as he does it cheap living on the same street as us...but last time, becuase it were daft o clock we were flying from Manchester, we got a fly and drive deal with premier inn (plus I got discount cos the firm i work for has a business account with them)...and we are doing the same next month as again we fly at daft o clock and need to check in even dafter o clock at Manchester.
I think we've gone every which way we can. Taken our car & parked at the airport, done loads of park & fly, been in a friend's 7 seater, gone with my dad, & by mini bus. This year for a change we're going by train to Machester airport - around 4 hours from us.
We go by car, i always drive there and back , as the missus does the same journey day in/out, it gives her a break and allows her to tell me i'm in the wrong lane as usual. We're lucky as she gets free onsite parking, so only petrol money to pay for.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.